Internet use at work

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2007 01:58 pm
I have a question maybe you can help me. I like to listen to internet radio and this guy who is starting to monitor internet usages from employees at my company said I'm not allowed to download something to hear a radio show. Can I stream the internet radio directly to my computer instead of downloading it without getting notices from this manager?

This is the e-mail I received from this particualar manager:

Quote:
"Hello so-and-so,

We have been having serious problems lately with our slow internet connection so I have started to monitor our internet usage by work station.

I noticed that you have download/uploaded approximately 11 megabytes of data in the last hour. This amount of data transfer for work related issues is certainly normal and within your job function. However, if this is for personal use then you need to please curtail this.

Your cooperation is appreciated"
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,530 • Replies: 48
No top replies

fishin

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2007 02:23 pm
Data is data. He isn't going to care if you download and then listen to it or you listen as it downloads (i.e. streaming). In the end it is the same amount of data being downloaded.

Unless you get an alternative Internet connection (i.e. through your cell phone, local WiFi access, etc..) there isn't any way to get around your issue directly. You could download the Inetrnet Radio clips at home and burn them to CD or DVD and listen to them at work though.
0 Replies

Jeremiah

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2007 02:59 pm
Can I still listen to internet radio during my coffe and lunch breaks or is that still taking advanage of "company time"?
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2007 03:03 pm
I wouldn't do it. Your manager has already objected to you using
the internet for personal use, it would not matter if it's done while you're
having a coffee break.

Take the hint and comply!
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2007 03:25 pm
Jeremiah wrote:
Can I still listen to internet radio during my coffe and lunch breaks or is that still taking advanage of "company time"?

If doesn't look to me like that care WHEN you are using it. Their concern is the bandwidth used and you'd be using it no whether you are on break or not.

Continued use is just asking for troubles...
0 Replies

Jeremiah

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2007 07:03 pm
What about posting stuff in this forum like I'm doing right now. Is that okay? I'm not streaming or downloading anything.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2007 07:40 pm
I guess I'd ask what your employer's policy is on personal use of the IT resources. Posting here doesn't use anywhere close to the bandwidth that listening to Internet radio uses but if personal use isn't allowed then they'd probably frown on you being here as well.

This is really something that only your employer can answer...
0 Replies

Jeremiah

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2007 08:43 pm
Keep in mind I noticed some of my co-workers have been downloading movies, videos, music etc. on their computer and watching t.v. network videos from various websites. I think this manager is singling me out for some reason....
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2007 09:34 pm
CalamityJane wrote:
I wouldn't do it. Your manager has already objected to you using
the internet for personal use, it would not matter if it's done while you're
having a coffee break.

Take the hint and comply!
I didn't get that message from what the manager said in the email. "......However, if this is for personal use then you need to please curtail this." This leads me to believe the manager suspects personal use and is saying if it is personal, then cut back.

I agree with fishin on asking the manager what the policy is of internet use for personal reasons. I would suggest whatever the policy is, that it be put in writing (in a policy manual, not an email), especially if you are told it is okay. Most companies that I know of don't allow personal use of the company equipment.

As far as your co-workers are concerned. How do you know they did not receive an email also concerning internet usage. Also, maybe what they are doing is something the manager assigned them to do.
0 Replies

Jeremiah

Reply Thu 26 Jul, 2007 09:55 pm
Look...all I want is to hear music and/or talk shows when I work. It helps my mind to be alert and concentrate better on my tasks. I'm sure there are millions of office workers who listen to music or talk shows on the computer. I like to bring my own radio but I don't get any reception from my windowless office.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Thu 26 Jul, 2007 10:05 pm
You might want to google the word "ipod".

It's amazing the technology today. You can actually listen to music without the internet or a radio.

You could also burn a cd filled with mp3s to play on your computer.
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Fri 27 Jul, 2007 05:38 am
Jeremiah wrote:
Look...all I want is to hear music and/or talk shows when I work. It helps my mind to be alert and concentrate better on my tasks. I'm sure there are millions of office workers who listen to music or talk shows on the computer. I like to bring my own radio but I don't get any reception from my windowless office.
I still think this is something you need to take up with your manager. That is what I would do. When I owned a company (s-corp), I allowed certain workers to listen to music while they worked and others could not. It depended on the job they were doing. I also compiled a company manual that set work policy that way everyone knew what was expected of them.
0 Replies

Jeremiah

Reply Fri 27 Jul, 2007 10:07 am
I've been doing this for 11 years working as a machinist

I've been doing this for 3 years working as a draftsman

I've been doing this for 9 years (to present) working as a mechanical designer. I'm not about to stop now...
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Fri 27 Jul, 2007 12:31 pm
You would if your company came up with a policy of no internet use at work, especially on their computers. You would not have a choice. Either stop or get fired, either way, you would stop.
0 Replies

Jeremiah

Reply Fri 27 Jul, 2007 05:12 pm
Okay...I finally had the nerve to ask my manager (via e-mail) about this and this is what he wrote:

Quote:
Streaming audio is a huge bandwidth hog and it is not permissible. If you are listening to FM then have one of the engineers hook up a dipole antenna for you. The policy is not meant to make anyone uncomfortable or not enjoy working here. We just cannot continue to tie up bandwidth with non-business related activities. Out T1 usage is so out of line with normal companies that we have been called a couple of times by our service provider to warn us that we have maxxed out our T1 connection.

If the engineers cannot help you with the antenna, I will make one for you.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 27 Jul, 2007 05:42 pm
Seems like a reasonable answer.

And there are lots of personal players which play any of your music AND have FM receivers built in.

Joe(go shopping)Nation
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 27 Jul, 2007 05:53 pm
Wow, that's a nice response. Especially offering to make you the antenna himself.
0 Replies

Jeremiah

Reply Fri 27 Jul, 2007 06:42 pm
You think that kind of response makes me think I'm needed in that company?

And what if I download my music from my home computer and transfer my music files to my work computer....will that be okay since I'm not using the company's internet?
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Sat 28 Jul, 2007 03:58 am
Jeremiah wrote:
And what if I download my music from my home computer and transfer my music files to my work computer....will that be okay since I'm not using the company's internet?

Yup! That's why I suggested it way back on page 1. Wink
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sat 28 Jul, 2007 05:10 am
Jeremiah wrote:
You think that kind of response makes me think I'm needed in that company?

{sigh} Do we think that kind of response make you think you're needed??? God, what an attitude.

Do you ever talk to your boss? Why are you asking us when the person with the answer is apparently sitting not too far from where you are?

Joe(the one who is willing to help you make an antenna.)Nation
0 Replies