Dual-Citizenship in Scotland

McTag

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2008 07:54 am
@jonboy7,

Yes, but note that southern Ireland is a separate country....usually called Ireland, or Eire, while the six counties of the north are called Ulster or Northern Ireland, and are part of the UK.

(A bit of Ulster is outside the UK too)
jonboy7

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2008 01:01 pm
@McTag,
i wonder if it is easy to work in southern Ireland if i have a UK citizenship.
DrummerGuy

Reply Thu 18 Jun, 2009 05:14 am
@jonboy7,
Actually, yes. England and Ireland are both part of the European union which allows citizens from the other countries permission to work in the others without a work permit.
0 Replies

Keith Anderson

Reply Fri 26 Jun, 2009 07:24 pm
@McTag,
What type of beer?
McTag

Reply Fri 26 Jun, 2009 11:47 pm
@Keith Anderson,

Quote:
What type of beer?

Heavy.
0 Replies

pjames

Reply Tue 1 Dec, 2009 05:15 am
@aw316,
You should've married the Scotsman yourself. We old-Worlders are not that much family centric!!
0 Replies

arcticscot

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2010 10:02 pm
@mloftus11,
I hate to break it to you but there is no such thing as Scottish citizenship. All Scots are British citizens.

Next, although I was born in Scotland and my sons are dual citizens, their kids are not.

If neither you nor at least one of your parents were not born there, you are not eligible for British citizenship.

As they say, there are only two types of people in the world, those that are Scots - and those that wish they were...
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2010 01:27 am

Here's tae us! Wha's like us?
Damn few, an' they're a' deid.
0 Replies

Slayerog

Reply Fri 1 Feb, 2013 04:49 pm
I was born in Scotland to US parents that were there for US Navy. I am about 50-60 % Scottish by blood and on both sides of my family. My birth certificate is from Scotland and I know of my families ancestry through clans Forbes on my mothers side and Chisholm on my fathers. I am over 18 and was considered to naturally become a US citizen at 18. Would I be considered a British citizen, and if not would it be possible for me to use my birth as part of citizenry...I ask this due to my father being US military and not a Scottish citizen.
arcticscot

Reply Wed 20 Mar, 2013 07:48 pm
@Slayerog,
I am assuming that you did not renounce British citizenship when becoming a naturalized American citizen. If such is the case your birth certificate from Scotland should suffice.
0 Replies

Jackiepalmer

Reply Sun 6 Oct, 2013 05:49 pm
Can anyone tell me the requirements for obtaining duel citizenship for Scotland? I am a United States citizen and would like to have a citizenship fro Scotland. My mother was born in Glasgow, Scotland, as weremy Grandparents. Would this be helpful for me to obtain citizenship?
0 Replies

Janeto

Reply Tue 30 Jun, 2015 10:53 am
@McTag,
When I did a post graduate program at University of Saint Andrews I did very well in my studies, in spite of being a yankee who normally only had lemonade with lunch every day at the pub with my classmates and professors. When I'd passed my comprehensive exams, one prof indicated that I still needed to prove I could be one of the guys, so we went to the pub and I matched him 3 shots chased by 3 pints of 80 bob. He congratulated me that he'd underestimated me and I was right in there with the rest (despite being American and a woman, in a maritime archaeology program with a bunch of burly guys). That said, I haven't a clue how I managed to walk home.
0 Replies

James Laidlaw

Reply Tue 6 Oct, 2015 12:02 pm
What happen if your dad side is a Laidlaw one Clan and your Mom side is a Gunn from Clan ?? which grand parents had passports from Scotland
0 Replies

cjansson

Reply Mon 18 Jan, 2016 08:51 pm
@Tantrumfly,
My wives dad was born at CarronShore , Falkirk. So she would have to apply for Scottish passport, with her dad birth certificate, and his marriage certificate
saab

Reply Wed 20 Jan, 2016 02:18 pm
@cjansson,
She would have to apply for a British passport.
I wish all those US citizens who wants to get a Scottish citizenship knew just a tiny bit more about Scotland and it is part of Britain.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2016 07:19 pm
@saab,
I think many confuse Ireland and Scotland.
saab

Reply Fri 22 Jan, 2016 03:02 am
@cicerone imposter,
How can they confuse Ireland and Scotland when they say that father or mother or a grandparent were Scottish?
Tes yeux noirs

Reply Sun 24 Jan, 2016 01:54 pm
@saab,
Quote:
How can they confuse Ireland and Scotland when they say that father or mother or a grandparent were Scottish?

Ireland... Scotland... Poland... Goddamn dinky little countries... very easy to confuse.
0 Replies