Was Jesus ever mentioned in the Old Testament?

talk72000

Reply Sun 4 Mar, 2007 02:22 am
The Hebrew text was directly lifted from the original Canaanite texts as shown from the Ras Shamra discovery

Isaiah 14:12 (KJV with Hebrew)
"How art thou fallen from heaven,
O Helel, son of Shahar!
how art thou cut down to the ground,

Helel, or Day Star, is a Canaanite god. Shahar is another Canaanite god

In his fallen state, Helal was known as Azazel, the earth-bound demon to whom the Israelites gave as a yearly sacrifice on the Day of Atonement a "scapegoat" that was sent into the wilderness for Azazel after another goat had been sacrificed before the mercy seat of Yahweh:

Leviticus 16:5,7-10
"[Aaron] shall take from the congregation of the people of Israel two male goats for a sin offering . . . and Aaron shall cast lots on the two goats, one lot for Yahweh and the other lot for Azazel. Aaron shall present the goat on which the lot fell for Yahweh, and offer it as a sin offering; but the goat on which the lot fell for Azazel shall be presented alive before Yahweh to make atonement over it, that it may be sent away into the wilderness to Azazel"

Isaiah 14:12-15
"How you are fallen from heaven,
O Day Star, son of Dawn [i.e., Helal, son of the god Shahar]!
How you are cut down to the ground,
you who laid the nations low!
You said in your heart,
`I will ascend to heaven;
I will raise my throne above the stars of El; I will sit on the Mount of Assembly on the heights of Zaphon [the sacred mountain of El where the Assembly of the Gods met in council].
But you are brought down to Sheol, to the depths of the Pit"

Mt. Saphon, also known as Mt. Casius, is located just north of Ugarit, a Canaanite city located in northern Palestine during the 13th and 14th centuries BCE about half a mile inland near the tip of Cyprus.

This site gives you information regarding the Ras Shamra Ugarit polytheistic religion from which the Jews copied from or were part of. The Old Testament contains evidence of a polytheistic past where references were kept as the guardians of the monotheistic tradition may have forgotten what they were as the Jews moved from polytheism to monotheism from the time of the Captivity in Babylon.

The names of Helel, or Helal, Azazel, Shahar and Mt. Zaphon, the site of Baal, in the Old Testament shows Judaism emerged from the Ugaritic polytheistic religion or copied the legends, prophecies and gods from the Ras Shamra Ugaritic religion.

Go to this link on regarding Ugarit religion:
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Sun 4 Mar, 2007 07:15 am
Link didn't come through.

So I guess if there was never a Babylonian captivity the Jews possibly would not have become monotheistic.
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Tue 6 Mar, 2007 12:06 am
Ugaritic religion
0 Replies

StephenH

Reply Sun 8 Jul, 2012 08:16 pm
@real life,
Can you site where in the old Testament this is?
Stephen
0 Replies

StephenH

Reply Sun 8 Jul, 2012 08:18 pm
@real life,
Can you cite where in the Hebrew (Bible) they are? Not the New Testament, just the Hebrew (Bible) (they don't even refer to it as the Bible) Later day Christians coined this term.
tsarstepan

Reply Sun 8 Jul, 2012 09:40 pm
@StephenH,
You do realize you just responded to a 5 plus year old set of responses from a poster who's last posting to this forum was over 4 year's ago, right. 4 years is about two decades in internet forum timescale.
Miller

Reply Thu 12 Jul, 2012 01:49 pm
@talk72000,
"talk72000" Quote:

Quote:
Lucifer is mention in Isaiah 14:12 and Jesus is identified as Lucifer in Revelation 22:16

Lucifer is mentioned in Isaiah 14:12, but where in the Torah is Jesus identified as Lucifer. Likewise, while Jesus maybe identified as Lucifer in Revelation 22:16, that passage is in the New Testament.

Jesus is not mentioned in the Torah.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Thu 12 Jul, 2012 01:52 pm
@real life,
[quote="real life"

There are numerous prophecies regarding Christ in the Old Testament.

It was written that He would be of David's family, that He would be born in Bethlehem, that He would be called a Nazarene, that He would receive punishment for sins not His own, that He would be called the Mighty God, that He would speak to the House of Israel AND show Light to the Gentiles, etc.
[/quote]

Please provide the citations for your references. Who is this " He" you're mentioning, and where in the Torah does one find that the "He" referred to is Jesus?
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Thu 12 Jul, 2012 01:55 pm
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:

You do realize you just responded to a 5 plus year old set of responses from a poster who's last posting to this forum was over 4 year's ago, right. 4 years is about two decades in internet forum timescale.

I just noticed that!
0 Replies

xxxx

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2012 07:35 pm
@Jeremiah,
In the old testament a covenant was made between God and Moses. God promised to send a savior. Does that make him part of the old testament? If that was not included in the Old Testament there would be no connection between the Old and New Testament. God promised to send a savior in the Old testament and in the New Testatment that convenant was fulfilled by Jesus. If you believe that Jesus was the Savior than yes he was mentioned in the Old Testament and that would make him a part of it.
Miller

Reply Sat 21 Jul, 2012 07:40 pm
@xxxx,
You haven't proven that the "savior" mentioned in the Torah is the same savior mentioned in the New Testament.

It's something like an algebra equation: If A=B, and C= B, then A=C.
0 Replies

anthony1312002

Reply Mon 10 Sep, 2012 01:29 pm
@Jeremiah,
Jeremiah, it's interesting that you would ask this question. In the old testiment, otherwise known as the Hebrew Scriptures because of its being written primarily in that language as well as Aramaic, there are serveral references made about Jesus. One of them is found in the book of Proverbs chapter 8. In reading the entire chapter for proper context we see the creation of things pertaining to physical creation being related. Then, starting in verse 30 note what the Bible says:

"vs 30 then I came to be beside him as a master worker, and I came to be the one he was specially fond of day by day, I being glad before him all the time, vs 31 being glad at the productive land of his earth, and the things I was fond of were with the sons of men."

Who is this I, that came to be beside God as a master worker?
Well, The expression: "came to be beside him as a master worker", indicates that the person speaking has a very special relationship with the creator. Does this mean that the person speaking was a human? No it does not. This is indicated by looking up a few verses into the context of the reading. At verses 25 and 26, the person talking makes it clear that he was in existance before the earth had been created. So that rules out the possibility of this being a human speaking. And when you do further research, you will find that the Bible indicates that the expression of: "then I came to be beside him as a master worker," is explained in other portions of the Bible. One of which is Luke 22:69 where Jesus is seen sitting at the right hand of God or "beside him." No where in the Bible is anyone other then Jesus ever described as having such a close and favored position with God. The Scriptures only assign this honor to Jesus. So, to answer your question: "Was Jesus ever mentioned in the Old Testament?" The answer is simply, yes.

I hope this helps. Feel free to contact me if you have further questions.
0 Replies

IsmailaGodHasHeard

Reply Tue 18 Dec, 2012 09:56 pm
@Jeremiah,
Yes. Isaiah 7:14 and 9:6.
0 Replies