It's 10 P.M. Do you know where you money is?

Thomas

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2007 10:35 am
dagmaraka wrote:
well, there is a) little kindergeld here and b) college will cost you an arm and a leg, unlike in most of Europe.

That's true, and I certainly see how that makes a big difference for parents and college students.

But on reflection, I no longer see how it would make a big difference for the country as a whole. The costs of maintaining children and colleges are what they are. Every dollar a country spends on them diminishes its ability to save by one dollar. Whether this dollar is paid by taxpayers (as in Europe) or by students and parents (as in America) cannot affect the country's overall ability to save. So yes, European students and parents can save more because taxpayers pay for their schooling and childcare. But European taxpayers can save less for the same reason. On average, it makes no difference to the saving rate.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2007 10:36 am
Chai, you are the "Mistress of Succinct"
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2007 10:43 am
Chai wrote:
So…my question nimh….How do you reconcile the fact that you are satisfied with having a vague idea of your financial standing at any given time, yet feel poorly toward someone who, because they anticipated the future and last year bet they would be around today, can splurge on something without vaguely wondering if this is going to effect their ability to pay for an unexpected bill? Hmmmmmmm?

Chai, if you are saving up for your car for two years in advance, you are NOT RICH.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2007 10:44 am
....no idea why i quoted that particular section. No reason really, was an aksident. Embarrassed
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2007 10:44 am
Leave her alone, dag. She has her fantasies and we should not disrupt them.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2007 10:47 am
dagmaraka wrote:
Chai wrote:
So…my question nimh….How do you reconcile the fact that you are satisfied with having a vague idea of your financial standing at any given time, yet feel poorly toward someone who, because they anticipated the future and last year bet they would be around today, can splurge on something without vaguely wondering if this is going to effect their ability to pay for an unexpected bill? Hmmmmmmm?

Chai, if you are saving up for your car for two years in advance, you are NOT RICH.

au contraire

I am saving so that I do not have to take out a loan and pay interest.

paying interest is for suckers.

Plus, it's not impeding my ability to buy anything else I want in between.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2007 10:50 am
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
Chai, you are the "Mistress of Succinct"

Thanks, I'm only that way with nimh though....one false word and he's crawling up your a$$ with page references and and arguing about where an apostrophe was placed.

I had to consult with my solicitor to get the disclaimer correct.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2007 10:51 am
if you were rich, you wouldn't have to take out a loan for a car.

i don't think anyone has a problem with someone having a savings schedule. i certainly don't. and i doubt that would be the reason why nimh feels 'resentment' towards rich - although i also doubt that it really is resentment towards the people themselves....that's for nimh to answer though. there are far more pressing social/systemic issues to consider when it comes to income disparities.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2007 10:53 am
Thomas wrote:
dagmaraka wrote:
well, there is a) little kindergeld here and b) college will cost you an arm and a leg, unlike in most of Europe.

That's true, and I certainly see how that makes a big difference for parents and college students.

But on reflection, I no longer see how it would make a big difference for the country as a whole. The costs of maintaining children and colleges are what they are. Every dollar a country spends on them diminishes its ability to save by one dollar. Whether this dollar is paid by taxpayers (as in Europe) or by students and parents (as in America) cannot affect the country's overall ability to save. So yes, European students and parents can save more because taxpayers pay for their schooling and childcare. But European taxpayers can save less for the same reason. On average, it makes no difference to the saving rate.

I'm thinking the only way that wouldn't be true is if our tax rates did not adjust accordingly. Meaning, if we pay the same in taxes as you do but don't get those benefits. But I don't actually know whether that's true.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2007 11:01 am
FreeDuck wrote:
I'm thinking the only way that wouldn't be true is if our tax rates did not adjust accordingly. Meaning, if we pay the same in taxes as you do but don't get those benefits. But I don't actually know whether that's true.

I don't know either. It might be true that your education system is much less efficient than ours -- that you pay a lot more for the same education. If so, that would explain why Americans can't afford to save as much as Europeans. But I never heard anyone make this claim yet.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2007 11:01 am
dagmaraka wrote:
if you were rich, you wouldn't have to take out a loan for a car.

ummm...didn't I just say I wouldn't have to take out a loan for a car?

first off, in my example w/ nimh....I said "for arguments sake" when calling one person poor, one person rich....that was for simplicity or else we'd both be having to submit tax returns to prove our financial standing.

rich, obviously is a relative turn....however, you a deluding yourself if you think the "rich" do not have to save for what they want.

I'm not talking about "hollywood" rich. That's fantasy rich.

Which actually, may play a part in why some people don't save any money....This rationalization of "I'll never be as rich as that hollywood actor" so why bother?

My father was rich monetarily by anyones standards...he got that way by working and saving. I think that's how most people get rich.

If I had been a suck up, I would have been one of those people who were rich but didn't do anything to get it.

But, I'm not a suck up.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2007 11:04 am
I'm sure some people get rich by hard work.

I'm sure some people get rich by embezzling funds/corruption/theft

I'm sure some people get rich by inheriting the money.

So? I have nothing against the first category. And I am not delluding myself.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2007 11:06 am
and as to "I'll never be as rich, so why bother" - yeah maybe that's true for some people. But for some (me), it is without the "I'll never be as rich...
" It's just "why bother". Some people just do not care to be rich, period. May be hard to understand, but there are such people.
0 Replies

mushypancakes

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2007 11:07 am
Nah, Chai is wealthy.

Rich is for those who end up broke, or their kids end up broke.

Can "rich" be sustained without sucking off someone else's back, really? Hmm. Talking to self now. Laughing

I think the "don't pay too much mind" works pretty well so long as you have a pretty good stream of income and/or backup support .
My friend goes this way, but doesn't have the backup support (ran her credit in the ground, loaned off buddies a little too much, broke butted parents and fam).

It only seems to work when the rest is working, if that makes sense. If you have a big blow out of some sort, it can hurt.

That's just my own experience. Always been poor-ish (as far as income coming in), but never lacked.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2007 11:13 am
mushypancakes wrote:
Nah, Chai is wealthy.

Rich is for those who end up broke, or their kids end up broke.

Can "rich" be sustained without sucking off someone else's back, really? Hmm. Talking to self now. Laughing

I think the "don't pay too much mind" works pretty well so long as you have a pretty good stream of income and/or backup support .
My friend goes this way, but doesn't have the backup support (ran her credit in the ground, loaned off buddies a little too much, broke butted parents and fam).

It only seems to work when the rest is working, if that makes sense. If you have a big blow out of some sort, it can hurt.

That's just my own experience. Always been poor-ish (as far as income coming in), but never lacked.

of course. you have to be able to afford to not pay too much mind to how you spend money. but that doesn't mean everybody's totally senseless in this category. i don't loan off my friends, i don't get anything from parents, i don't splurge money on rash purchases spontanneously. i simply don't sit with a calculator and plan budget weekly or monthly. period.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2007 11:15 am
There seems to be an incredible amount of tension in the A2K air today.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2007 11:18 am
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
There seems to be an incredible amount of tension in the A2K air today.

nah, that's your suspenders.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2007 11:19 am
dagmaraka wrote:
" It's just "why bother". Some people just do not care to be rich, period. May be hard to understand, but there are such people.

I'll remind you of this when you hit the jackpot.
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2007 11:20 am
Chai wrote:
first off, in my example w/ nimh....I said "for arguments sake" when calling one person poor, one person rich....that was for simplicity or else we'd both be having to submit tax returns to prove our financial standing.
Your tax return does not prove your financial standing. What makes you think it does?
0 Replies

mushypancakes

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2007 11:21 am
Right, Dag. I honestly wasn't inferring that everyone who can do it is "senseless".

Even my friend isn't "senseless". She's poor. She doesn't make a lot of money, and she struggles. She does what she can to get the car, to get to work, to buy food.
I used my friend as example because the majority of people I know intimately have less secure work/smaller incomes/no degrees or secondary education.

Paying off university loans might count as savings, but some can't get the loans to begin with.
0 Replies