Whose Logo do you gogo?

sozobe

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2003 03:34 pm
Hmm. I have a fair amount of UW-Madison stuff. I like red. I have various t-shirts from favorite independent/ used bookstores. (The former Hungry Mind, now Ruminator has a great series of shirts with actual quotes from political figures on the back. I have one that dates back to the Bush I era with a quote from Dan Quayle; "What a waste it is to lose one's mind, or not to have a mind as being truly wasteful. How true that is." [emphasis theirs.])

I have a Twins baseball hat and a Packers shirt.

That's about it.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2003 05:55 pm
sozobe, I suggest you burn the Packers shirt.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2003 06:17 pm
I would have died for a pair of Jordache jeans in junior high.
In highschool, I was a jock emblazzoned in nike, adidas, converse or favourite team jersey's. Then I discovered punk rock, the wardrobe and the attitude to match. Unless it was fluevlogs or Doc Martins, my crowd generally showed disdain for name brands.
When I worked in the hospitality game, I had tons of marked parafanalia. My brother has most of the t-shirts now, he roofs and doesn't mind ruining them.
Now I wear very few logos aside from the maple leaf once in a while and my levis, love em a whole lot.

Ceili
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2003 08:15 pm
I will never, ever burn my Packers shirt.

I just read an article about some guy they just got to be backup quarterback, and my heart skipped a beat -- you mean, to replace BRETT?? I love Brett. When he retires, maybe, maybe, I'll stop loving the Packers.

But that shirt is from the Super Bowl year, and that ain't goin' anywhere, ever.

Hey, weren't you their defensive end in the 70's or so?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2003 08:16 pm
(Ceili, good point about Fluevogs and Docs. Hadn't thought of them as brandname/ logos, but they so are.)
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 2 Aug, 2003 06:08 am
Morning, all. I will have to comment on the other side of the logo stuff. I have a pair of loafers that I have had for eons. They are Bass wigens loafers and they still retain their shape and sheen. I have definitely gotten my money's worth out of those shoes, and there is no logo. If a name stands for quality, then I'm for it. Just one brief comment about "made in America" stuff. When Lee Iacocco touted "Buy American" we bought a Dodge Monaco which turned out to have a Canadian body and a French engine. Shocked That car still runs like a hant. Razz
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sat 2 Aug, 2003 06:28 am
I remember Doc Martin's..de rigeuer for my Goth/Punk self in high school. I actually thought the labels looked silly, so I cut them off. Also, the laces that came with the boots were yellow if I recall. One day some punk asks me "Yellow laces? So what, you hate Chinese people?" If there was ever an argument for abortion...
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sat 2 Aug, 2003 07:02 am
My favorite t-shirt ever said:

Diana's PK 7 Grocery and Restaurant (front)
God Bless America and All The Greeks (back)

I suppose that counts as a logo.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sat 2 Aug, 2003 07:50 am
As a kid, I went to YPT theatre camp (Torontonians will know what I am talking about) and our final project was of course, to put on an original play for all the folks. One of our bits was an acoustic punk band with me as singer, and a friend on guitar. We couldn't use profanity, so I slashed up a grey t-shirt and just wrote "Leave me alone" on it. That was my favorite t-shirt.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sat 2 Aug, 2003 10:15 am
The first logo I remember was a white circle on Keds sneakers. Or maybe it was the Levi's patch on a pair of jeans.

I don't wear advertising, but I do own several things that have logos on them. I do free-lance work for a company. At one point the company got really fine jackets for its employees. It had the decency to send a jacket to me. Touched the cockles of my heart. I wear the jacket not because my cockles were touched but because it's a terrific jacket for the fall. And it has lots of pockets. It's got a small, tasteful logo on the upper left front.

When I was sailing in Maine, I needed a hat. One of the locals gave me a painter's (house painter) visor with some kind of local advertising on it. I kept it and wear it once in a great while.

My only other logoed bit of apparel is my Yankees cap, which I wear when the Yankees are in the World Series. It hasn't been on my head in a while. Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 2 Aug, 2003 04:54 pm
i don't think i've got anything with noticeable logos on that i've paid for. i've got some YPT shirts from when i helped at their fund-raising galas for a few years. usually you can only tell 'whose' clothes i'm wearing if a tag is hanging out somewhere, and someone hasn't tucked it in for me.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 2 Aug, 2003 05:21 pm
Very Happy
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sat 2 Aug, 2003 05:42 pm
I saw an advertisement for a pretty funny tee shirt today.

To get to it you have to type Weapons of Mass Destruction in Google and press the I'm Feeling Lucky button. You'll eventually get to this:

http://prodtn.cafepress.com/1/6739741_F_tn.jpg
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 2 Aug, 2003 06:35 pm
HA! That's pretty good.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sat 2 Aug, 2003 06:59 pm
Did you try going through Google? That's funny... especially the first page -- which will fool you until you read it carefully. There are even links to Amazon UK. Someone spent a lot of time on it.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 2 Aug, 2003 07:06 pm
Yep, that's been going around for a while. I think they keep adjusting it, though. First time I've seen the t-shirt.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2003 08:58 am
Really, it's been going on a while? That makes sense, it is so involved -- all those links.
0 Replies

marycat

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2003 09:30 am
I wear the logo on my chef pants, because they're good pants, not because there's a logo. I wear Merrell shoes to work because they're amazingly comfortable. I found out after buying these that Brian only works in Merrells as well. (I tried on every clog in several stores before finding one that felt secure and comfortable to me.)

If I'm not working, I'm probably not wearing a logo, unless it's a free shirt from a liquor or beer company. But I won't wear one from Anheuser Busch (anti-labor) or Coors (nazis.) I'll also wear the Levi's leather patch on my jeans because I love the way they fit. And I wear the Converse All-Stars that I bought before Nike bought out the company.

As a child, I remember Keds, Adidas, and Reeboks were all very cool. So were Izod alligators and anything from Marithe et Francois de Girbaud. It was kind of strange, I remember seeing a lot of Girbaud for a while, then nothing for about fifteen years, then suddenly it was very hot again. Fashion cycles.
0 Replies

marycat

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2003 09:32 am
Also, I carry around a bag with the French Culinary Institute logo, because that's where I went to cooking school. And it was free-with-tuition. And it's a good, big, bag. And the zipper on this one hasn't broken yet.
0 Replies

oldandknew

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2003 09:50 am
The only logo/shirt I wear is the England Rugby Football shirt with the BT Cellnet Logo. Love the team, but screw the logo. I won the shirt in a magazine competition
0 Replies