It's 10 P.M. Do you know where you money is?

dagmaraka

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2007 11:23 am
I have no problems with winning a lottery. Bring it! I'll even give you 15%! If fortune falls into my lap, I won't load it with a pitchfork in a trash container. I also, like I said, have no problem with people having goals to save up gradually, provide for their family and the future. It's a sensible and worthwhile goal. It's just not how i'm spending my life right now. Doesn't mean one is right and one is wrong.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2007 11:26 am
Chai wrote:
So…my question nimh….How do you reconcile the fact that you are satisfied with having a vague idea of your financial standing at any given time, yet feel poorly toward someone who, because they anticipated the future and last year bet they would be around today, can splurge on something without vaguely wondering if this is going to effect their ability to pay for an unexpected bill? Hmmmmmmm?

Huh?

Uhmm.. I dont. Feel poorly towards "someone who, because they anticipated the future etc [insert your description]".

I instinctively feel poorly towards the rich, yeah. (That's the thread you're referring to, I'm guessing). But the people you describe - the ones who have carefully planned their life's finances so as to gradually built up just enough money to be able to afford a few things considered luxuries in their society - they are not "the rich", are they?

As Dag already pointed out, if you have to save for two years for your car, you're not rich.

On the same count, I instinctively feel solidarity towards the poor, yeah. But there's no equivalent whatsoever between "the poor" and people who "have this vague idea of how much they have spent etc [insert your description]".

In fact, there's many rich people who live like that, just spending with only a rough idea of their current balance -- just like there's many poor people who meticulously calculate how much they've spent today, this week and this month - because that's the only way they're going to get by.

There's also poor people, of course, who live like me, incompetents when it comes to getting a grasp on money, and who are poor partly because of that; just like there's rich people who know the whereabouts of their every last penny.

So yeah, uhm, what? I dont see where you get the equation you're making here, I guess, between my instinctive feelings about rich and poor people on the one hand, and the two sets of types you're sketching here on the other. They're not the same groups of people. So my instinctive feelings about rich and poor say zilch about what my feelings would be about the two groups you're describing.

I can only guess where you could be coming from... how you got from one to the other. Some sincere belief that the country's rich people really got rich by being meticulous with money, while the country's poor just got poor because they didnt watch what they spent? Like, the American Dream?

I think thats a very naive way of looking at things, in today's society of highly concentrated, largely inherited capital and ever decreasing social mobility. But going there would turn this into a Politics thread... :wink:
0 Replies

mushypancakes

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2007 11:29 am
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
There seems to be an incredible amount of tension in the A2K air today.

I want your house, Gus.

The flowers, the swamp, I see you Gus.

So when ya moving out?
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2007 11:30 am
dag....don't get all nimned out on me....

again...and I'm not going to say it after this...I was using rich and poor as a reference point.

my POINT was....how can you resent someone for having something (and no, I'm not talking to you...my post was directed to nimh if you'd care to pay attention) if you only have a vague idea of what you've got, ergo, only having a vague idea if you have enough for some future need or want?

I have not idea about why you've gone off on the differences between working for money, or embezzling, or inheriting. Back up and look at what I was responding to...your statement that if a person was rich they wouldn't have to take out a loan, or save their money, for something they need in 2 years.

I was disagreeing with that, and that alone.

People with money save for all sorts of things, and take out loans. However, they are prepared to do that, and are not just vaguely aware if they have the means to support it.

If you're going to get pissy dag, at least get pissy about what was actually said, and what was said to you.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2007 11:30 am
nimh wrote:
But going there would turn this into a Politics thread... :wink:

And we all know how much you hate those ... Razz
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2007 11:35 am
Thomas wrote:
nimh wrote:
But going there would turn this into a Politics thread... :wink:

And we all know how much you hate those ... Razz

Hey, I've been weaning myself off of those! Razz

I mean, they arent really much fun, are they. I like looking things up or coming across them and then posting about 'em - but, exceptions excepted, the debating that goes on seems pretty much akin to a violent kind of Groundhog Day..
0 Replies

mushypancakes

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2007 11:44 am
That was interesting.

Though I kinda sorta in my shitty way pointed out the correlation between being meticulous-and-poor=getting ahead or least not falling on yer ass, and being not meticulous-and-poor=falling behind or getting poorer or risking landing on your bare ass.

So ....it sucks to be 'poor' for whatever political or personal reasons, but once you're there....

you kinda can choose to perpetuate it or not.

Oh boy. Not wanting trouble today. Just think I discovered a cool thing, that actually helped me get more of the things I want...without getting a better job or even getting that degree yet...
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2007 11:55 am
mushypancakes wrote:
So ....it sucks to be 'poor' for whatever political or personal reasons, but once you're there....

you kinda can choose to perpetuate it or not.

Eh.. dont share your optimism. I mean, sure, being like me, for example, sure wont help you. Being more meticulous with money will help you compared to someone who isnt, for sure. But there's plenty of people who are absolutely meticulous with money, and still are poor.

Lots of people, in your country, mine, my adopted one too - for whom being frugal and precise with money helps 'em hold their head above water where others just end up on the streets etc. But thats pretty much all it does. The next step remains out of reach no matter how frugal they are.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2007 12:01 pm
Chai wrote:
dag....don't get all nimned out on me....

again...and I'm not going to say it after this...I was using rich and poor as a reference point.

my POINT was....how can you resent someone for having something (and no, I'm not talking to you...my post was directed to nimh if you'd care to pay attention) if you only have a vague idea of what you've got, ergo, only having a vague idea if you have enough for some future need or want?

so were they just examples, or was it all directed at nimh? you lost me there.

Quote:
I have not idea about why you've gone off on the differences between working for money, or embezzling, or inheriting. Back up and look at what I was responding to...your statement that if a person was rich they wouldn't have to take out a loan, or save their money, for something they need in 2 years.

because you said, and you say it below too, that rich people plan their money in advance. And that they got there through honest work. To which all I'm saying is "some".

Quote:
I was disagreeing with that, and that alone.

People with money save for all sorts of things, and take out loans. However, they are prepared to do that, and are not just vaguely aware if they have the means to support it.

Again, some. Not all. Is there just one category of rich people and they all behave the same way? Hardly.

Quote:
If you're going to get pissy dag, at least get pissy about what was actually said, and what was said to you.

Chai, sorry dear, but you get pissy all the time. It is your attitude that sometimes rubs me the wrong way - knowing better than the rest, or perhaps choice of words sometimes. You may not mean it, in fact I'm almost certain you don't, i'm just saying how it often comes across for me.
0 Replies

mushypancakes

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2007 12:10 pm
nimh wrote:
[
Eh.. dont share your optimism. I mean, sure, being like me, for example, sure wont help you. Being more meticulous with money will help you compared to someone who isnt, for sure. But there's plenty of people who are absolutely meticulous with money, and still are poor.

Lots of people, in your country, mine, my adopted one too - for whom being frugal and precise with money helps 'em hold their head above water where others just end up on the streets etc. But thats pretty much all it does. The next step remains out of reach no matter how frugal they are.

No way will I sit here and try to argue that life isn't unfair, that real poverty doesn't exist (with those people doing all the right things and working their butts off and watching every penny and more!).
That's true.

But my optimism is trained in, 'cause otherwise things would only get worse. Did that, sucked ass, etc. Why help it along anymore, gotta keep trying.

I don't know. It's this or I have to go get a status card. Nope. Not me. *bitter laugh*

GIVE ME LAND. GIVE ME YOUR HOUSE, GUS!
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2007 12:48 pm
nimh wrote:
Chai wrote:
So…my question nimh….How do you reconcile the fact that you are satisfied with having a vague idea of your financial standing at any given time, yet feel poorly toward someone who, because they anticipated the future and last year bet they would be around today, can splurge on something without vaguely wondering if this is going to effect their ability to pay for an unexpected bill? Hmmmmmmm?

Huh?

Uhmm.. I dont. Feel poorly towards "someone who, because they anticipated the future etc [insert your description]".

I instinctively feel poorly towards the rich, yeah. (That's the thread you're referring to, I'm guessing). But the people you describe - the ones who have carefully planned their life's finances so as to gradually built up just enough money to be able to afford a few things considered luxuries in their society - they are not "the rich", are they?

I didn't say anything about gradually building up just enough money. Or about people who have carefully planned their lifes finances. How someone saves doesn't have to be gradual, in fact, if you're young you better get as much put away as fast as possible in order to be able to live an idenpendant life when you are no longer able to work. However, I see no connection with saving or taking out a loan with being rich...as said, the rich save and borrow money as well.

As Dag already pointed out, if you have to save for two years for your car, you're not rich.

I disagree - I think you have a very different definition of the word rich. Rich is not eating foi gras every day and hiring someone whose only job is clipping your toenails. Perhaps that is part of why you have this instinctive (but misplaced) feeling toward the "rich", because you're only thinking of the "idle rich"

On the same count, I instinctively feel solidarity towards the poor, yeah. But there's no equivalent whatsoever between "the poor" and people who "have this vague idea of how much they have spent etc [insert your description]".

In fact, there's many rich people who live like that, just spending with only a rough idea of their current balance -- just like there's many poor people who meticulously calculate how much they've spent today, this week and this month - because that's the only way they're going to get by.

Again, different definition of rich....I've known loads of people with way more than enough money....believe me, they have more than a rough idea of what they've got.

There's also poor people, of course, who live like me, incompetents when it comes to getting a grasp on money, and who are poor partly because of that; just like there's rich people who know the whereabouts of their every last penny.

Is isn't one or the other nimh. it's not like you either haven't a clue or know where every penny is. One more time, I think it's a matter that you may be seeing wealth in these extreme all or nothing scenerios. To be honest, it feels like you want to "hate" (an exaggeration) the rich so badly, you make your definition of rich so narrow it only includes people with a gazillion dollars who abuse the poor

So yeah, uhm, what? I dont see where you get the equation you're making here, I guess, between my instinctive feelings about rich and poor people on the one hand, and the two sets of types you're sketching here on the other. They're not the same groups of people. So my instinctive feelings about rich and poor say zilch about what my feelings would be about the two groups you're describing.

I can only guess where you could be coming from... how you got from one to the other. Some sincere belief that the country's rich people really got rich by being meticulous with money, while the country's poor just got poor because they didnt watch what they spent? Like, the American Dream?

No, I certainly did not say that people got rich by simply keeping their noses to the grindstone, and the poor are that way because they don't know what they spend on any given day. In fact, it's naive of you to think that's what I was saying....again...what is rich?

I think thats a very naive way of looking at things, in today's society of highly concentrated, largely inherited capital and ever decreasing social mobility. But going there would turn this into a Politics thread... :wink:

OK, nimh...define specifcally what is "rich" to you....

For me, "rich" is, well, someone like me. Monetarily, I have so much more than most of the people on this planet.

I have a home that I can leverage in my later years to provide an income. Plus retirement savings that I will continue to contribute to. I have debt I can manage. I can get on a plane and take a trip if I wanted to, anywhere in the world (just don't want to). I can buy any food or drink from around the world, and don't have to worry if I can afford it. I drive a nice safe car. A good job. Good health insurance. Clothes that suit me....I am very rich.

I don't, as dag said, sit with a pencil and calculator over each penny....I don't live in a world of black and white.

But, your chances of getting to your destination is vastly improved if you have a plan.

For instance, it's all well and good to say money isn't important to you...but seriously, do you not think of what your standard of living will be 20, 40, 50 years from now?

I don't obsess about or live in the future, but I'm aware it's there.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2007 12:52 pm
dagmaraka wrote:
Chai, sorry dear, but you get pissy all the time. It is your attitude that sometimes rubs me the wrong way - knowing better than the rest, or perhaps choice of words sometimes. You may not mean it, in fact I'm almost certain you don't, i'm just saying how it often comes across for me.

Heh...funny, I've thought the same about you for the past year and a half.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2007 01:14 pm
Well, being rich or wealthy is all relative! If I were to live in a small
town in Alabama, I'd be quite rich. Living in southern California I am not!

I have never saved up for a car, it wouldn't make sense for me
to pay cash for a car if I can invest the same amount in different venues
and make by far more in the long run than seeing my car being depreciated year by year. That's just too heart wrenching for me, I don't have strong
nerves for that.

Everyone has different needs what they want out of life - having a job
that is rewarding and satisfying can compensate for a big salary. Some prefer a small house in a most thought after neighborhood than a
house in a less desirable town or state. It's all boils down to being happy
with what you've got.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2007 01:17 pm
And gustav, along these lines - you probably paid $ 50,000 for a big
estate at the swamp. Out here, an old fixer upper cost you about
$ 500,000, and depending on the neighborhood, you'd pay double the
amount.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2007 01:46 pm
I pretty much know what I've got and what I've spent, but I'm not anal about money. I never even open my bank statements and I know I should so don't lecture me!

Money comes in and money goes out and usually there's enough for whatever I want to do. I use debit, mainly, but credit cards are useful, too. I also have a Line of Credit which I use for large purchases from time to time.

I really don't care about money, as long as I have enough. I just hate giving it to credit card companies (interest), banks (interest), and the government (taxes) so I minimize those.
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2007 01:50 pm
Just sticking my nose in with a couple of comments:

Mortgage interest is not tax deductible in Canada

Mushypancakes -- if you qualify, you're certainly within your rights to get a status card -- I would.
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2007 05:28 pm
Chai wrote:
For me, "rich" is, well, someone like me. Monetarily, I have so much more than most of the people on this planet.

I have a home that I can leverage in my later years to provide an income.
If you were rich you wouldn't need an income in your later years, the money would already be there imo.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2007 05:45 pm
TTH wrote:
Chai wrote:

I have a home that I can leverage in my later years to provide an income.
If you were rich you wouldn't need an income in your later years, the money would already be there imo.

Don't you think I'd like leave the principal to someone?

jesus, keep up, will ya?
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2007 06:00 pm
Well, if you leverage your home then you are taking away from the principal.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 24 Aug, 2007 01:42 am
As an interesting aside: for the first time Britons' personal debt exceeds Britain's GDP = Britons have racked up so much debt on loans and credit cards that the total borrowed now exceeds the entire value of the economy
0 Replies