Internet use at work

TTH

Reply Sat 28 Jul, 2007 05:22 am
Joe Nation wrote:
{sigh} Do we think that kind of response make you think you're needed??? God, what an attitude.

Do you ever talk to your boss? Why are you asking us when the person with the answer is apparently sitting not too far from where you are?

Joe(the one who is willing to help you make an antenna.)Nation
Joe Nation, maybe that is the way he talks to his boss (email). What gives you the impression that "the person with the answer is apparently sitting not too far........"? Maybe that person is in another city and that is how they communicate.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sat 28 Jul, 2007 05:54 am
Really? What's the manager going to do to help him with the antenna? Fly in from the other location?

And no one said he couldn't talk via email. He hasn't asked the question to the person with the answer.

Have some coffee.

Joe(jeez)Nation
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 28 Jul, 2007 05:55 am
I agree with Joe Nation on all counts.

soz(jeez)obe
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Sat 28 Jul, 2007 06:15 am
Joe Nation wrote:
{sigh} Do we think that kind of response make you think you're needed??? God, what an attitude.

Do you ever talk to your boss? Why are you asking us when the person with the answer is apparently sitting not too far from where you are?
You said "Do you ever talk to your boss?" I only suggested that is the way he talks to his boss. You also said "Why are you asking us when the person with the answer is apparently sitting not too far from where you are?" It isn't apparent that the person with the answer is sitting not too far.....

The only reason I wrote that was because I do know someone that works for a company and the only way they communicate with their boss is through email. The boss is not at the same location. I still haven't figured out how the boss can do evaluations on the employees he never sees.
0 Replies

Jeremiah

Reply Sat 28 Jul, 2007 12:07 pm
I really don't know who exactly is my "boss". I'm in the engineering department and my supervisor is in that department. My "manager" is in the operations department and he's vice president of the department. But this "manager" is now letting me know he's responsibe for monitoring the internet usage in the company. So when I e-mailed this manager, I copied my supervisor on the e-mails I sent to this operations manager.

All of us are in the same building.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sun 29 Jul, 2007 10:17 pm
Jeremiah wrote:
Okay...I finally had the nerve to ask my manager (via e-mail) about this and this is what he wrote:

Quote:
Streaming audio is a huge bandwidth hog and it is not permissible. If you are listening to FM then have one of the engineers hook up a dipole antenna for you. The policy is not meant to make anyone uncomfortable or not enjoy working here. We just cannot continue to tie up bandwidth with non-business related activities. Out T1 usage is so out of line with normal companies that we have been called a couple of times by our service provider to warn us that we have maxxed out our T1 connection.

If the engineers cannot help you with the antenna, I will make one for you.

This is what I need to improve the FM reception of my clock radio in my bedroom. I looked up the instructions for making a dipole antenna. Does anyone know if I may already have the necessary wires at home to make this with, such as coax cable, ethernet cable, telephone line cable, couple feet of a flat ribbon cable from an old rabbit ears antenna, etc.

Also, if there isn't a port on the radio labeled for an external FM antenna, what would be the best method for attaching it to the radio?
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Mon 30 Jul, 2007 04:32 am
You can buy a "T" FM Antenna at Radio Shack pre-made. They also sell the flat antenna wire in small lengths.

Joe(I'm listening.)Nation
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Mon 30 Jul, 2007 05:55 am
i dont understand why people care what you do with your time, ive noticed people with more freedom at work are generally more happy, and productive.

Which leads me to belive most companies want their employees miserable. they took out the offie radio like 2 months ago and my internet use has skyrocketed, staring at cameras for 8 hours is mind numbing, and i did a better job with the damn radio! stupid managers and directors.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Mon 30 Jul, 2007 10:39 am
Okay, what about the second question. What do I do if there is no secondary or external antenna port on the radio? Where do I attach the T antenna?

Joe Nation wrote:
You can buy a "T" FM Antenna at Radio Shack pre-made. They also sell the flat antenna wire in small lengths.

Joe(I'm listening.)Nation
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2007 01:15 pm
Anyone else know the answer to the question?
0 Replies

Jeremiah

Reply Fri 3 Aug, 2007 07:21 pm
Can I play PC games in my work computer without using the online gaming and not get detected by my manager who's monitoring the internet usage?
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Fri 3 Aug, 2007 08:52 pm
Jeremiah wrote:
Can I play PC games in my work computer without using the online gaming and not get detected by my manager who's monitoring the internet usage?

Your manager would be better off without you.

You are employed by the company and therefore should use your time productively to enhance the financial status of said company.

With your attitude it is no wonder your manager is trying to alienate you.
0 Replies

Jeremiah

Reply Fri 3 Aug, 2007 09:26 pm
Can anyone else answer my question? I only meant to play the games in my break times. An employee will be miserable and disgrunteld if he's not allowed some minutes of entertainment after laboring for hours.

And after being miserable and disgruntled, productively to enhance the financial status of said company will surely fail.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Fri 3 Aug, 2007 10:39 pm
You can do what ever you want while at work at the company. The important question to ask yourself is are you prepared to live with the consequences of choosing to do what ever you want while at work at the company?

If not being able to play a game during work hours is enough to make you miserable and disgruntled, you should rethink your career choice and take a look at employment at a gaming or entertainment company. Just be sure that they don't also have high productivity work standards for their employees.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Fri 3 Aug, 2007 10:44 pm
Jeremiah wrote:
I only meant to play the games in my break times.

Why then do you feel the need to hide this from your manager?

Dont forget the drive space your game takes up and hardware also belong to your employer.
0 Replies

Jeremiah

Reply Fri 3 Aug, 2007 11:53 pm
Butrflynet wrote:
You can do what ever you want while at work at the company. The important question to ask yourself is are you prepared to live with the consequences of choosing to do what ever you want while at work at the company?

If not being able to play a game during work hours is enough to make you miserable and disgruntled, you should rethink your career choice and take a look at employment at a gaming or entertainment company. Just be sure that they don't also have high productivity work standards for their employees.

I won't be miserable if I play my games during my break (not work) hours. You misunderstood me.
0 Replies

Jeremiah

Reply Fri 3 Aug, 2007 11:56 pm
dadpad wrote:
Jeremiah wrote:
I only meant to play the games in my break times.

Why then do you feel the need to hide this from your manager?

Dont forget the drive space your game takes up and hardware also belong to your employer.

I have enough drive space and don't tell me office workers never use the internet for personal use.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sat 4 Aug, 2007 12:13 am
Jerimiah Read my lips.

THIS IS NOT Your COMPUTER, THIS IS NOT your
time.

Try to understand that you are at work to be of service to your employer in return for which he pays you a sum of money. He provides you with a computer to make your tasks easier, more accurate and you more productive and highly skilled- Not for you to play computer games.
0 Replies

Jeremiah

Reply Sat 4 Aug, 2007 12:23 am
I'm only saying that in order for the employee to be productive, he or she must have some sort of entertainment to relieve the stress of working. That's why we have coffee, lunch breaks, personal time off, vacation hours, etc., I'm not saying playing my games during company time but on my two ten-minute breaks and 45 minute lunch break (state law).
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Sat 4 Aug, 2007 12:39 am
Jeremiah, from what I've read, you're whiny and high maintenance and you would not be working for me for long. Your issues with entertainment (on your break time or not) seem to be a major concern to you. That would be a major concern to me.

You are at work. For heaven's sake, grow up and just work while you are there, go for a damn walk on your breaks, and play your stupid music when you are at home!
0 Replies