The things you just know.

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2007 09:25 am
What are the things that are eternally taught?Im not talking about writing or maths but the things that live on and on.

eg, Titanic, I wasnt there when it happened, Id known about it when i was a kid way before the film came out..who told me about it and why?

Yellow submarine by the Beatles, again, not around when i was a kid, cant have been played enough on the radio for me to have picked it up but I know of it and could sing along.

What else can you think of?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,999 • Replies: 20
No top replies

Chai

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2007 09:46 am
Nat King Cole....I can't have Christmas without him singing "chestnuts roasting on an open fire....."
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2007 09:52 am
material girl, I am glad that you started this thread, because I have felt that I have genetic memory, and I am NOT talking about instinct. I know songs that I should NOT know, for example Japanese Sandman. This is my way of book marking, and I would like to see what others contribute.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2007 12:08 pm
This is my bookmark. When I was very small (I want to say 6) I remember having the epiphany that it was great to be a girl because then I wouldn't have to go to war. And I had a very real (to me) sense of what it would be like to be in a war and to feel like it was only a matter of time before your time was up, that the odds were good you'd die, and that it really wasn't something you could control. I suppose I could have seen a movie or something, but it seemed like such a strange thing for a little girl to know.

I also was acutely aware of racism (like the above it was the epiphany of how lucky I was to be white) though my parents did not impart that to me.
0 Replies

Doowop

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2007 12:30 pm
Every year at about this time, I always get the sudden realisation that it's exactly five months to Christmas day.
0 Replies

happycat

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2007 12:35 pm
I think a lot of it is what you've picked up from your parents, conversations around the house between family members, things that are heard on radio or tv when you think you're not paying attention.
It's like those tapes that you can play while you're sleeping to learn a language, etc.; you acquire knowlege of things subliminally.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2007 12:49 pm
That makes perfect sense. And little children are perfect sponges.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2007 12:51 pm
Freeduck, this may seem to be inapppopriate, but would you consider giving me head?

I long for your bill.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2007 12:52 pm
,gustav leans back in his chair and awaits the yellow-billed freeduck's advance>
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2007 12:56 pm
Whose head would you like, dear?
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2007 01:46 pm
MaterialGirl--

I think you mean "zeitgeist", the Spirit of the Age.

For more:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zeitgeist
0 Replies

flakker

Reply Sat 11 Aug, 2007 10:18 pm
jay z is banging rihanna

september 11 was about israel.

i was 12 at the time and i just knew when i saw the pictures this had to do with palestine.
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Mon 13 Aug, 2007 06:20 am
i know things i shouldnt, but i attribute it to basically educated guesses.

im just good at triangulating information when i dont have the complete picture.

i dont know how to say it.

And when i was small, i used to see people smoking tweak and i dont know why i always used to think they were smoking death, i would picture skulls and ****.(hmm now that i think about it, it might have been because they looked so skinny and skeletal?)

thats the only time i remember knowing something before i really knew it.lol.
0 Replies

Mr Nice

Reply Sun 9 Sep, 2007 11:59 am
Mr Bean is another one. Laughing
0 Replies

Aimus

Reply Tue 11 Sep, 2007 07:48 pm
Things you just know
What about other things you just know? Dreams? Having to call your family because you have a bad feeling? Or seeing the news on TV and feeling releived? My great-grandmother told me the other day that I have the "Same" feelings as her mother. I will call all family members when I have the "feeling" to make sure they are O.K. Most of the time when I have a "feeling", it's an earthquake. What do you think of that? Trust me...It's not fun to have them. They usually make me nauseous.
0 Replies

averner

Reply Wed 12 Sep, 2007 12:51 am
mandala
0 Replies

Mr Nice

Reply Fri 21 Sep, 2007 01:46 am
Alexander Graham Bell.

Is it spelled right?
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Fri 21 Sep, 2007 02:11 am
In BrE, it is spelt right...

In AmE, it is spelled right too...
0 Replies

tinygiraffe

Reply Fri 21 Sep, 2007 05:07 am
there's a lot more to the world than this.

i relate best to agnostics, i don't think god has any use for ontological loyalty, (i don't think it's possible to know if it/s/he/they do/es) i'm not saying "there's a god."

i just think we shut most of the world out of the mind.

how much of the entire universe (jim jones's or arthur c. clarke's) can we experience in a lifetime? a f*** of a lot more than we bother to, and it's gotta be worth looking for it, regardless of the terminology- regardless of "religion."
0 Replies

Mr Nice

Reply Thu 27 Sep, 2007 09:04 am
Neil Amstrong is another one.
0 Replies