Brown Crusty Stuff....

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2007 08:47 am
Yes, I said brown crusty stuff. It's more rust colored but anyway....

This morning while getting ready for work, my oh so lady like dog opened her legs and started licking herself. I noticed that there was a lot of rusty colored, flakey...stuff around her doggie doo doo. She keeps herself clean as far as I can tell. But it looked yucky and she was licking so I thought I'd be a good doggie mommy and help her out. I washed her up and the crusty stuff came off. It wasn't on her belly at all, just right around her female part. It didn't smell bad or seem to hurt her. Her skin isn't red.

What the heck is/was that and should I be making an appointment to see the vet?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 4,073 • Replies: 13
No top replies

eoe

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2007 08:48 am
Is she on her period? (Or whatever you call it in doggy terms.)
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2007 08:49 am
She is spayed so no periods.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2007 08:52 am
Dear God, If only ask for one thing.....its to get this awful image of Bella sniffing her dogs bum out of my head....please help me.Amen.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2007 08:53 am
LOL

I didn't sniff it but if a dog has an infection or a yucky spot, you can smell it without sticking your head right there.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2007 09:06 am
I had a dog with what sounds like a similar problem -- she had a recessed vulva and moisture would get trapped in there. She would get little bumps - they almost looked like insect bites - and kind of a rusty, crusty gunk around it.

They wanted to do a surgery on her but she was old and sick (Addison's disease, not related to the problem though so don't worry about that) and I didn't want her to have to deal with surgery if there was any other option. Our vet recommended washing her down with Domeboro (found in the pharmacy near allergy creams, etc.) on a regular basis. It cleared it up quickly. We used it on a regular basis and never had another problem.

Talk to your vet before using anything on your dog though.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2007 09:35 am
So it might just be a build up of junk?

I had heard at one time that it might be a type of yeast infection.

I dont think Zoe has a recessed vulva but the gunk was in the fold between her vulva and her thigh so it is in a moist, partially enclosed area.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2007 09:36 am
If it were inside the ears, I would suspect ear mites. Is there something similar on other parts?
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2007 09:53 am
Recessed vulvas are not uncommon, especially if your dog was spayed before her first heat.

http://www.woodhavenlabs.com/ins-outs.html
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2007 09:58 am
roger wrote:
If it were inside the ears, I would suspect ear mites. Is there something similar on other parts?

Nope. Just there.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2007 10:01 am
boomerang wrote:
Recessed vulvas are not uncommon, especially if your dog was spayed before her first heat.

http://www.woodhavenlabs.com/ins-outs.html

Hm. Maybe she does have one.

I had no idea.

Well shoot. I can't look right now because she's at daycare but it seems much more like the "innie" than the "outie".
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2007 08:41 pm
Sooooo.... how is she doing tonight?

Is she an innie or an outie?

I forgot to mention earlier -- I gave my dog a dose of acidophilious once a week or so (good for yeast infections). I have no hard evidence that it helps but it seems to help my dog.

I keep wondering where patiodog is when we need him. You might try to send him a PM with your question.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2007 08:43 pm
(as I recall, the pdog's on call nights right now)
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2007 06:41 am
I think she's a combo. Laughing
0 Replies