New Travel Itch: Scotland

littlek

Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2010 06:21 pm
My interest in Scotland has been building. It turns out my dad's family may be more Scot than Irish or English. I love Pratchett's Picties. I have just watched a newish King Arthur movie set in Scotland.

Scotland has it all. It's not a long flight and there are mountains, rivers, lakes, coastlines, archeology, anthropology, ruins, islands..... And, perhaps there are fewer tourists than in Ireland.

Any A2Kers from there? Have any been there?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 17 • Views: 5,063 • Replies: 52
No top replies

Mame

Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2010 06:46 pm
Hi littlek -

Yes, my mother's side is Scottish and I love it, too. I've been to Glasgow and Edinburgh - my daughter lived in E for a year. I'd love to do a whole tour of it - I'm fascinated with its history and architecture. I hope you get to go!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2010 06:50 pm
I am interested in the same: history and architecture. But, not necessarily ALL of the warfare. Mame, I talk about traveling way more than I do it. I think it's a coping mechanism.
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2010 07:15 pm
@littlek,
I saw up a Scotsman's kilt once. Two years of intensive therapy and I can finally talk about it.

You have to buy a family tartan. Try hagis, vomit, swear to never put anything that smells that bad in your mouth again, drink warm beer and fish in cold water till parts drop off. Edinburgh castle, and the castle where they filmed Harry Potter are worth seeing. Prepare yourself for the worst weather of your life. Try not to get into fights with drunken scotsmen. See if you can visit a highland games and catch some highland dancing.
Or the famous scottish regiments
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Es0t50H44IE&NR=1
Or a small village somewhere
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNBNqUdqm1E&feature=related
littlek

Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2010 07:31 pm
@Ionus,
I once had the opportunity to see up a Scotsman's kilt, but I left after snogging for a bit. God I hope they don't wear those kilts around too much. I might not be able to control myself so well the next time.

If I get a chance to visit: I drink my beer warm anyway, so no worries. I will not eat haggis, or any other meat for that matter. Here's hoping they have salads and bread. I tried to find a family tartan to no avail. I'll keep digging.

I live in new england, how much worse can the weather be? Right now we have strong wind, pouring rain mixed with snow, and it's around 40ºF during the day. It's been raining since Thursday and won't clear until next Tuesday.
margo

Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2010 07:33 pm
Hi, K

I've never been particularly interested in Scotland (been to Ireland twice!).

Recently, however, friends transferred there (from Sweden) and they says it's lovely - apart from the weather, which can be grim. It rained for 55 days straight last summer (on the west coast). They love the people, too.

I'm now considering a short trip (well - sort of short - when you travel half way around the world and spend 26 hours in planes), perhaps in September.

I know little about it - so staying tuned!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2010 07:36 pm
@littlek,
If the cultural part of it interests you - take a little trip up to Cape Breton. They've kept many of the Celtic traditions well alive there.
littlek

Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2010 07:37 pm
@ehBeth,
Cape Breton also interests me....

Margo, keep me posted!
farmerman

Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2010 11:06 pm
@littlek,
If ya go, Ill give you some great geology wights to see.(If that interests you). Its a magnificently desolate countryside. However , I really like the north country the best, its really a place where its always early spring.
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2010 11:20 pm
@littlek,
Quote:
I live in new england, how much worse can the weather be? Right now we have strong wind, pouring rain mixed with snow, and it's around 40ºF during the day. It's been raining since Thursday and won't clear until next Tuesday.
Very Happy It'll be like a Caribbean holiday for you then...no rudey nudey...bikini only. Very Happy
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Mon 15 Mar, 2010 12:27 am
I'll be there in August for the arts/comedy/fringe festival.

Ill let you know what its like
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Mon 15 Mar, 2010 02:16 am

I yam Scottish.

Here's tae us! Wha's like us?
-Damn few, an' they're a' deid.
Ionus

Reply Mon 15 Mar, 2010 02:24 am
@McTag,
No you're not. You are an anglicised lowlander...we want a beer swilling hagus munching kilt wearing bag pipe playing highlander who fishes with his broadsword whilst cursing catholics and the devil and praying for the quick return of bonnie prince charlie.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Mon 15 Mar, 2010 02:25 am

History. This is on the isle of Skye

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c277/Tags1/101_0109.jpg
McTag

Reply Mon 15 Mar, 2010 02:29 am

Mountains, lochs. Here's me doing a spot of fishing. Well, posing, actually.

At Inchnadamph.

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c277/Tags1/FishingScotland2006054a.jpg
Ionus

Reply Mon 15 Mar, 2010 02:43 am
@McTag,
Now McT..that is the worst fake photo of nessie I have ever seen... that is clearly a man in a nessie suit.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 15 Mar, 2010 03:40 am
@McTag,
On Skye, there's a certain Barbara, with blue eyes.

Well, actually, she was there - 40 years ago: at McKays in Pitlochry.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Mon 15 Mar, 2010 03:53 am
See how you go walter see if she's still there.
http://www.mckayshotel.co.uk/
Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 15 Mar, 2010 04:03 am
@dadpad,
That's the place.

And since it hasn't got good critics the last couple of years ...
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 15 Mar, 2010 10:32 am
@littlek,
Been there too - a few times. I love Edinbourough (sp?) - believe it or not I have had the best Chinese food there - odd huh and the best fish and chips. Also had a fantastic time going to the pubs there.

We also took a trip to try to see the Loch Ness monster - just for fun.

0 Replies