Would you agree -- men talk as much as women?

Reply Sat 21 Jul, 2007 04:05 am
A recent study by a University of Arizona psychologist showed that there isn't a significant difference between the amount of words spoken by men and women on a typical day.

I am still trying to come to terms with it. Yes, men talk. Some talk a lot. But in my observation, most men don't talk as much as most women.

Another limitation: The participants were all college students and North Americans.

What about the older population, and other cultures?

This is basically a serendipitous discovery. Mehl and his team are working on a bigger project where they are trying to find out how our personalities affect what we say and how we say it. This study was actually a part of that project.

Link to paper: http://www.sciencemag.org/cgi/content/full/317/5834/82
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,637 • Replies: 28
No top replies

Coolwhip

Reply Sat 21 Jul, 2007 04:57 am
Women tend to ask questions to make sure everybody participates in the debate, men tend to engage in long monologues that should be better and more funny than the monologue that preceded it.

There is no denying the difference between the sexes, but as to who speaks the most I have heard studys claiming both.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 21 Jul, 2007 05:00 am
Quote:
Would you agree -- men talk as much as women?

Naw . . .
0 Replies

Vengoropatubus

Reply Sun 22 Jul, 2007 01:47 am
Maybe the difference comes in length of speech rather than quantity of words spoken?
0 Replies

Quincy

Reply Sun 22 Jul, 2007 04:55 am
Vengoropatubus wrote:
Maybe the difference comes in length of speech rather than quantity of words spoken?

Are you saying the one sex speaks very slowly?
0 Replies

spidergal

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2007 04:44 am
Coolwhip wrote:

There is no denying the difference between the sexes, but as to who speaks the most I have heard studys claiming both.

Perhaps, you could lead us to some of the studies? I have scoured all the news wires, but failed to locate any study on this topic.

Studies aside:

During the pre-historic times, women lived in their caves tending to the children and domestic animals while men ventured out in the jungles to hunt. So, all women gathered over and talked until their men returned. Hence, women naturally developed an affinity for talking. That is believed to be the evolutionary basis for female talkativeness.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2007 05:05 am
I think the old stereotype about women being just "gab, gab, gab", and men being just "screw me, and hand me the remote and a beer" is largely myth. I think men talk a lot more than they want to believe about themselves.
0 Replies

Vengoropatubus

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2007 11:26 am
spidergal wrote:
Coolwhip wrote:

Perhaps, you could lead us to some of the studies? I have scoured all the news wires, but failed to locate any study on this topic.

Studies aside:

During the pre-historic times, women lived in their caves tending to the children and domestic animals while men ventured out in the jungles to hunt. So, all women gathered over and talked until their men returned. Hence, women naturally developed an affinity for talking. That is believed to be the evolutionary basis for female talkativeness.

Wouldn't that require that women be an entirely different species?
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2007 12:15 pm
My concern wouldn't be the number of words spoken (which is what the study focused on) but the content and context of the words.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2007 12:50 pm
I think that if you looked at a large enough population you would find no significant difference in talkativeness. fishin's concern is interesting. If it were a study of content and context, what do you supposed it mind find?
0 Replies

Quincy

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2007 02:10 pm
FreeDuck wrote:
I think that if you looked at a large enough population you would find no significant difference in talkativeness. fishin's concern is interesting. If it were a study of content and context, what do you supposed it mind find?

Men talk about ideas, women, about people......or not......
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2007 02:11 pm
I just noticed my freudian typo -- "mind find".
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2007 02:43 pm
i know women who talk a lot... and those who talk little (myself included in real life)

i know men who talk a lot (i've a friend who's phone call i never accept, i just let him leave a message...) and those who speak little.

in my humble experience this isn't a gender thing.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2007 02:47 pm
FreeDuck wrote:

I suspect that if they just look at the content and context they'd find that women discuss "personal" (family, friends, etc..) issues more then men do and men would discuss work and sports more than women.

But if they looked even deeper I think they'd find that the disparity woiuld be because women are the primary care provider for children more often then men.

If they "normalized" the numbers to acount for those types of factors I suspect there wouldn't be any major difference between the genders.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2007 02:50 pm
Rapport/ report.
0 Replies

spidergal

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2007 10:35 am
I read (okay, am reading) this
today. Good read.
0 Replies

spidergal

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2007 10:38 am
dagmaraka wrote:
i know women who talk a lot... and those who talk little (myself included in real life)

i know men who talk a lot (i've a friend who's phone call i never accept, i just let him leave a message...) and those who speak little.

in my humble experience this isn't a gender thing.

But we actually are dealing with majority. My experience is different than yours, as I stated earlier on in the thread. So, you never know, really.
0 Replies

spidergal

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2007 10:40 am
fishin wrote:
FreeDuck wrote:

I suspect that if they just look at the content and context they'd find that women discuss "personal" (family, friends, etc..) issues more then men do and men would discuss work and sports more than women.

But if they looked even deeper I think they'd find that the disparity woiuld be because women are the primary care provider for children more often then men.

Of course, this is all common observation, and I suspect Mehl and his team are going to study this next thing.
0 Replies

spidergal

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2007 10:49 am
snood wrote:
I think the old stereotype about women being just "gab, gab, gab", and men being just "screw me, and hand me the remote and a beer" is largely myth. I think men talk a lot more than they want to believe about themselves.

Let's make a deal.

Just like women are moving about and going to work (who were earlier on believed to be only suitable for household chores) in this new age, maybe men have "started" talking more (who were always believed to be "mind-their-business" types silent people focused on bread winning).

I guess the old stereotype of laconic men did exist at some point. Only that since the function of men and women in this age has become so intertwined that the old "habits" of men (and even women) are dying.
0 Replies

Doowop

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2007 11:44 am
I'm sure that I could talk just as much as a woman if I managed to get a word in edgeways now and then.
0 Replies