What in the heck is Sciencetology?

Reply Thu 23 Mar, 2006 02:55 pm
I heard them talking about it on the radio earlier.... And I have been hearing it more and more.. I know it is some sort of religion... but the radio was talking about how it was for rich people...

What is it? Embarrassed
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 12 • Views: 87,227 • Replies: 38

dlowan

Reply Thu 23 Mar, 2006 03:02 pm
Did you mean Scientology?

If so:

Babylon English-English

• Scientology

n. philosophical religion which uses various psychotherapy techniques in order to bring about "spiritual and emotional release" (founded in California by L. Ron Hubbard in 1954) Wikipedia English - Free Encyclopedia

• Scientology

Scientology is a new religious movement established in 1951 and intended as a alternative to psychotherapy by science-fiction author L. Ron Hubbard, then recharacterized in 1953 as an "applied religious philosophy". Non-Scientologists, however, view his ideas about psychotherapy as pseudoscientific.
The term Scientology is a trademark of the Religious Technology Center, which licenses its use and the copyrighted works of Hubbard to the controversial Church of Scientology. The Church presents itself as a religious non-profit organization dedicated to encouraging development of the human spirit, and providing counseling and rehabilitation programs as an alternative to psychiatry, which Scientologists believe is a barbaric and corrupt profession [1]. Church spokespeople attest that Hubbard's teachings (called "technology" or "tech" in Scientology terminology) have freed them from addictions, depression, learning disabilities, mental illness and other problems.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 23 Mar, 2006 03:02 pm
whoo boy....

THIS has the makings of a really good thread...I'll wait until I'm home with some hot cocoa to read.
0 Replies

Crazielady420

Reply Thu 23 Mar, 2006 03:06 pm
That is what I meant.. spelt it wrong... Listening to the radio earlier.. they said that only wealthy people join this religion and that the more money you have, the higher up you are.... is that true?

Also does it have to do with alien beings? These are things I have heard...
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 23 Mar, 2006 03:07 pm
Wikipedia on it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ScientologY
0 Replies

snood

Reply Thu 23 Mar, 2006 03:08 pm
One word - Google....
0 Replies

Crazielady420

Reply Thu 23 Mar, 2006 03:09 pm
Thanks dlowan.... Now I understand something I once saw in H.S. too...
0 Replies

Crazielady420

Reply Thu 23 Mar, 2006 03:10 pm
snood wrote:
One word - Google....

I had a brief idea what it was, I know how to google... I wanted more of a people based opionion... to see if I only heard rumors of that stuff or not
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 23 Mar, 2006 03:47 pm
From what my friend described - she recently read a huge article on it - it may be geared toward rich people because you NEED to give money to the organization. Unlike other religions where you donate as much as you can, you must give money. I believe she said read as you get higher up in the hierarchy you give more money. The funny thing is according to this article, Tom Cruise is higher in the hierarchy than many people practicing this for many more years including what you would equate to like a Cardinal or similar.

I will see if my friend has a link to the article, however, it was in a small local South Shore paper so not sure if there will be an actual link available. This article stated as you progress in the hierarchy (and thus pay more money) you learn more and more of this religion's theories. One of the highest levels does state that we (humans) come from aliens from outerspace. According to the article that is when many members leave the organization.
0 Replies

Doktor S

Reply Thu 23 Mar, 2006 03:53 pm
For some good information on how crazy these people are, google the term OT3
It makes revalation look like a logicians notebook.
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Thu 23 Mar, 2006 05:00 pm
i think i may have figured out part of Scientology's appeal for Tom Cruise. Scientology head honcho David Miscavige makes Tom Cruise look tall.

http://www.lermanet.com/scientology/tom-cruise-david-miscavige.jpg
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Thu 23 Mar, 2006 06:19 pm
Hee hee, good one yitwail.

I just heard on an entertainment show the other night that my cousin, the one I've never met that I mentioned on the "power to end a thread^^" thread, is a Scientologist. Rolling Eyes Now I don't care if I meet him or not...whatta dork...
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Thu 23 Mar, 2006 08:34 pm
Doktor S wrote:
Sort of a rich man's Eckankar, eh?
0 Replies

Doktor S

Reply Thu 23 Mar, 2006 08:59 pm
Heh.
Feel the ECK

But in all seriousness, even Eckankar (which is in my mind only more ludicrous than 'vanilla' christianity on a social perceptual scale) is nothing compared to sceintology.
OT3 is their 'creation myth'. basicly, some very bad high school level sci fi
0 Replies

snood

Reply Thu 23 Mar, 2006 10:17 pm
Doktor S wrote:

Hey, to each their own...
One could make the argument that Satanists are loony tunes.
0 Replies

Doktor S

Reply Fri 24 Mar, 2006 02:09 am
snood wrote:
Doktor S wrote:

One could make the argument that Satanists are loony tunes.

Really?
Not coherently, they couldn't.
I highly doubt you have a clue what constitutes Satanism, or indeed what you are talking about.
I've not seen such proficient ass-talking since ace ventura Smile
0 Replies

Doktor S

Reply Fri 24 Mar, 2006 02:15 am
Quote:

That is the sort of PC egalitarian permissivness that allows religious extremism to thrive. It's bullshit. All worldviews and philosophies are certainly not created equal, and should not be acredited equal merit 'just because' people happen to believe it.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Fri 24 Mar, 2006 05:26 am
Doktor S wrote:
Quote:

That is the sort of PC egalitarian permissivness that allows religious extremism to thrive. It's bullshit. All worldviews and philosophies are certainly not created equal, and should not be acredited equal merit 'just because' people happen to believe it.

Really? Well, to each his own... Laughing
0 Replies

chr42690

Reply Sat 25 Mar, 2006 10:38 am
Tom Cruise
The only reason you have heard about it is because Tom Cruise practices scientology. I am not sure exactly what they practice.
0 Replies

Doktor S

Reply Sat 25 Mar, 2006 02:10 pm
Quote:

According to Hubbard, 75 million years ago, there was a confederation of 76 planets, including Earth. The "Galactic Confederation" (the title comes from the science fiction of E.E. 'Doc' Smith), was ruled by Xenu (also called "Xemu" by Hubbard). Overpopulation had become a serious problem, which Xenu resolved by murdering many of the inhabitants of the Confederation. Hubbard estimated that the 76 planets averaged 178 billion people each. The people were killed and the thetans (or spirits) gathered, frozen in a mixture of glycol and alcohol, and brought to Earth where they were placed near volcanoes which were exploded with hydrogen bombs. The thetans were gathered on "electronic ribbons", packaged together as clusters and given 36 days of implanting, to render them servile and incapable of decision. A cluster is a collection of body thetans containing a leader and an "alternate" leader. The cluster conceives itself to be an individual. According to OT 3, everyone on Earth is in fact a collection of such clusters (Hubbard says that each person doing OT 3 will find "hundreds" of body thetans - many victims of this course believe that they find millions).

On OT 3, the individual finds "body thetans" by locating any sensation of pressure or mass in his or her body. This is addressed "telepathically" as a cluster, and taken through the cluster-making incident of 75 million years ago. Once this is done, the individual body thetans should be available to be taken through either the same incident or the incident of entry into this universe. This is called "incident one", and supposedly occured four quadrillion years ago. This incident is described in the materials as: "Loud snap - waves of light - chariot comes out, turns left and right - cherub comes out - blows horn, comes close - shattering series of snaps - cherub fades back (retreats) - blackness dumped on thetan." Most scientologists are unaware of the true definition of "cherub".

The Scientologist spends days or years dealing with "body thetans" (I have known two people who "audited" this procedure almost every day for eleven years). Scientology materials of different dates assert that at the end of OT 3 the individual will be "stably exterior" (from his body - out of his head, it might be rephrased), free from "overwhelm" (i.e., nothing will ever overwhelm him emotionally again), and have total recall of his entire round of incarnations from four quadrillion years ago to the present. Secret materials seen only by those selling the course give the "end phenomenon" as a "big win" urging that the person be put onto the next course - where they pay by the hour - quickly.

Anyone who encounters this material without having undertaken Scientology courses up to OT 2 will supposedly die from pneumonia.

OT 3 is of course in substantial disagreement with conventional geology. Geologists hold that almost all of the volcanoes listed by Hubbard and both Hawaii and Los Palmas came into being far more recently than 75 million years ago. On a simple point of logic, it seems strange that none of these volcanoes was damaged by the explosion of the hydrogen bombs. Hubbard was taking barbiturates and drinking heavily when he wrote this material, according to letters he wrote at the time which are kept from scientologists by the management of Scientology.

From
http://www.skeptictank.org/hs/ot3.htm
0 Replies