Huh? UK Ordnance Map says Danger Zone

Piffka

Reply Tue 10 Jun, 2003 01:15 pm
I've been looking at Wiltshire and was astounded to see a designation east of Warminster on the online maps called "Danger Zone." It is outlined in red and has me nervous. Is it a military base? Are the downs dangerous there? Is there a prison?

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/newmap.srf?x=385000&y=135000&z=5&sv=385000,135000&st=4&ar=N&mapp=newmap.srf&searchp=newsearch.srf

I'm confused and have been searching the 'net for Wiltshire danger zone which brings up paintball and UFO websites. Maybe this is where the crop circles are? Wot? Wot??? Does anybody know what this danger zone means? You wouldn't believe how long it took for me to understand the significance of a blue flag beach. I imagine it is something simple like that. <sigh>
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 5,545 • Replies: 32
No top replies

oldandknew

Reply Tue 10 Jun, 2003 01:27 pm
Yes Piffka -------- there are lots of Army guys down that way with great big guns , tanks, missiles, the whole can of worms in fact. It's quite safe tho to drive thru there. They don't shoot civilians, honest.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 10 Jun, 2003 01:28 pm
Sounds like you might not want to hike through the red zone Shocked
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Tue 10 Jun, 2003 01:33 pm
Thanks, OAK. That's good -- glad civilians are not taken prisoner. So the danger is if you get out of your car and try to walk around? Sorry to be so dense -- I looked for a base or fort name but didn't see any.

This is completely different from maps for the US. Here I think it might show that there's a military reservation on the map and on the ground there'd be a big fence & signs that say to keep out.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Tue 10 Jun, 2003 01:35 pm
Hi Beth! You're right -- I would not want to be hiking there.

We once were hiking in Snowdonia and felt we were going to be strafed by incredibly fast-moving, low-flying jets. Very hard to concentrate on the hiking trail.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 10 Jun, 2003 01:36 pm
The area of your map is on the west end of Salisbury Plain. For more than three hundred years, Salisbury Plain has been a military training ground and assembly point. Specifically, the map to which you have referred shows that danger zone as being immediately east of Warminster. Acting upon that information, i went to the Ordnance Survey web site, found that map, and zoomed in. The Ordnance Survey site allows you to view a terrain map, which provides slightly different and more information than the map you viewed, which is largely a road map. The area marked danger zone is surrounded by rifle ranges and artillery ranges. I would suspect that the area so marked is either the natural range limit of the weapons used in those ranges, and is therefore a "landing zone" for spent ammunition, and/or there is a strong possibility of encountering unexploded ordnance in that area. There is a similarly marked area on the east side of the Salisbury Plain (at the site you linked, just click on the arrow on the right side of the map, you'll see the area marked danger zone there, as well). Getting a terrain map at the Ordnance Survey site for that area, and zooming in, reveals the same cluster or rifle and artillery ranges. I'd say that is the only reason for marking them "danger zones" on the map--and damned good thing, too. You wouldn't want to hike in the area, and you especially wouldn't want to go "souvenir hunting" there.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 10 Jun, 2003 01:38 pm
Quote:
Following the demise of the Corn Market a host of rural and light industries developed including silk throwing, paint manufacture, banana ripening, barley breeding, greeting card production, gloving, shoe making, and packaging. Many of these have now, in turn, gone but the town has maintained its links as a military centre, particularly with regard to the Warminster Training Centre (formerly the School of Infantry) and ABRO (formerly the Reme Workshops).

http://www.warminster.co.uk/index.html
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 10 Jun, 2003 01:39 pm
Well, i spent so damned long making sure of my hunch before i offered it, that everyone else got here and gave the answer . . . sniff . . . i guess i'm not needed here . . .
0 Replies

oldandknew

Reply Tue 10 Jun, 2003 01:41 pm
Oh by the way Piffka, it's illegal for civilians to carry guns in the UK.
So you can't join in if you want too.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/wiltshire/features/territotial_army_training.shtml

this will give you a little idea
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 10 Jun, 2003 01:43 pm
you could maybe go see something like this?

Quote:
The British Army’s Land Warfare Training Centre (LWTC) staged the first of its tri-annual Combined Arms Firepower Demonstrations (CAFDs) on 16 and 17 January at the Warminster Training Centre on the edge of Salisbury Plain, England.

Staged primarily for the benefit of the Army Junior Division and Royal Military Academy Sandhurst, these events demonstrate through a live-fire exercise the interlocking use of all the British Army’s main firepower assets, from main battle tanks (MBTs) to individual weapons, in conjunction with airborne elements from the Army Air Corps (AAC) and air force.

The troops involved in the demonstration were mostly drawn from the LWTC Battlegroup, which consists of the 1st Battalion The Staffordshire Regiment along with A Squadron 1st Royal Tank Regiment (1 RTR) and the LWTC’s own engineer troop.

Opening this latest CAFD was a demonstration of mine warfare assets, including a Barmine layer, the Shielder Vehicle-Launched Scatterable Mine System and the Python (Improved Giant Viper) minefield breaching system. LWTC engineers then demonstrated the deployment of a Chieftain armoured vehicle-launched bridge and the preparation of an anti-tank ditch using an FV180 Combat Engineer Tractor and JCB.

The British Army’s range of armoured assets were then put through their paces. 1 RTR provided a troop of Challenger 2 MBTs while 1 Staffords provided a platoon of three Warrior infantry fighting vehicles, a section of three 81mm mortar-carrying FV432 armoured personnel carriers along with a reconnaissance section comprising two Sabre CVR(T) reconnaissance vehicles. From 14th Regiment Royal Artillery (14 Regt RA) came a battery of four AS90 155mm self-propelled howitzers and a Warrior artillery observation post vehicle that forward-deployed with the Sabres.

A Multiple Launch Rocket System and Stormer High Velocity Missile Carrier from 14 Regt RA also put in an appearance, although these units could not fire due to the confines of the range.

Infantry sections deploying from the Warriors, meanwhile, were able to demonstrate their inherent firepower with individual weapons, grenades and L10A1 51mm mortars as well as their anti-armour capabilities with firings of MILAN and 94mm LAW anti-tank weapons. The 1st Battalion The Royal Welch Fusiliers also contributed with a demonstration of sustained fire support using general-purpose machine guns.

Airborne anti-armour and observation/scout assets involved in the CAFD came in the form of a Westland Lynx AH.7 and Westland Gazelle AH.1 from 3 Regiment AAC, while a Chinook HC.2 from 27 Squadron at RAF Odiham demonstrated its ability to carry an underslung L118 105mm Light Gun into the battle area.

The finale of the CAFD comprised a battle scenario that also involved RAF assets. Two Tornado GR.4s from 12 Squadron (RAF Lossiemouth) provided strike support and two Harrier GR.7s from 3 Squadron (RAF Cottesmore) clearly demonstrated their close air support role with a rocket attack on the target area.

http://www.janes.com/defence/land_forces/gallery/warminster/warmin_intro.shtml
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Tue 10 Jun, 2003 01:44 pm
Three hundred years of military maneuvers? And it is such beautiful countryside to be spoiled.

Thanks, Setanta, for explaining more about the ordnance maps. The zooming in and out has been taking me forever, and there seems to be a big jump between zooms outs. It didn't occur to me to look for a terrain map. I'll have to explore online further, but I think I'm just going to go to a bookstore and buy a map.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 10 Jun, 2003 01:47 pm
Well, Boss, you can buy those maps from the Ordnance Survey on-line. I'll go get you a link. 1:10,000 will give you the best detail if you were driving the lonely byways or hiking--but you then need a lot of maps to cover the area. The Ordnance Survey site offers maps in a great number of scales--and, by the by, you can get the same thing for the U.S. from the Geological Survey Office--i don't know what they call it now, and i'm sure the name has been changed since i used to lurk around their office in D.C. in the 1960's. I'll go get you a link.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 10 Jun, 2003 01:51 pm
Here ya go:

Ordnance Survey Site[/color]

You will see a drop down selection window entitled "Select from the list below"--and it is here that you specify the scale you want for the map you buy. In the upper right-hand corner, at the very top, is "Site Search & FAQ's" which is where you would go to view a map on line.
0 Replies

oldandknew

Reply Tue 10 Jun, 2003 01:52 pm
It's a tuff life Setanta, but us uk natives who've driven thru the county of Wiltshire don't give it a 2nd thought, except when we see a bunch of tanks and a missile launcher parked outside the village pub, alongside the combined harvesters and the tourist busses
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 10 Jun, 2003 01:54 pm
Ah yes, but tell me, if someone had posted such a question about the Kentucky/Tennessee border near the Mississippi River, would you have known that it likely referred to a military reservation? Give me credit for having extracted some practical value from all the history i've read.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Tue 10 Jun, 2003 01:56 pm
Haha, me in the Territorial Army? Imagine being blindfolded and trying to take down a 12 foot tent? <snort> Somebody has apparently seen me camping in the dark.

I must be sure and keep this under wraps since Mr. P & son are avid military buffs. They'd seriously consider spending time watching these fellas shooting at each other.

Thanks for your help, you three. And Setanta, your searching out the website was very helpful. You get a gold star for each collar. Terrain -- whooda thought it?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 10 Jun, 2003 01:59 pm
ahhhhhhhhhh, watching manoeuvres. now there's a vacation plan. Rolling Eyes
NOT!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 10 Jun, 2003 02:00 pm
I'd rather go watch a re-enactment at Naseby or Marston Moor; be thankful i don't know how to contact Mr. P, or i'd recommend it to him.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 10 Jun, 2003 02:03 pm
ok - you go with Mr. P, and I'll travel with Piffka. We get the dogs.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 10 Jun, 2003 02:05 pm
How come you get the dogs . . . bet i could get Miss Cleo to abandon you in favor of me, huh ?
0 Replies