Equus

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2007 08:39 pm
I have been told that all faithful Sikh men have the last name "Singh" and that all faithful Sikh women have the last name "Kaur". Is this true? I'm told singh means lion. What does Kaur mean? Doesn't this lead to much confusion with many people with the same last name?

What is the relationship of Sikhism to Hinduism and Islam, if any?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 927 • Replies: 11
No top replies

roger

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2007 11:59 pm
Well, I've been under the impression that all Sherpas share the first name of Sherpa. Like Sherpa Tenzig Norgay.

Nice of you to drop in every so often, Equus.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 21 Jul, 2007 12:00 am
Hmmm. Maybe Sherpa is more of an honorific than a name?
0 Replies

spidergal

Reply Sat 21 Jul, 2007 03:22 am
Where did you hear this? I am familiar with a number of Sikhs. In fact, there are more Sikhs in my locale than there are Hindus. But I have never heard of such a thesis. Yes, Singh is probably the most common surname among Sikhs, but there are several others that I know of -- Nagra, Bagga, Dillon etc. I have never felt that Singhs and Kaurs are more pious/faithful than the others. And by the way, my father's middle name, even when he is not a Sikh, is Singh. In a way, I, too, am a Singh.

A Sikh could answer this best. I'll ask around.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 21 Jul, 2007 05:04 am
Sikh and you shall find . . .
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sat 21 Jul, 2007 06:50 am
I'll have a "Miller Lite", while you at it... Cool
0 Replies

IFeelFree

Reply Sat 21 Jul, 2007 01:16 pm
Re: Sikhism
Equus wrote:
What is the relationship of Sikhism to Hinduism and Islam, if any?

Sikhism and Hinduism both started in India and there appear to be many similarities. However, Hinduism seems to promote more of a mood of detachment from the world, whereas Sikhism more of an engagement in worldly pursuits.
0 Replies

Equus

Reply Sat 21 Jul, 2007 07:05 pm
spidergal wrote:
Where did you hear this? I am familiar with a number of Sikhs. In fact, there are more Sikhs in my locale than there are Hindus. But I have never heard of such a thesis. Yes, Singh is probably the most common surname among Sikhs, but there are several others that I know of -- Nagra, Bagga, Dillon etc. I have never felt that Singhs and Kaurs are more pious/faithful than the others. And by the way, my father's middle name, even when he is not a Sikh, is Singh. In a way, I, too, am a Singh.

A Sikh could answer this best. I'll ask around.

Somewhere in the distant past. Recently I was employed doing data entry and I came upon a great many Singhs married to Kaurs, and I was reminded of what I had heard once upon a time.
Perhaps not ALL Sikhs use these surnames, but I think a great many do.

Maybe it is like certain Amish communities I'm familiar with, where there are only three or four surnames for the whole community.
0 Replies

Equus

Reply Sat 21 Jul, 2007 07:07 pm
...And didn't I read somewhere that Sikh men, as part of their religion, are supposed to wear a symbolic dagger. This has been a great problem on airlines with Homeland Security.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 21 Jul, 2007 07:40 pm
All I know about sikhs from my own experience is that they are hard to sit behind in a movie theater.

So, I'll listen, re the thread.

But -- very nice to see the quiet Equus.
0 Replies

Tico

Reply Sat 21 Jul, 2007 08:42 pm
Sikhism
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Sikhism (IPA: ['siːkɪz(ə)m] (helpĀ·info) or ['sɪk-] (info); Punjabi: ਸਿੱਖੀ, sikkhī, IPA: ['sɪk.kʰiː] (info)) is a religion that began in fifteenth century Northern India with the teachings of Nanak and nine successive human gurus. This system of religious philosophy and expression has been traditionally known as the Gurmat (literally the counsel of the gurus) or the Sikh Dharma. Sikhism comes from the word Sikh, which in turn comes from the Sanskrit root śiṣya meaning "disciple" or "learner", or śikṣa meaning "instruction."[1][2] Sikhism is the fifth-largest religion in the world, and is generally considered the fifth largest organized religion, depending on how one defines an "organized religion".[3]

link
0 Replies

stevewonder

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2007 04:21 pm
sikhs dont remove any hair??????? Shocked
0 Replies