WA2K Radio is now on the air

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2008 07:57 pm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYaRmIdBYHE

This song was recorded by hundreds of artists. But, how many of them did this well? Listen, please.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2008 08:02 pm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6-E8S0sV-E

I dedicate this to all of you good a2k people. I hope you like Dean Martin.
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2008 08:24 pm
They were both lovely edgar. Thanks.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2008 08:35 pm
Nite WA2K, and a hug for Miss Letty

Mr. Knopfler

http://www.albumrankings.com/showSong.php?song_id=887606

Rocky

A little outtake from Dean and Jerry

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ciD-rkjksUo&feature=related
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 8 Jun, 2008 03:22 am
Good morning, WA2K radio audience.

edgar, "I Dream of Jeannie" was done exceptionally well by that artist. My goodness, I had forgotten that oldie, Texas, and thanks. Incidentally, I listen to all the songs played on our little cyber station. Also enjoyed Dean's and Jerry's contributions.

Hey, Tai, nice to see you back again. Is your school house completed? Have you and Mr. Tai moved in yet?

Rock, thank you for the hug and the songs. Loved them both, honey.

Here's one back from all of us.

http://www.ronlcarnold.com/hugssmall.jpg

Today is Schumann's birthday, and I hope all of you listen to this one. I hadn't realized that Kevin Kline played it in the movie, Sophie's Choice. What a sad movie, but done well by both of the main characters.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aq8LDUCw6sg&feature=related
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Sun 8 Jun, 2008 07:01 am
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Sun 8 Jun, 2008 07:04 am
Robert Preston
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Born Robert Preston Meservey
June 8, 1918(1918-06-08)
Newton, Massachusetts
Died March 21, 1987 (aged 68)
Montecito, California
Spouse(s) Catherine Craig (1940-1987)
Awards won
Tony Awards
Best Leading Actor in a Musical
1958 The Music Man
1967 I Do! I Do!

Robert Preston (June 8, 1918 - March 21, 1987) was an American award-winning actor.

Biography

Early life

Preston was born Robert Preston Meservey in Newton, Massachusetts, the son of a garment worker. After attending Abraham Lincoln High School in Los Angeles, California, he studied acting at the Pasadena Community Playhouse. He would later serve as an intelligence officer with the U.S. 9th Air Force during World War II.

In 1940, he married actress Catherine Craig, to whom he remained married until his death.

Career

Preston appeared in many Hollywood films, predominantly Westerns, but is probably best remembered for his portrayal of "Professor" Harold Hill in Meredith Willson's musical The Music Man (1962). He won a Tony Award for his performance in the original Broadway production (1957). In 1974, he starred opposite Bernadette Peters in Jerry Herman's Broadway musical "Mack and Mabel" as Mack Sennett, the famous silent film director.

In 1961, Preston was asked to make a recording as part of a program by the President's Council on Physical Fitness to get schoolchildren to do more daily exercise. The song, "Chicken Fat," written by Meredith Willson and performed by Preston with full orchestral accompaniment, was distributed to schools across the nation and played for students in calisthenics every morning. The song later became a surprise novelty hit and a part of many baby-boomers' childhood memories.

Although he was not known for his singing voice, Preston appeared in several other stage and film musicals, notably Mame (1974) and Victor/Victoria (1982), for which he received an Academy Award nomination. His last role in a theatrical film was in The Last Starfighter, in which he played intergalactic con man/military recruiter "Centauri." Preston said he based the character of Centauri on Professor Harold Hill. He also starred in the HBO 1985 movie "Finnegan Begin Again" along with Mary Tyler Moore. His final role was in the TV movie Outrage! (1986).

Preston appeared on the cover of Time magazine on July 21, 1958.[1]. He died of lung cancer in 1987, at the age of 68.
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Sun 8 Jun, 2008 07:07 am
Dana Wynter

Born Dagmar Winter
June 8, 1931 (1931-06-08) (age 76)
Berlin, Germany
Spouse(s) Greg Bautzer

Dana Wynter (born Dagmar Winter on June 8, 1931) is a German/American actress. She appeared in film and television for more than four decades beginning in the 1950s.

Biography

Early life

Wynter was born in Berlin, Germany, the daughter of a noted surgeon. She grew up in England. When she was sixteen, her father went to Morocco to operate on a woman who wouldn't allow anyone else to attend her; he visited friends in Southern Rhodesia, fell in love with it and brought his daughter and her stepmother to live with him there. Wynter later enrolled as a pre-med student at Rhodes University (the only female in a class of 150) and also dabbled in theatre, playing the blind girl in a school production of Through a Glass Darkly, in which she says she was "terrible". After a year-plus of studies, she returned to England and shifted gears, dropping her medical studies and turning to an acting career.

Career

Wynter began her cinema career in 1951 by playing small roles, usually uncredited, in British films. One such was Lady Godiva Rides Again (1951) in which other future leading ladies, Kay Kendall, Diana Dors and Joan Collins played similarly small roles. She was appearing in the play Hammersmith when an American agent told her he wanted to represent her. She was again uncredited when she played Morgan Le Fay's servant in the 1953 MGM film, Knights of the Round Table.

Wynter left for New York on November 5, 1953, Guy Fawkes Day, a holiday commemorating a 1605 attempt to blow up the Parliament building. "There were all sorts of fireworks going off," she later told an interviewer, "and I couldn't help thinking it was a fitting send-off for my departure to the New World."

Wynter had more success in New York than in London. She appeared on the stage and on TV, where she had leading roles in Robert Montgomery Presents (1953), Suspense (1954, with Otto Preminger) and Studio One (1955, with Barry Sullivan), among others. She then moved west to Hollywood where, in 1955, she was placed under contract by 20th Century Fox. In that same year, she won the Golden Globe award for Most Promising Newcomer, a title she shared with Anita Ekberg and Victoria Shaw. Wynter graduated to playing major roles in major films. In 1956, she co-starred with Kevin McCarthy, Larry Gates, and Carolyn Jones in what is perhaps her most famous role, in the original Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956).

She starred opposite Robert Taylor in D-Day the Sixth of June (1956), alongside Rock Hudson and Sidney Poitier in Something of Value (1957), Mel Ferrer in Fräulein (1958), Robert Wagner in In Love and War (1958), James Cagney and Don Murray in Shake Hands with the Devil (1959), Kenneth More in Sink the Bismarck (1960) and Danny Kaye in On the Double (1961). She also played a leading role in The List of Adrian Messenger (1963).

During the next 20 years, she appeared as a guest star in literally dozens of television series and in occasional cameo roles in films such as Airport (1970). In 1966-67, she co-starred with Robert Lansing in the television series, The Man Who Never Was (TV series), but the effort lasted only one season. She appeared in the Irish soap opera Bracken (which also starred a young Gabriel Byrne) between 1978 and 1980. In 1993, she returned to TV to play Raymond Burr's wife in The Return of Ironside.

Personal life

Wynter divorced her only husband, celebrity attorney Greg Bautzer, in 1981. She and Bautzer had one child: Mark Ragan Bautzer, born on January 29, 1960. Wynter, once called Hollywood's "oasis of elegance", now divides her time between homes in California and County Wicklow, Ireland.
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Sun 8 Jun, 2008 07:11 am
Joan Rivers

Born Joan Sandra Molinsky
June 8, 1933 (1933-06-08) (age 75)
Brooklyn, New York, U.S.
Awards won
Emmy Awards
Best Talk Show Host, 1990

Joan Rivers (born Joan Sandra Molinsky on June 8, 1933) is an American comedian, actress, talk show host, businesswoman, and celebrity. She is known for her brash manner and loud, raspy voice with a heavy metropolitan New York accent. Rivers is the National Chairwoman of the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation and is a board member of God's Love We Deliver. Like the ground-breaking Phyllis Diller, Rivers' act relied heavily on poking fun at herself. A typical Rivers joke about her unattractiveness: "I used to stand by the side of the road with a sign: 'Last girl before freeway.'"

Biography

Early life and career

Joan Rivers was born Joan Sandra Molinsky in Brooklyn, New York, to Jewish-American parents Beatrice and Meyer C. Molinsky. She was raised in Westchester County, New York. She attended Connecticut College between 1950 and 1952, and graduated from Barnard College in 1954 with a B.A. in English and anthropology.

In the 1960s Rivers made television appearances as a comedian on the popular shows The Tonight Show and The Ed Sullivan Show, as well as hosting the first of her several talk shows. Later in that decade she made a brief but notable appearance opposite Burt Lancaster in the film, The Swimmer. She was also a regular gag writer and performer on TV's Candid Camera.

1970s

In the 1970s, Joan Rivers appeared often as a guest on various television comedy and variety shows. One notable appearance on The Carol Burnett Show had her spoofing Valerie Harper in Rhoda (Rivers' character was named "Rhonda"), to the delight of the audience. From 1972 to 1976, she was the narrator for The Adventures of Letterman, an animated segment for The Electric Company.

In 1978, Rivers directed and wrote the film Rabbit Test starring her friend Billy Crystal. The avant garde movie about a man who gets pregnant produced disappointing results at the box office.

Rivers was the opening act for singer Helen Reddy on the Las Vegas Strip during the '70s. She would eventually become a headliner in her own right to standing room crowds continuing into the 1980s. Rivers also recorded a popular record album of her live stand-up act entitled What Becomes a (Semi) Legend Most?

1980s and 1990s

Joan Rivers continued to gain acclaim on television as she would often be brought in as a guest host of The Tonight Show throughout the 1980s.

In 1986, Rivers hosted her own evening talk show, The Late Show Starring Joan Rivers, on the then-fledgling Fox Television Network; her talk show was one of the launch shows for the new network. The show lasted about a year. When it began, Rivers had already become the permanent guest host for Johnny Carson on The Tonight Show. Carson was so upset by her decision to leave without discussing it with him that he banned her from his show, even after Rivers' show failed. Rivers reportedly tried to call Carson on the phone personally. When he answered, she talked to him, but Carson hung up on her. The two never did reconcile, as Carson died in 2005.

Soon after the cancellation of her series, Rivers saw a published interview claiming that her husband Edgar Rosenberg, who was a producer on her show, had tried to drive her insane during his illness. According to the interview, she was reported to have commented, "...I think things are just about finished with Edgar" and referred to her former boss at the Fox Network as "Barry (expletive) Diller." Rivers then went public with the news, saying in tears that a "Ben Hacker" had fabricated the story with what she called "vicious lies." A suit was filed against "Hacker."

In 1988, Rivers guest-starred on the Pee-Wee's Playhouse Christmas Special, along with other stars, which included Oprah Winfrey, Charo, and Cher. In some sense, it was Rivers' way of repaying Paul Reubens (creator of the character Pee-Wee Herman, and the show) who was the very first guest on her talk show when it premiered in 1986.

Not long after this, Rosenberg committed suicide, devastating Rivers. In her book, Bouncing Back, she describes how she developed bulimia and contemplated suicide. Eventually she got better with counselling and the support of her family.

Eventually she returned to television with a daytime talk show of her own, The Joan Rivers Show, which ran from 1989 until 1994. Her enormous stock of bored husband jokes could no longer be used. A Rivers favorite had been: "When Edgar and I were first married, we'd play 'catch me, catch me!' and we'd run around the house. We still play 'catch me, catch me!' but now we walk."

Beginning in 1997, Rivers hosted her own radio show on WOR in New York. In 2003, Rivers and the station mutually decided to part ways.

2000s

From 2005-2007, Joan Rivers was a host for the TV Guide channel, often co-hosting red carpet specials before awards shows with her daughter, Melissa Rivers, from whom she was estranged briefly after her husband's suicide. She was replaced by Lisa Rinna starting with the 2007 Emmy Awards telecast.[1] She previously worked for the E! Entertainment Television network in a similar role. In the movie Shrek 2, she cameoed as a computer-generated version of herself, hosting the parody ME! Medieval Entertainment Television channel.

When in New York, where she lives, Rivers appears weekly in workshop productions at the small venue The Cutting Room. She donates proceeds to the charities God's Love We Deliver (for which she is a board member) and Guide Dogs for the Blind. Rivers is an avid and unapologetic user of plastic surgery to enhance her looks, however this has occasionally resulted in ridicule and self-deprecation. This was played up in a Geico television commercial in which she delivers the lines "Am I smiling? I can't tell!" and "I can't feel my face!". She appeared in two episodes of the show Nip/Tuck during its second and third seasons. During her first appearance, she wanted to find out what she would look like without all the plastic surgery she has had and was horrified by the result. During her second appearance, she wanted to invest in a post-surgical health spa.

She is also an avid collector of jewellery. Rivers also appears regularly on television's The Shopping Channel (in Canada), and QVC (in both the U.S. and the U.K.), selling her own line of jewellery under the brand name "The Joan Rivers Collection", which in fact is one of that network's best-selling lines. Rivers was a guest speaker at the opening of the American Operating Room Nurses' 2000 San Francisco Conference.

Rivers is a grandmother to Edgar Cooper Endicott, who was born in 2000 during her daughter Melissa's brief marriage (1998-2003) to John Endicott.

Whilst touring in the UK, Rivers appeared on BBC Radio 4's Midweek programme and became involved in a heated on-air argument over the issue of race with broadcaster Darcus Howe.[2]

Together with Melissa, Rivers appeared in a special feature on the season one DVD set of The Golden Girls, commenting on the sometimes-odd fashion styles worn by the characters in the sitcom.

Both Joan and her daughter Melissa are frequent guests on Howard Stern's radio show.

Joan frequently appears as a panelist on UK game show 8 Out Of 10 Cats.

During an interview with Celebrity Week in October 2006, Rivers remarked that Mel Gibson "is an anti-Semitic son of a bitch. He should (expletive) die!"[3]

She has also insulted Chris Burney, the guitarist in the band Bowling for Soup, calling him "fatso" and renaming his band "Bowling for Crap". Later that year she voted Bowling for Soup the worst-dressed musicians. The band took this very seriously and bought an amp saying, "**** you, Joan." This was also been discussed on the Jimmy Kimmel Show.

Joan Rivers is a supporter of animal rights and an active member of PETA.[4]

As of April 2007, Joan Rivers has been fired from the Red Carpet on TV Guide. TV Guide chiefs have decided they want a friendlier face greeting the stars and have asked TV actress Lisa Rinna to take over the show.[5]

On The Simpsons episode "Make Room for Lisa", Homer Simpson asks an employee at Kharma-Ceutric, an alternative medicine shop, "What's keeping Joan Rivers alive?" to which she replies, "Fetal Grindings". Rivers was satirized in three other episodes as well.

On August 16, 2007, Rivers began a two-week workshop of her new play, with the working title "The Joan Rivers Theatre Project", at The Magic Theatre in San Francisco.

In January 2008, Rivers became one of 20 hijackers to take control of the Big Brother house in the UK, in a spin-off show entitled "Big Brother: Celebrity Hijack". She did so for one day, bringing her usual sniping wit with her.

Awards

Joan Rivers has been awarded the 1975 Georgie Award as "Best Comedienne", the Clio Award for "Best Performance in a TV Commercial" in 1976 and 1982, and the 1990 Daytime Emmy Award as "Best Talk Show Host."

In a 2005 Channel 4 poll to find The Comedian's Comedian, she was voted amongst the top 50 comedy acts ever by fellow comedians and comedy insiders.

Rivers co-hosted a segment of the Australian 2006 Logie Awards. She was given a specially commissioned pink Logie award, threw it over her shoulder and remarked "It's the ugliest award I have ever seen." Months later (in June), footage of the spectacle featured in an episode of Web Junk 20 and on YouTube.

In the 58th annual Emmy Awards in August 2006, Rivers interviewed Debra Messing for Rivers' 1000th red carpet interview.

On December 3, 2007, Rivers featured before Queen Elizabeth and The Duke of Edinburgh in the Royal Variety Show 2007 at the Liverpool Empire Theatre.
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Sun 8 Jun, 2008 07:13 am
James Darren

Born James William Ercolani
June 8, 1936 (1936-06-08) (age 71)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
Spouse(s) Gloria Terlitsky (1955-1959)
Evy Norlund (1960 - present)

James William Ercolani (born June 8, 1936), best known as James Darren, is an American television and film actor, television director, and singer.

Early life

Darren was born in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1936.

Career

Darren began his career as a teen idol, having been discovered by talent agent and casting director Joyce Selznick. This encompassed roles in films, most notably his role as Moondoggie in Gidget in 1959, as well as a string of pop hits for Colpix Records, the biggest of which was "Goodbye Cruel World" (#3 on the Billboard Hot 100 in 1961). He is also featured in one of the Scopitone series of pop music video jukebox films ("Because You're Mine").

Darren's role in the gritty 1961 World War II film The Guns of Navarone was an attempt to break out of his teen image. He then achieved success co-starring as impulsive scientist and adventurer Tony Newman in the science fiction television series, The Time Tunnel (1966-1967).

In the 1970s, Darren appeared as a celebrity panelist on Match Game.

Later, Darren had a regular role as Officer James Corrigan on the television police drama T.J. Hooker from 1983-1986. Subsequently he worked as a director on many action-based television series, including Hunter, The A-Team, and Nowhere Man, as well as dramas such as Beverly Hills, 90210 and Melrose Place.

In 1998 he achieved renewed popularity as a singer through his appearances on Star Trek: Deep Space Nine in the role of holographic crooner and advice-giver Vic Fontaine; many of his performances on the show were recorded for the album This One's From the Heart (1999). The album showed Darren, a close friend of Frank Sinatra, comfortably singing in the Sinatra style; the 2001 follow-up Because of You showed similar inspiration from Tony Bennett.

Some animation fans may know him as the singing voice of Yogi Bear in the 1964 animated film, Hey There, It's Yogi Bear!, on the song "Ven-e, Ven-o, Ven-a". Prior to that, he was the singing and speaking voice of "Jimmy Darrock" on an episode of The Flintstones.

Personal life

James Darren dated Barbara Bouchet after she won the "Miss Gidget" contest in 1959.

He has been married twice:

His first wife was Gloria Terlitzky with whom he had one son, Jim Moret, who for nearly a decade worked as a CNN reporter and anchor, and is currently Chief Correspondent for the syndicated news program Inside Edition.

His second wife is Evy Norlund, with whom he has two sons, Christian Darren, a writer, and Tony Darren, a musician and singer-songwriter.

James Darren and his wife are godparents to Nancy Sinatra's daughter Angela Jennifer Lambert (Frank Sinatra's first grandchild).

Quotes

On being a teen idol: "At times it was Chinese torture."
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Sun 8 Jun, 2008 07:15 am
Bernie Casey

Date of birth: June 8, 1939 (1939-06-08) (age 68)
Place of birth: Wyco, West Virginia
Career information
Position(s): Wide Receiver
College: Bowling Green State
NFL Draft: 1961 / Round: 1 / Pick 9
Organizations
As player:
1961-1966
1967-1968 San Francisco 49ers
Los Angeles Rams
Career highlights and Awards
Pro Bowls: 1
Honors: 1968 Pro Bowl
Stats at DatabaseFootball.com

Bernard Terry Casey (born June 8, 1939) is an American football player during the 1960s who later became an actor.

Career

The 6ft 4 inch (193 cm) Casey began his acting career in the film Guns of the Magnificent Seven, a sequel to The Magnificent Seven. From there he moved between performances on television and the big screen such as playing team captain for the Chicago Bears in the TV film Brian's Song. In 1983 he played the role of Felix Leiter in the unofficial (non-EON Productions) James Bond film Never Say Never Again. His comedic role as Colonel Rhumbus in the John Landis film Spies Like Us was followed by appearances in the Revenge of the Nerds sequels.

Also, during his career he worked with such well-known directors as Martin Scorsese in his 1972 film Boxcar Bertha and appeared on such television series as The Streets of San Francisco and as U.N. Jefferson, the national head of the Lambda Lambda Lambda fraternity in Revenge of the Nerds. In a good-natured spoof of 70s blacksploitation flicks, he played a caricature of himself, and other football players turned actors in Keenen Ivory Wayans's 1988 comedic film I'm Gonna Git You Sucka. 1994 saw Casey guest-starring in a two-episode story arc in Star Trek: Deep Space Nine (along with series star Avery Brooks) as the Maquis leader Lieutenant Commander Cal Hudson. He has continued working as an actor. In 2006, he co-starred in the film When I Find the Ocean alongside such actors as Lee Majors.

In a piece for NFL Films, he expressed his disillusionment with the NFL and professional sports in general, feeling like his creativity and individuality were thwarted by conservative elements in the league and ownership hierarchy. He also showed off some paintings of his own creation during the piece.

Personal life

Casey now resides in Los Angeles, California, with his long time girlfriend Chae Castillo and his two stepchildren Dakota Castillo-Smith and Rheo Smith.
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Sun 8 Jun, 2008 07:19 am
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Sun 8 Jun, 2008 07:21 am
Boz Scaggs

Background information

Birth name William Royce Scaggs
Born June 8, 1944 (1944-06-08) (age 64)
Canton, Ohio, U.S.
Genre(s) Blue-eyed soul, Rock, Blues-rock
Occupation(s) Singer, songwriter, guitarist
Instrument(s) Guitar, vocals
Years active 1965 - present
Label(s) Columbia, Virgin, Gray Cat
Associated acts Steve Miller Band
Website BozScaggs.com

Boz Scaggs (born William Royce Scaggs, 8 June 1944, Canton, Ohio) is an American singer, songwriter and guitarist.

Biography

Boz was born William Royce Scaggs in Canton, Ohio, the son of a traveling salesman. The family moved to Oklahoma, then to Plano, at that time a Texas farm town just north of Dallas. He attended a Dallas private school, St. Mark's, where a schoolmate gave him the nickname "Bosley." Soon, he was just plain Boz.

After learning guitar at the age of 12, he met Steve Miller at St. Mark's. In 1959, he became the vocalist for Miller's band, The Marksmen. The pair later attended the University of Wisconsin-Madison together, playing in blues bands like The Ardells and The Fabulous Knight Trains.

Leaving school, Scaggs briefly joined the burgeoning rhythm and blues scene in London. After singing in bands such as The Wigs and Mother Earth, he traveled to Sweden as a solo performer, and in 1965 recorded his solo debut album, Boz, which was not a commercial success. Scaggs also had a brief stint with the band The Other Side with fellow American Jack Downing and Brit Mac MacLeod.

Returning to the U.S., Scaggs promptly headed for the booming psychedelic music center of San Francisco in 1967. Linking up with Steve Miller again, he appeared on the Steve Miller Band's first two albums, Children of the Future and Sailor, which received good reviews from music critics. After being spotted by Rolling Stone publisher Jann Wenner, Scaggs secured a solo contract with Atlantic Records in 1968.

Despite good reviews, his sole Atlantic album, featuring the Muscle Shoals Rhythm Section and slide guitarist Duane Allman, achieved lukewarm sales, as did follow-up albums on Columbia Records. In 1976, he linked up with session musicians who would later form Toto and recorded his smash album Silk Degrees. The album reached number 2 on the U.S. charts and number 1 in a number of countries across the world, spawning three hit singles: "Lowdown", "Lido Shuffle", and "What Can I Say", as well as the MOR standard "We're All Alone", later covered by Rita Coolidge and Frankie Valli. A sellout world tour followed, but his follow-up album, the 1977 Down Two Then Left, did not fare as well commercially as Silk Degrees.

The 1980 album Middle Man spawned two top 20 hits, "Breakdown Dead Ahead" and "Jojo," and Scaggs enjoyed two more hits in 1980-81 ("Look What You've Done to Me" from the Urban Cowboy soundtrack, and "Miss Sun" from a greatest hits set, both U.S. #14 hits). But Scaggs' lengthy hiatus from the music industry (his next LP, Other Roads, wouldn't appear until 1988) slowed his chart career down dramatically. "Heart of Mine" in 1988, from Other Roads, was Scaggs' final top 40 hit but was a major adult contemporary success.

Scaggs continued to record and tour sporadically throughout the 1980s and 1990s, although he has semi-retired from the music industry, and now owns the San Francisco nightclub, Slim's.

Scaggs recorded Other Roads in the mid-1980s, took another hiatus and then came back with Some Change in 1994. He released Come On Home, an album of blues, and My Time, an anthology in the late 1990s. He garnered good reviews with Dig although the CD, which was released on September 11, 2001, was lost in the post-9/11 melée. In May 2003, Scaggs released But Beautiful, a collection of jazz standards that debuted at number 1 on the jazz charts.

He tours each summer, has a loyal cadre of fans, remains hugely popular in Japan, and released a DVD and a live CD in 2004.
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Sun 8 Jun, 2008 07:23 am
I don't want to do the dishes,
I don't want to do the wash,
I sprinkled clothes a week ago
And now my iron is lost!

I don't wanna clean the pots,
I don't wanna rattle pans,
I wanna read my e-mail,
And chat with all my friends!

The table needs some dusting
and the floor could sure be mopped,
But I know if I get started
There'll be no place to stop.

The closets are so full
Things are falling off the shelves,
I wish for cleaning fairies
And magic laundry elves!

They could sprinkle fairy dust
And twitch their little nose,
And the windows would be sparkling
And I'd have no dirty clothes.

I don't know what I'm saying,
My head is in the sky,
I must cook that meat that's graying
And bake that apple pie!

My husband needs a flea bath,
The dog needs some attention...
Oh, the other way around I mean!
My brain is in suspension!

I am running round in circles,
I am getting nothing done,
I keep thinking of the internet,
I'm missing all the fun!

I know I'm not addicted
Though I hear that all the time,
But I guess this stuff will have to wait,
Cause today I'll be ON LINE!!!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 8 Jun, 2008 07:34 am
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4-8Pin6NuA

Ray Charles, on Johnny Carson. The song is from his great album, Genius + Soul = Jazz. A strong performance.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 8 Jun, 2008 07:49 am
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Qe0WVHq6v0

For some Memories That Last, try this one, by Ray Price.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 8 Jun, 2008 08:27 am
Thanks, hawkman, for the bio's and the reminder of why many of us ladies have someone to help us do chores.

edgar, Ah, the late great Ray. Always love to hear him, Texas, and Ray Price's "Memories That Last" is part of all of us.

Let's listen to this one, y'all. I think that I have the right guy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gOX8w4uIZg
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 8 Jun, 2008 08:41 am
Ah, yas - - - James Darren

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSFGKGeKDyc&feature=related

A likeable guy with a few good records.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 8 Jun, 2008 08:58 am
edgar, James has a nice voice, but I just don't remember him. Perhaps Bobby Darin keeps diverting my attention.

Well, folks, I did NOT know that Nancy Sinatra was gay. That's a surprise. Bud claimed that "Nancy with the Smiling Face" was the best think that Frank Sinatra ever did.

Let's listen to this eerie one by Nancy and Lee.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sb-SVPJM4L4
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 8 Jun, 2008 09:10 am
A few fact about James Darren:

Born: 8 June 1936
Birthplace: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Best Known As: Moondoggie the surfer in Gidget

Name at birth: James William Ercolani

James Darren made the transition from teen idol to character actor sometime around 1965. Earlier he had been the handsome young surfer Moondoggie in the movie Gidget (1959, with Sandra Dee) and its sequels. Later he became the older-but-still-dashing type in TV shows like the cop drama T.J. Hooker (1983-86, with William Shatner and Heather Locklear). Still later he became a successful TV director. Darren also had an early career as a pop singer, recording the #1 hit "Goodbye, Cruel World."

Darren's son Jim Moret was at one time an anchor and reporter for the news network CNN.

Lee Hazlewood with Nancy was pretty good.
0 Replies