38

Is Turkey in Europe or in Asia?

Reply Sun 8 May, 2005 05:36 am
I've seen threads about Turkey being discussed in both Europe and Asia forums. Now, there seems to be a disagreement about where Turkey should be considered to belong. what do you think? Is Turkey in Europe or in Asia?

Merry Andrew

3  
Reply Sun 8 May, 2005 05:52 am
Like Russia, both.

catch22

1  
Reply Sun 8 May, 2005 06:06 am
Turkey
Turkey is a NATO ally and occupies a strategic location between Eastern Europe, the Middle East, and the former Soviet Union. It straddles both Europe & Asia, what is generally referrred to as Eurasia.
Francis

0  
Reply Sun 8 May, 2005 06:06 am
One could say, as Merry Andrew does, Turkey is either in Europe and Asia.

The most part of Turkey is Anatolia and Anatolia is Minor Asia. But there is a part of Turkey in the European side of the Bosphor.

The problem arises when we ask this question : to which continent Turkish see themselves attached?

Turkish Europeans seems attached to Europe and Anatolians to Asia.

With all the political nuances that go with that.
shortncute11185

1  
Reply Wed 18 May, 2005 05:49 am
Europe, most definitely! Just because almost all of Turkey's geographical land is located on the Asian continent doesn't mean it's in Asia-the Turks are, naturally, more European in terms of culture, customs, etc. just like Russia is, so to make it "fair", I'd consider it to be part of Eurasia, with territory on both continents (e.g., Egypt is sometimes considered a part of the Middle East because of cultural/historical reasons although technically it's on the African continent.)
Keos

1  
Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2005 04:08 pm
Mmm... just referring to the location of where Turkey is - it's about in the middle east Smile I'd say it's more in the Asia than Europe even though the people there are more European than Asian. Could the word "Mediterranean" adequately describe the people of Turkey?

catch22 wrote:
Turkey is a NATO ally and occupies a strategic location between Eastern Europe, the Middle East, and the former Soviet Union. It straddles both Europe & Asia, what is generally referrred to as Eurasia

That sounds about right.

shortncute11185

1  
Reply Fri 12 Aug, 2005 01:18 am
hey Keos! Yes, I would think 'Meditteranean' is a much better term for Turkey! Smile

akhsoldier19

1  
Reply Mon 19 Sep, 2005 07:12 am
turkey is in asia. west asia, maybe, but it's still in asia.
engineerr

1  
Reply Wed 18 Apr, 2007 09:40 pm
It is a kind of bridge between Europa and Asia so we can say both... Laughing

1  
Reply Wed 18 Apr, 2007 09:58 pm
I will point out that Istanbul is partly in Europe, and partly in Asia.
ossobuco

0  
Reply Wed 18 Apr, 2007 11:06 pm
Agreeing with Francis and Roger.

And look to the really good writer, the nobel fellow, Orhan Pamuk, as he is a man of Istanbul with wide understanding. An engaging entry to his work is the book, Istanbul.

Merry Andrew

1  
Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2007 05:27 am
It really depends on where you're having your Thanksgiving dinner.

Think about it.

Francis

1  
Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2007 05:47 am
In those places places, there's no turkey for Thanksgiving (there's no Thanksgiving either)...

But you can find there your adventure key...

Merry Andrew

1  
Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2007 05:55 am
You know something weird, Francis? When I posted that, I absolutely knew that it would be you who would respond to it. Uncanny.

1  
Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2007 06:10 am
The National Geographic states that , geographically, its in Asia. That settles it. Anybody wanna kick some Grosvenor ass on this?

Francis

1  
Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2007 06:55 am
Merry Andrew wrote:

You know what, MA? I knew you would reply to me....

And that isn't uncanny.

03peaker

0  
Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2008 07:27 am
turkey asia or europe?
i think turkey should be in europe due to its geographical location even though it has cultural threads from west asia.
Setanta

3  
Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2008 07:46 am
Re: turkey asia or europe?
03peaker wrote:
i think turkey should be in europe . . .

Well, let's move the damned thing, then . . . Jesus, this is gonna cost an arm and a leg . . .
margo

1  
Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2008 09:00 pm
be something to watch, though!

0  
Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2008 09:14 pm
Like matters of scientific fact, geography should also be subject to a vote. Lets make it Europe.