Big freeze an alternative to cremation

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2005 12:56 pm
Quote:
Sweden's new funeral rite - bodies freeze-dried, powdered and made into tree mulch

A town in Sweden plans to become the first place in the world where corpses will be disposed of by freeze-drying, as an environmentally friendly alternative to cremation or burial. Jonkoping, in southern Sweden, is to turn its crematorium into a so-called promatorium next year.

Swedes will then have the chance to bury their dead according to the pioneering method, which involves freezing the body, dipping it in liquid nitrogen and gently vibrating it to shatter it into powder. This is put into a small box made of potato or corn starch and placed in a shallow grave, where it will disintegrate within six to 12 months.

People are to be encouraged to plant a tree on the grave. It would feed off the compost formed from the body, to emphasise the organic cycle of life.

The national burial law is currently being updated to accommodate a practice that is expected to spread across the country over the next few years.

The technique was conceived by a Swedish biologist, Susanne Wiigh-Masak, 49, who said: "Mulching was nature's original plan for us, and that's what used to happen to us at the start of humanity - we went back into the soil.

"But we need to tell people in this day and age that this can once again be a dignified and comfortable option." According to Mrs Wiigh-Masak's method, which she has called "promession" - the promise to return to the earth what emerged from the earth - the dead body is frozen and dried, using liquid nitrogen.

A mechanical vibration then causes the body to fall apart within 60 seconds before a vacuum removes the water.

Then a metal separator picks out metals such as artificial hips and dental fillings.

Jonkoping's motivation for converting its crematorium into a promatorium is mainly practical. According to European environmental laws, it faced a multi-million pound bill for the installation at its 50-year-old crematorium of a new gas-cleaning system and furnace.

The alternative was the much cheaper conversion and a more environmentally friendly procedure.

Source

How it is done/company infos etc

The Swedish part of Mrs. Walter's family lives there Shocked
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,373 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2005 02:25 pm
Sounds like a "viable" (I don't know why THAT particular word popped into my head Very Happy )option, Walter.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2005 02:44 pm
I really like it.

could you still save the remains if you wanted to, like in an urn?
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2005 03:08 pm
So, instead of fire, it would be freezing?

In terms of pollutants I would question the polluting effect of the freezing process with everything we have learned about CFC's related to freezers and their effects on the ozone layer. If people all over the world suddenly started to send their dead for freezing and freeze-drying and then burial of the powdered remains wouldn't a lot more freezing equipment as wells a liquid nitrogen be in demand and, with turnover of equipment and supplies, the waste of these tools be harder to safely get rid of?

I can see the image of cleanliness and environmental friendliness in the freezing process but think it would still have a high pollution potential due to improper discardation of the CFC's and liquid nitrogen. If we can't currently properly monitor crematoriums then it scares me to death thinking about the idiots who would run these freezing facilities and supposedly taking care of the dead.
0 Replies