Libya's HIV Scam Pays Off Big

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2007 08:29 pm
Bastards! After holding these people for ten years.

Libya lifts Death Sentence

Joe(We will kill you unless you pay us enough to spare you)Nation
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 959 • Replies: 13
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2007 08:31 pm
Consumately annoying, and worse for those involved. (I hardly ever feel righteous re aspects of international conversation any more, but on this one....)
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2007 08:36 pm
A completely transparent con job from one of the most bizarrely irrational nations on the face of the earth.

Joe(and, of course, someone paid up instead of calling their bluff)nation
0 Replies

my571

Reply Tue 24 Jul, 2007 09:21 am
Joe Nation wrote:
A completely transparent con job from one of the most bizarrely irrational nations on the face of the earth.

Joe(and, of course, someone paid up instead of calling their bluff)nation
Very Happy
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 24 Jul, 2007 10:26 am
At least, the years and years of trying to get them free finally worked.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2007 02:38 am
And a new, disgusting, precedent for nation level kidnap and bribery set.

Joe(Oh....maybe George would take a million or so for some of those at Guantanamo)Nation
0 Replies

BlaiseDaley

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2007 02:57 am
I think, in the end, it all boils down to some calculation of $$$/life. The whole Lockerbie affair came down to $$$, our health care system and our whole Iraq excursion strikes me as a matter of $$$ as well.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2007 03:20 am
I wonder whether this ransom scheme was what Qadaffi had in mind to begin with or whether it just worked out in his favor in the end. And if it wasn't a bizarre kidnapping for outragous ransom, just what was the original intent of the charade?
0 Replies

BlaiseDaley

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2007 03:29 am
That's a good question. Maybe he just thought he'd throw his line out and see what he'd catch.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2007 05:11 am
Well, at first, in 2004, Libya became a good country with a nice leader .... accepted by the USA.
Now, everyone praises them that they got the hundreds of millions Euros, allowed the French to built a motorway and a nuclear plant, the EU to buy oil ...

Well, and those Bugarians, they had some nice years in Libyan prisons, n'st-ce pas?
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sun 29 Jul, 2007 04:45 am
Libya's AIDs Problem
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 4 Aug, 2007 12:41 am
But you can bet Obama will be there talking to Khaddafy Duck within the first year of his administration, and without pre-conditions!

Libya's vile blackmail worked, because Europe would rather pay and talk than exercise its muscles. In the process a number of innocent people suffered tremendously. But hey, the Palestinian doc is now a Bulgarian citizen, and Sarkozy and his wife are the current toasts of the town.

Very little will be said about what Libya has gotten out of this deal, nothing of which amounts to righteous retribution.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 4 Aug, 2007 01:30 am
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
But you can bet Obama will be there talking to Khaddafy Duck within the first year of his administration, and without pre-conditions!

Libya's vile blackmail worked, because Europe would rather pay and talk than exercise its muscles. In the process a number of innocent people suffered tremendously. But hey, the Palestinian doc is now a Bulgarian citizen, and Sarkozy and his wife are the current toasts of the town.

Very little will be said about what Libya has gotten out of this deal, nothing of which amounts to righteous retribution.

I think hat all started when the USA stopped Libya calling a "rogue state" in 2002 and the UK restored 'normal' diplomatic relations with Gaddhafi's country the same year.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 4 Aug, 2007 01:46 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

I think hat all started when the USA stopped Libya calling a "rogue state" in 2002 and the UK restored 'normal' diplomatic relations with Gaddhafi's country the same year.

Yes, becasue they caved on any desire to accumulate WMDs. Given the reachings of Saddam's Iraq and current Iran, the deal made sense, but at what point to we stop thinking in terms of cynical real-politik and put our toes in the waters of the neo-con?

Do Libyans have to torture and rape thousands of Eastern European women? Are ten or twelve a meaningless number of victims?

Khaddy-Duck is a sly desert fox.
0 Replies