Anthropic principle, mulitverse and God

IFeelFree

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2007 11:12 am
Steve 41oo wrote:
interesting.

but these are no more than speculative thoughts. We could never devise an experiment to test them.

That is probably not true. For one thing, experimental tests of Bell's Theorem have shown that a local hidden variables theory is not supported by the experimental evidence. The theory must be non-local. Future experiments may yield more insight. Another route to experimental verification of non-local hidden variables theory may be through current developments in quantum chaos. However, I don't know if this has been explored experimentally. I think the problem is that the vast majority of cutting-edge theoretical physicists are focused on the Standard Model and efforts to merge quantum theory with general relativity. Experiments to investigate the fundamental interpretation of quantum mechanics and the measurement problem are not high on the agenda.
Steve 41oo

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2007 12:07 pm
well if we can devise an experiment to test the multiverse hypothesis, we can probably do the same for the existence of God.

How much I wish these navel gazers would stop jetting round the world holding "workshops" on string theory, and apply their considerable talents to stopping war feeding the hungry curing disease and generally working out how we are all going to live together in the dawning anthropocene.
0 Replies

IFeelFree

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2007 12:47 pm
Steve 41oo wrote:
How much I wish these navel gazers would stop jetting round the world holding "workshops" on string theory, and apply their considerable talents to stopping war feeding the hungry curing disease and generally working out how we are all going to live together in the dawning anthropocene.

I wouldn't be too hard on the scientists. Improving the quality of life for the growing world population is going to require the application of technology as well as evolution of human consciousness. There are plenty of scientists and engineers who are working on ways of developing alternative energy sources, improving crop yields and hardiness, developing new medicines and medical techniques, etc. Only a very small group of top theoretical gets to work on subjects like string theory and unification in physics, and get paid for it. We don't want to cut out theoretical work altogether because we don't know what it might lead to. I'm sure that physicists in the first half of the 20th century who were working on quantum theory were thought to be "pie in the sky" theorists. Without those theoretical breakthroughs in quantum theory we wouldn't know about semiconductors. We wouldn't have digital electronics. No computers, no internet, no digital storage. You and I wouldn't be able to have this conversation online. All of the efficiencies of world-wide communication that the internet has made possible wouldn't exist. It will take time before we can know what current research on fundamental physics will lead to.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2007 01:25 pm
Steve 41oo wrote:
well if we can devise an experiment to test the multiverse hypothesis, we can probably do the same for the existence of God.

I wonder if that can happen so long as religions act to divide.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2007 03:14 pm
It is not just religion which divides people--and in fact, the history of wars in the modern age (since about 1500) strongly suggests that politics will always trump religion, even if the latter is used as the casus belli. In fact, the largest barrier today to economic and social equity in the world is capitalism, which seeks the lowest wages and the least burden of fair labor law and environmental responsibility.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2007 04:07 pm
Setanta wrote:
It is not just religion which divides people--and in fact, the history of wars in the modern age (since about 1500) strongly suggests that politics will always trump religion, even if the latter is used as the casus belli. In fact, the largest barrier today to economic and social equity in the world is capitalism, which seeks the lowest wages and the least burden of fair labor law and environmental responsibility.
Right. So what we have to do is overthrow the capitalist system. I'll start here, you start there, we'll meet somewhere in the Atlantic.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2007 04:38 pm
I don't see an impassible either-or dilemma here. Except, perhaps, for the exhorbitant funds spend on space research, scientific research may really pay off someday in practical benefits (atomic fusion comes to mind). But I'm glad that physicists are doing theoretical work just like I'm glad philosophers are studying the nature of knowing, etc. I recall when I studied painting in Mexico City in the 50s I was chastised by some social realist professors, arguing that abstract painting was mere "masturbation" compared to the actual task of painting pictures that put the screws to ethnic-class oppressors. It occurred to me that I can paint abstractly and then, as I did, take to the streets in condemnation of our class oppressors. One can do both.
0 Replies

IFeelFree

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2007 05:04 pm
JLNobody wrote:
I don't see an impassible either-or dilemma here. Except, perhaps, for the exhorbitant funds spend on space research, scientific research may really pay off someday in practical benefits (atomic fusion comes to mind).

I agree. One area in which I think way too much money is being spent for little return is the space program. I'd rather see the money go towards basic research in high energy physics, materials science, alternative energy, etc.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2007 05:22 pm
If it were true, wouldn't all be harmonious, and we would not be building nuclear weapons and otherwise murdering each other, constantly?
0 Replies

IFeelFree

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2007 05:34 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
If it were true, wouldn't all be harmonious, and we would not be building nuclear weapons and otherwise murdering each other, constantly?

If what were true?
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2007 05:40 pm
edgarblythe wrote:

Never happen. Security and fear demand nukes. Why do you think America, Russia, China, India, Pakistan and Israel built nukes. It's the only way to guarantee you won't be attacked.

Everyone says Iran is building one. No evidence but those with nukes can understand why, esp. after our president declared it an enemy and threatened to attack it. As long as we have Bush's and Olmert's we will be encouraging others to build nukes for protection.
0 Replies

IFeelFree

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2007 05:58 pm
xingu wrote:
edgarblythe wrote:

Never happen. Security and fear demand nukes. Why do you think America, Russia, China, India, Pakistan and Israel built nukes. It's the only way to guarantee you won't be attacked.

Everyone says Iran is building one. No evidence but those with nukes can understand why, esp. after our president declared it an enemy and threatened to attack it. As long as we have Bush's and Olmert's we will be encouraging others to build nukes for protection.

All of which suggests that better technology isn't the path to security. How secure will we be when every country who wants them (and perhaps a few terrorist organizations) has nuclear weapons? It should be obvious that science alone is not the key to a better world. Humanity must mature before we destroy ourselves. The collective ego must be dissolved so that identification with a particular tribe, religion, race, or belief system isn't used as an excuse for destroying those who we perceive to threaten our identity.

I'm not arguing that we should just lay down our weapons. That can't happen until there is a higher consciousness in the world. In the meantime, we have to protect ourselves as best we can. I do think the U.S. could use its power to build more constructive alliances in the world instead of wasting time, money, and lives in a pointless war in the Middle East. The money we've spent in Iraq could have been used to develop alternative energy sources, instead of making a grab for some of the remaining Middle East oil, under the guise of fighting terrorism.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Thu 26 Jul, 2007 02:30 pm
IFeelFree wrote:
xingu wrote:
edgarblythe wrote:

All of which suggests that better technology isn't the path to security. How secure will we be when every country who wants them (and perhaps a few terrorist organizations) has nuclear weapons? It should be obvious that science alone is not the key to a better world. Humanity must mature before we destroy ourselves. The collective ego must be dissolved so that identification with a particular tribe, religion, race, or belief system isn't used as an excuse for destroying those who we perceive to threaten our identity.

I'm not arguing that we should just lay down our weapons. That can't happen until there is a higher consciousness in the world. In the meantime, we have to protect ourselves as best we can. I do think the U.S. could use its power to build more constructive alliances in the world instead of wasting time, money, and lives in a pointless war in the Middle East. The money we've spent in Iraq could have been used to develop alternative energy sources, instead of making a grab for some of the remaining Middle East oil, under the guise of fighting terrorism.
I'm tempted to agree with you, up to the point its clear you are hoplessly naive.

What alternative energy sources had you in mind? Or is it just a question of inventing something?
0 Replies

IFeelFree

Reply Thu 26 Jul, 2007 03:54 pm
Steve 41oo wrote:
What alternative energy sources had you in mind? Or is it just a question of inventing something?

Mainly wind, solar, biofuel, nuclear, and geothermal. However, most important in the near term is probably the savings from greater efficiencies -- improved vehicle fuel efficiency, more transport of goods via train and ship (as opposed to trucks), encourage local production, more efficient lighting, improved battery technology, etc. The cost of fossil fuel energy will continue to increase over the long term, so we have to explore whatever alternatives exist. What choice do we have?
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Sat 28 Jul, 2007 10:12 am
IFeelFree wrote:
The cost of fossil fuel energy will continue to increase over the long term, so we have to explore whatever alternatives exist. What choice do we have?
Well you're not so naive, sorry.

I classed you as one of those who thought there was an easy solution to the coming energy gap.

There are 6 problems with fossil fuel

we are addicted to it

its running out

more people want some

we are fighting over whats left

its screwing up the atmosphere.

there is no obvious or easy alternatives to satisfy our insatiable demand for energy.
0 Replies

IFeelFree

Reply Sat 28 Jul, 2007 11:05 am
Steve 41oo wrote:
there is no obvious or easy alternatives to satisfy our insatiable demand for energy.

I agree. "Peak oil" is real and will have profound consequences for our society. I've heard scenarios ranging from a smooth, seamless transition to alternative energy, electric cars, etc. on one end of the spectrum, to the end of civilization as we know it on the other end. I think the truth lies somewhere in between.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Sat 28 Jul, 2007 11:24 am
Re: Anthropic principle, mulitverse and God
xingu wrote:
Initially I was going to post this in the science section but it does deal with religion and I suspect it will get moe readership in the religion section.

A very interesting topic emerging in the world of physics and something I suspect we will hear more about.

Quote:
We are meant to be here

People are not the result of a cosmic accident, but of laws of the universe that grant our lives meaning and purpose, says physicist Paul Davies.
By Steve Paulson
http://www.salon.com/books/feature/2007/07/03/paul_davies

This guy seems to have confused his model of the Universe, for the actual Universe.

If he's gonna start speculating about applying quantum mechanical observations to the large scale predictability of the Universe, then he should start posting on A2K where we can have some fun with him.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Sat 28 Jul, 2007 11:28 am
Steve 41oo wrote:

There are other alternatives. They just aren't as cost effective within our present structure.

But as the cost of oil goes up, the economic cost equation will change.
0 Replies

IFeelFree

Reply Sat 28 Jul, 2007 02:37 pm
Re: Anthropic principle, mulitverse and God
Quote:
People are not the result of a cosmic accident, but of laws of the universe that grant our lives meaning and purpose, says physicist Paul Davies.

Does Paul Davies actually say that? Since he's a physicist, I assume by "laws of the universe" he means the laws of physics. How do these "laws of the universe" grant our lives meaning and purpose? What kind of meaning or purpose would that be? Later in the article Davies says:
Quote:
Words like "meaning" and "purpose" are human categories, derived from human experience, and so we're projecting them onto nature and saying, well, the best way of understanding the universe is to say it behaves in a purpose-like manner.

So, meaning or purpose are something we project onto the universe, not a property of the universe itself. This sounds like it contradicts the original statement about the "laws of the universe" granting our lives meaning and purpose. (Perhaps the author got it all confused?) Still later he says:
Quote:
We're trying to construct a picture of the universe which is based thoroughly on science but where there is still room for something like meaning and purpose. So people can see their own individual lives as part of a grand cosmic scheme that has some meaning to it. We're not just, as Steven Weinberg would say, pointless accidents in a universe that has no meaning or purpose. I think we can do better than that.

So, science or natural law might allow for meaning or purpose, but doesn't actually provide it. Later he says:
Quote:
If future scientists are human beings, they may be stuck with the same problems that we have. The way we think, the way we like to analyze problems, the categories that we define -- like cause and effect, space-time and matter, meaning and purpose -- are really human categories that cannot be separated from our evolutionary heritage. We have to face up to the fact that there may be fundamental limitations just from the way our brains have been put together. So we could have reached our own human limits. But that doesn't mean there aren't intelligent systems somewhere in the universe, maybe some time in the future, that could ultimately come to understand. Ultimately, it may not be living intelligence or embodied intelligence but some sort of intelligent information-processing system that could become omniscient and fill the entire universe. That's a grand vision that I rather like. Whether it's true or not is another matter entirely.

which implies that a fundamental understanding of the universe is alien to human intelligence, and that meaning and purpose are just judgments that we impose on the universe. It appears that the statement made in the subheading of the article about the "laws of the universe that grant our lives meaning and purpose" is not justified by what Paul Davies actually says. I blame the writer of the article.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 28 Jul, 2007 02:41 pm
rosborne979 wrote:
Steve 41oo wrote:

There are other alternatives. They just aren't as cost effective within our present structure.

But as the cost of oil goes up, the economic cost equation will change.

This is borne out by our experiences already. The "oil shales" and "oil sands" of Alberta and Saskatchewan were considered not to be worth the effort or the cost 30 years ago. Now, both provinces, but especially Alberta are booming because the cost of middle eastern crude has reached a level at which the cost of extraction of the low grade crude from oil sands has become attractive.
0 Replies