Whose Logo do you gogo?

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2003 05:47 am
There's a giant poster in the Brooklyn Diner that haunted me for a couple of months. I couldn't figure out what was odd about it. It's a shot of thousands of people at Coney Island on a hot summer day at the beach in the late 1940's. Some of the people are standing, looking at the camera, waving at the future. Others are just sitting on the blankets with their kids crawling over and around them and in the distant background you can see the roller coaster. It's definitely New York and New Yorkers because, even in black and white, there is every color of person in the world on that beach, all packed together tightly on the sand.
So what's so odd about this picture?
Every time I looked at it I got the same disjointed feeling, something wasn't right about it and then it hit me.

There's not a logo anywhere.

No Tommy, or CK or a swoop on their hats, there's no writing, obscene or otherwise, on their t-shirts. No ripoffs of cartoon characters or references to rock and roll bands. No NBA, MLB, or World Cup symbols. No flags, or eagles, or Uncle Sams, not even a 'I got this shirt at Coney Island'.

No wait, I went back to look. There is a guy with what appears to be a Chicago Cubs logo on his hat. A C in a circle. One C in a sea of people at the beach.
Arrow
I bring this up because I just got back from the beach and I ask these questions:

when did we become a nation of moving billboards?

When do you remember seeing your first logo on a piece of clothing?

Who's logo do you gogo?

and Why?

Joe Nation
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 7 • Views: 8,155 • Replies: 66
No top replies

Letty

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2003 07:11 am
Hi, Joe,

I own three logo t-shirts and I'm not even certain what they mean. Laughing

I bought them in desperation on the way back from Virginia, because I was extremely warm and didn't have the proper stuff.

Thank God, C.I. sent t-shirts to the Florida gathering bunch, cause it ended up being my T- de jour. Cool
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2003 07:17 am
Let 'em pay to do their own advertising.
cavfancier

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2003 07:18 am
I have three t-shirts from beer companies, 2 from Molson, one from Guiness, all won in trivia contests at pubs. I wear them while cooking. Other than that, I don't wear logos in public, if I can avoid it. My chef outfits have clear 'Chefwear' logos, and also a Nichole Miller credit, who designs wonderful chef gear.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2003 07:24 am
I refuse to wear anything with a logo on it. I'm with Roger on this one -- let them pay for their own friggin' advertising. Now you got me all riled up! I'm gonna have to go beat up an executive.
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2003 07:27 am
Apart from my designer wear, the only other t-shirts I have bear the logo of the company I work for (you know them ones which they hand out at every offiste, company day and stuff ??).

But I refuse to wear them in public for the fear of being beaten up (I work in a bank you see)
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2003 07:33 am
I proudly wear the Converse logo on almost every pair of shoes I own. I buy them in bulk whenever I find them at a good price.

Now they're owned by Nike though - if they change them I will die.

Other than that I don't intentionally set out to buy logo anything though if I find kind of a wacky shirt I'll buy it just for fun.

The first logo-wear I remember were the Izod alligator shirts, then the Ralph Lauren pony shirts. All the rich kids had 'em. I had one that said "POWs never have a nice day."
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2003 07:35 am
Hey, the chef needs pants and jackets....my clients don't pay extra for naked, unfortunately. I am amused, however by a vision of gustav going to work in his avatar.
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2003 07:37 am
So cav, u telling me that you aint the naked chef ?? Laughing
0 Replies

bigdice67

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2003 07:46 am
Nah G! The naked chef is a young un!

<snicker>
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2003 07:52 am
First logo I remember on clothing is blue jeans. Levi's, I think. That big brown leather patch on the back. And KEDS sneakers. NO! Buster Brown shoes. Wasn't there a little dog?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2003 08:10 am
I voted in the poll that I wore no logos. I was wrong. You can't buy a pair of sneakers without some sort of logo. Also, would a discreetly embroidered "Polo", or Izod design on a shirt count?

IMO, I would NEVER buy a shirt with a large logo. If a company wants me to advertise their product, I would need to get paid!
cavfancier

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2003 08:26 am
<ahem> I am only 32, younger indeed than Jamie Oliver I think. Yep, our health regulations strictly forbid me to cook naked, especially when bacon is involved. Laughing
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2003 08:28 am
<shuddering at the thought of overly active bacon grease>

Like Phoenix, I voted for no logo and then forgot, oops, my sneakers have 'em (New Balance). Plus A2K.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2003 08:32 am
Oh, me too, I voted no logos but I have my a2k hat (where is that, anyway?) and wear new balance tennis shoes. But for a shirt -- never on purpose. I don't like people to read my clothes.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2003 10:03 am
My first memory of a logo, I've been thinking about this, is in about 1954. It was a Wheaties Breakfast of Champions t-shirt and one of the big kids at the park was wearing it. We drooled over it. I remember too, somewhat later it seems to me, at being shocked that a kid could have a NY Yankees ballcap. The uniform was for the members of the team, (right?),a kid could buy a pennant for the bedroom wall but a cap ! wow! The Polo shirts and the Izod alligators seem to have followed that, but it's all a little blurry.

After that, everything seemed to have something on it. Davy Crockett, Misquamacut Beach, the Mousekateers, Ford, Chevy, and Budweiser beer (which also said Breakfast of Champions.)

The anti-war movement brought a slew of symbols, slogans and rants.

And I just gave away to the rag company about 200 bicycling and running shirts, so if you wanted the 1984 FreeWheel across Oklahoma shirt or the 1979 Tulsa Run long-sleeve, you missed out.

I used to have people bring me shirts from Fiji or Guyana when they traveled, but wearing them started to feel a little phoney. ( I never wore a running or biking shirt unless I'd actually done the event. ) They are gone too.

I think I'm feeling dis-connected from those days, but I've never understood people who wear a jacket with a six or seven inch logo on it.

What kind of esteem can come from wearing somebody else's name?
==
I think my hats are next.....Bosch tools and Martin guitar, Cirque de Soleil and HOOVER*. Cool

Joe

* Might be the President, might be the vacuum cleaner, might be J. Edgar, only I know for sure, and I'm not always sure.
Confused
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2003 10:08 am
Bosch logos? I value their power tools way beyond the purchase price, but again - they can pay for their own advertising.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2003 10:17 am
I hate the brand name culture. Well, hate may be an extreme word for how I feel about it. I am loyal to Levis, but I don't wear anything by them, but their jeans. I happen to have a lot of Gap clothing only because my sister gives me all her hand-me-downs. She in her second pregnancy, more for me!
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2003 10:24 am
I love my hat from the Gap, because it dosen't say GAP on it anywhere where it can be seen.
I'm using a rippick on the Bosch Power Tools hat, right now it says

ch
ower Tools
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2003 03:09 pm
80% of the shoes in the United States were made in China by some poor individual trying to sustain life on a wage of .30 per hour. Then the suckas over here (my apologies to the A2K members from elsewhere) pay something like 200.00 for a pair of 3.00 sneakers. But, damn, they got that cool label and everyone knows how much they spent on those shoes.

Same goes for the shirts and other attire. The whole sordid affair makes me sick. I am now going to find another executive to beat up. (Gautam, you are safe.)
0 Replies