But regarding the gun that I toted

All I did was hold it high and go ...

BANG, PING, HUHH, ZSSS

I'll never, never do it again
0 Replies

shari6905

Reply Wed 24 May, 2006 03:20 pm
Aerosmith - Janie's Got A Gun Lyrics

Dum, dum, dum, honey what have you done?
Dum, dum, dum it's the sound of my gun.
Dum, dum, dum, honey what have you done?
Dum, dum, dum it's the sound

Janie's got a gun
Janie's got a gun
Her whole world's come undone
From lookin' straight at the sun
What did her daddy do?
What did he put you through?
They said when Janie was arrested
they found him underneath a train
But man, he had it comin' Now that Janie's got a gun
she ain't never gonna be the same.

Janie's got a gun
Janie's got a gun
Her dog day's just begun
Now everybody is on the run
Tell me now it's untrue.
What did her daddy do?
He jacked a little bitty baby
The man has got to be insane
They say the spell that he was under the lightning and the
thunder knew that someone had to stop the rain

Run away, run away from the pain yeah, yeah yeah yeah
Run away run away from the pain yeah yeah
yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah
Run away, run away, run, run away

Janie's got a gun
Janie's got a gun
Her dog day's just begun
What did her daddy do?
It's Janie's last I.O.U.
She had to take him down easy and put a bullet in his brain
She said 'cause nobody believes me. The man was such a sleeze.

He ain't never gonna be the same.

Run away, run away from the pain yeah, yeah
yeah yeah yeah
Run away run away from the pain yeah yeah
yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah
Run away, run away, run, run away

Janie's got a gun
Janie's got a gun
Janie's got a gun
Everybody is on the run

Janie's got a gun
Her dog day's just begun
Because Janie's got a gun
Janie's got a gun
Her dog day's just begun
Janie's got a gun
0 Replies

tin sword arthur

Reply Wed 24 May, 2006 03:26 pm
Depeche Mode
Barrel of a Gun

Do you mean this horny creep
Set upon weary feet
Who looks in need of sleep
That doesn't come
This twisted, tortured mess
This bed of sinfulness
Who's longing for some rest
And feeling numb

What do you expect of me
What is it you want?
Whatever you've planned for me
I'm not the one

A vicious appetite
It visits me each night
And won't be satisfied
Won't be denied
An unbearable pain
A beating in my brain
That leaves the mark of cain
Right here inside

What am I supposed to do?
When everything that I've done
Is leading me to conclude
I'm not the one

Chorus: Whatever I've done
I've been staring down the BARREL OF A GUN(chorus repeats three times)

Is there something you need from me?
Are you having your fun?
I never agreed to be
Your Holy One

Chorus x 3

_________
A little dark, but fits the theme.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 24 May, 2006 03:27 pm
Hey, shari. Where have you been, girl. Great song, honey.

Why we will just dedicate that one to Calamity Jane. Razz

Breaking news:

ACLU launches anti-surveillance campaign By LARRY NEUMEISTER, Associated Press Writer
10 minutes ago

NEW YORK - A civil rights group filed complaints with utility commissions and attorneys general in 20 states Wednesday, demanding that authorities probe whether phone companies broke laws by sharing customer records with the government's biggest spy agency.

The American Civil Liberties Union announced its "Don't Spy On Me" campaign with the complaints and a demand that the Federal Communications Commission in Washington look into the matter.

In full-page ads in eight newspapers, the ACLU asked the public to join the formal complaints, saying in bold type: "AT&T, Verizon and Other Phone Companies May Have Illegally Sent Your Phone Records to the National Security Agency."
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Wed 24 May, 2006 03:45 pm
Patti LaBelle
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Patti LaBellePatti LaBelle (born Patricia Louise Holt on May 24, 1944 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania) is a hugely revered African-American R&B/soul singer who fronted two moderately successful groups before rising to stardom as a solo artist in the late 1970s, influencing a new generation of female singers. She is best known for her strong vocals and her signature high-octave vocal belting. She has been largely compared to Aretha Franklin during the 1970s, but her distinguishing vocal range remains unique and recognizable, and she is widely regarded as one of the greatest vocalists of all-time [citation needed]. Her biography "Don't Block the Blessings," remained at the top of the New York Times best seller list for several weeks. In addition, she is also a bestselling cookbook author.

Biography

Early years

Born the youngest of five children including three sisters and a brother, Patti began singing at the age of 14 in church. A shy girl, Patti had a voice of a torch diva. A school teacher advised her to start a singing group.

With friend Cindy Birdsong, she formed a four-member girl group called the Ordettes in 1958. In 1959, when two of the original Ordettes left, Holt and Birdsong brought in singers Nona Hendryx and Sarah Dash.

Two years passed until the girls auditioned for Blue Note Records. The president, at the time, nearly passed on the group upon hearing the lead singer was Patti, or "Patsy" as friends and family calls her, whom he had said didn't fit the traits of a traditionally beautiful lead singer. But he changed his mind when Patsy began singing. The president signed them to the label under two conditions: The Ordettes were now the Bluebelles and Patricia "Patsy" Holt would be given a new name - Patti LaBelle. For a woman that didn't have classic beauty traits, the last name meant "beautiful" in French. The name was changed again to Patti LaBelle & the Bluebelles after the manager of the group who had the same name sought to sue.

Success with The Bluebelles

Patti LaBelle and the Bluebelles on the cover of their 1967 album DreamerIn 1962, Patti LaBelle & the Bluebelles scored their first Top 40 pop hit with the release of the doo-wop single, "I Sold My Heart to the Junkman". That same year, they began wowing audiences at New York's legendary Apollo theater later given them the name "The Apollo Sweethearts". Throughout the '60s, Patti LaBelle & the Bluebelles were one of the hottest touring acts on the chitlin' circuit while the hits continued: in 1964, they scored again with songs like "Danny Boy" and "Down the Aisle".

In 1966, the group signed to Atlantic Records and scored what later became Patti's signature song with their version of "Somewhere Over the Rainbow". Around this time, LaBelle was engaged to be married to Temptations member Otis Williams, but the couple called off the engagement because of their conflicting touring schedules. The next year, LaBelle, Dash & Hendryx received a shock when Cindy Birdsong left to join The Supremes, replacing Florence Ballard. LaBelle was so infuriated by this that she refused to talk to Birdsong for the next eighteen years.

Labelle

Labelle, ca. 1975In 1970, Patti and the Bluebelles moved to England, in the United Kingdom, where they met promoter Vicki Wickham, formerly Janis Joplin's promoter. The next year when the girls returned to America, they came out with a different name - simply Labelle - and a new attitude, vocal style, and a new wardrobe. The former "Apollo Sweethearts" were now women. Wearing casual clothing and African adornments, Labelle often sung of racism, sexism and politics. Their sound was not taken by heart from consumers.

In 1974, however, learning of a cult following, the women changed their looks again now adorning space-like, rockish and uniforms, they began to sing about sex, space, politics, and things that many funk and rock bands were singing about at the time -- but with an exception; no female groups had dared up until now to broach this type of controversial material. Their following had grown so much that in October of that year, they were the first African-American contemporary act to perform at the Metropolitan Opera House. That December, they released their greatest record, "Nightbirds", featuring their breakout hit, "Lady Marmalade", which hit #1 on the Hot 100 in 1975, helping "Nightbirds" to go platinum. It was as far as they got as success couldn't ring twice, although their subsequent albums, Phoenix and Chameleon were hailed by music critics as experimental and groundbreaking.

Solo career

1n 1976 during a performance in Baltimore, Nona suffered a nervous breakdown, forcing the band to disband abruptly.[1] LaBelle, now 33, released her self-titled debut in 1977 on Epic Records, where she recorded 3 more albums in the years to come. The debut album became an important hit for Patti at least on the R&B charts and was notable for the stand-out ballad, "You Are My Friend" and for the funker "Joy To Have Your Love", which shows Patti's very own large notes and octane range with a typical Philadelphia Soul orchestrated arrangement with heavy bass. In the next year she released one of her most acclaimed albums, "Tasty", featuring the salsa hit "Teach Me Tonight (Me Gusta Tu Baile)". The next step was the album "It's Alright With Me" featuring the disco classic "Music Is My Way Of Life" and the last album she recorded for Epic was "Released", which did better than the previous one chartwise but didn't generate any important hits nor received the same critical acclaim.

Patti's eponymous solo debut LP, released in 1977.Success was mostly eluding Patti until 1983 when she released her first charted hit album, "I'm In Love Again". The album featured LaBelle's first #1 R&B hit with "If Only You Knew" and a radio hit with "Love, Need & Want You". In 1984, after an eighteen-year estrangement, she reconciled with Cindy Birdsong while she was on stage in Los Angeles. By 1985, LaBelle was on her way to pop stardom after her song, "New Attitude", from the soundtrack of Beverly Hills Cop (1984), peaked at #14 on the pop charts.

By the time of her rise to pop stardom in the mid-1980s, LaBelle was now infamous for her wild hairdos, kicking off her shoes in a "Holy Ghost"-like rage, rolling over the floor while singing, putting the microphone stand down and then yielding it up in the air and choreographing the now-legendary "spread my wings" move that she incorporated during her show-stopping performances of "Over the Rainbow". In 1986, she released her best-selling album to date with "Winner In You". The album yielded her first solo #1, "On My Own" with pop balladeer Michael McDonald, and a Top 20 hit, "Oh People".

By the end of the 1980s, she scored a moderate R&B hit with the Diane Warren ballad, "If You Asked Me To", in 1989, which was later covered by Celine Dion. She entered the 1990s on a high but not without tragedy. That year, she lost her third sister to cancer. Patti's two elder sisters had similar fates, with the oldest dying in 1977 (at the height of LaBelle's success) and the second-eldest dying in 1982. Her brother, father and mother all followed suit dying around the same time making Patti the only living member of her extended family while being the mother of six kids - one born by Patti, three of one of her sisters' children and two adopted and wife of Armstead Edwards (married since 1969), who had become her manager.

LaBelle herself was diagnosed with diabetes in 1994. The songstress is a spokeswoman for the American Diabetes Association, and has published two cookbooks specifically aimed at diabetics, containing low-sugar and low-fat recipes. In 2005, LaBelle began appearing in advertisements for OneTouch Ultra, a manufacturer of blood glucose monitoring systems for diabetics.

In 1991, Patti released the critically-acclaimed, gold selling "Burnin'" album, which helped Patti win her first Grammy Award for Best R&B Female Vocal Performance. That success continued onto subsequent albums like 1994's "Gems" (featuring the hit, "The Right Kinda Lover"), 1997's "Flame" (featuring the hit, "When You Talk About Love"), and 1998's "Live One Night Only" (which won her a second Grammy). In 1993, LaBelle became the first, and so far only, artist to get a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame thanks to a petition by her legion of fans.

In 2000, in a stunning move, she divorced her husband, Armstead. The same year, she released "When A Woman Loves", an album mostly of heartbroken love ballads by Diane Warren. LaBelle's popularity would be heard loud and clear on younger artists' covers of some of LaBelle's legendary songs including "Lady Marmalade" (resung by Christina Aguilera, Lil' Kim, Pink and Mya on the soundtrack of Moulin Rouge!, and which became a #1 hit all over again 26 years after LaBelle's original). She also appeared , though breifly, in a performance of the song at the 2002 Grammy Awards. "Love, Need & Want You" (sampled by rapper Nelly and Destiny's Child member Kelly Rowland in their #1 hit, "Dilemma" and later by Outkast, who later featured LaBelle re-singing parts of the song on their hit, "Ghetto Musick") and "If Only You Knew" (which has been covered by a lot of R&B singers and also sampled by hip-hoppers).

On February 6, 2003, she performed "Way up There" at a memorial service in honour of the astronauts lost in the Space Shuttle Columbia disaster, which was held at the Washington National Cathedral and attended by Vice President Dick Cheney.[2]

In 2004, she released "Timeless Journey", which debuted at #16, making it LaBelle's highest charted album in eighteen years and the album went gold. She scored a modest hit in 2005 with her duet with The Isley Brothers in the song "Gotta Go Solo".

In mid 2005, she released what was believed to be a long-overdue album, featuring tracks made popular by other artists. Patti has been known for singing other peoples' songs in her concerts, and not hiding the fact that she loves those songs. The album, "Classic Moments" featured songs like "I Can't Make You Love Me", "Ain't No Way" (ft. [Mary J Blige]), "I'll Stand By You", "Land of the Living" and "Your Song" (ft. [Elton John]).

While appearing as a guest on the show Martha on December 23, 2005, Patti LaBelle announced that she is reuniting with Labelle. Ms. LaBelle will also be starring in the upcoming film "Preaching to the Choir," which will feature original new music by Patti and the group Labelle.

Her long-awaited gospel CD is scheduled for release in August, 2006.
0 Replies

Tryagain

Reply Wed 24 May, 2006 03:47 pm
Artist: Aerosmith Lyrics
Song: I Don't Wanna Miss A Thing

I could stay awake just to hear you breathing
Watch you smile while you are sleeping
Far away and dreaming
I could spend my life in this sweet surrender
I could stay lost in this moment forever
Well, every moment spent with you
Is a moment I treasure

I don't wanna close my eyes
I don't wanna fall asleep
'Cause I'd miss you, babe
And I don't wanna miss a thing
'Cause even when I dream of you
The sweetest dream will never do
I'd still miss you, babe

Lying close to you
Feeling your heart beating
And I'm wondering what you're dreaming
Wondering if it's me you're seeing
Then I kiss your eyes and thank God we're together
And I just wanna stay with you
In this moment forever, forever and ever

I'd still miss you, babe

I don't wanna miss one smile
I don't wanna miss one kiss
Well, I just wanna be with you
Right here with you, just like this
I just wanna hold you close
Feel your heart so close to mine
And stay here in this moment
For all the rest of time

Don't wanna close my eyes
Don't wanna fall asleep
'Cause I'd still miss you, babe

I'd still miss you, babe

Don't wanna close my eyes
Don't wanna fall asleep, yeah
I don't wanna miss a thing
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Wed 24 May, 2006 03:48 pm
Priscilla Presley

Priscilla PresleyPriscilla Beaulieu Presley (born Priscilla Ann Wagner on May 24, 1945, in Brooklyn, New York) is an American model, author and actress and the only wife of rock 'n' roll singer Elvis Presley.

Her biological father, James Wagner, was a pilot who was killed in a plane crash when Priscilla was just an infant. Her mother, Norwegian-American Anna Lillian Iversen, then married Paul Beaulieu, a United States Air Force officer. Beaulieu took over the raising of Priscilla and is known as her father. The Beaulieus were stationed in West Germany at the same time as Elvis during his stint in the United States Army. Priscilla was 14 years old when she met Elvis in Wiesbaden.

Elvis managed to talk the extremely reluctant Beaulieus into allowing Priscilla to live with his father (Vernon Presley) and stepmother, Dee Presley, at a home Elvis purchased on Heritage Drive in Memphis. The seventeen-year-old Priscilla Beaulieu "worked" on her mother to get her support but before finally agreeing, her still reluctant and protective father flew with her to Los Angeles where Presley was filming Fun in Acapulco. After discussing the "rules," she and her father flew to Memphis where they met with Vernon Presley, made arrangements for Priscilla's enrollment in the Immaculate Conception school and her father confirmed her living arrangements at Vernon Presley's house.

Once living in Memphis in 1962, Priscilla Beaulieu says she moved into Graceland bit by bit, at first spending occasional nights with Presley, later moving in and sleeping together every night. In her 1985 autobiography, the bestseller Elvis and Me, which was later adapted to a television miniseries, Priscilla describes Presley as a very passionate man who was not overtly sexual towards her. Although he would spend hours alone with her in her bedroom, Priscilla wrote that Elvis never made any advances towards her. According to her account (p130), Elvis told her that they had to wait until they were married before having intercourse. He said, "I'm not saying we can't do other things. It's just the actual encounter. I want to save it." Priscilla adds, "Fearful of not pleasing him - of destroying my image as his little girl - I resigned myself to the long wait. Instead of consummating our love in the usual way, he began teaching me other means of pleasing him. We had a strong connection, much of it sexual. The two of us created some exciting and wild times."

A completely different view of Priscilla's life, painting her in a rather negative light and describing her as a "wild child" and "sexpot", can be found in Suzanne Finstad's book, Child Bride: The Untold Story of Priscilla Beaulieu Presley (1997), which is based on accounts of several people who knew Elvis and Priscilla well, among them many friends from Priscilla's childhood and adolescence, Elvis's stepbrother Rick Stanley, Priscilla's boyfriend Mike Edwards, Elvis's ex-girlfriends and the wives of the Memphis Mafia men. The author writes that Priscilla promised sexual favors in exchange for meeting Elvis to Currie Grant, a married, 27-year-old man who knew the singer, that she and Elvis slept together on their second date and that she wasn't a virgin on her wedding night. The book also claims that her marriage was part of a mastermind for fame hatched by Priscilla and her mother and that she never loved Elvis. Finstad takes many quotes that Priscilla has made and calls them a web of lies that she has spun. Priscilla launched a lawsuit against Currie Grant for his claims in the book and won.

In Elvis and Me, Beaulieu recounted how Elvis would stay up all night and sleep most of the day. If he wanted to go out, he would rent out the venue and invite friends, family and fans, or arrange with store owners to shop after hours when the store was closed. She also talked about the prescription sleeping pills that were present from the very first night she spent with him and how their usage and variety escalated dramatically during the years they were together.

Priscilla, Lisa Marie, & Elvis PresleyShe and Presley were married on May 1, 1967 in Las Vegas, Nevada at the Aladdin Hotel, and daughter Lisa Marie was born nine months later on February 1, 1968. They separated in February of 1972 and were divorced in October of 1973. Their divorce provided for mutual custody of Lisa Marie, who lived with Priscilla in Los Angeles, California and with her father at Graceland.

It has been intimated that Elvis was forced into marriage with Priscilla. As part of the original deal made between Elvis and Paul Beaulieu, Elvis must marry Priscilla if she was to live with him. During 1967, Elvis was famously dating Viva Las Vegas co-star Ann-Margret. Mr. Beaulieu threatened Presley and his manager Col. Tom Parker to pull a Jerry Lee Lewis-type of scandal if Elvis did in fact not marry Priscilla, exposing the fact that he had a relationship with his daughter when she was only fourteen years of age. Needless to say, The Colonel arranged a whirlwind wedding at the Aladdin Hotel to insure that negative press about "his boy" never surfaced.

Priscilla is not often credited for a profound business acumen. After Elvis' father's death in 1979, Priscilla served as co-executor of his estate. Graceland itself cost $500,000 a year in upkeep, and expenses had dwindled Lisa Marie's inheritance to $5 million. Priscilla examined other famous house/museums, and hired a CEO to turn Graceland into a moneymaker. She became the chairwoman and president of Elvis Presley Enterprises. After Graceland opened to the public in 1982, the enterprise's fortunes soared and eventually the trust grew to be worth over $100 million.

In addition, in 2000, Priscilla was elected to the board of directors of MGM, with the prime vote coming from Kirk Kerkorian, who dated Priscilla in the 1970s and reportedly wanted to marry her.

After her divorce from Elvis, Priscilla began a boutique and ran it for five years before getting into modeling and acting. After signing with the William Morris Agency, Priscilla made her television debut in 1980 as a co-host of the ABC series Those Amazing Animals with the legendary Burgess Meredith. She went on to portray the lead role of Jenna Wade on the soap opera Dallas from 1983 to 1988 and starred opposite Leslie Nielsen in The Naked Gun gag movie trilogy.

In addition, she starred in the feature film Breakfast with Einstein, executive-produced the feature film Finding Graceland and made guest appearances on Melrose Place, Touched by an Angel and Spin City. The television version of Elvis and Me was produced by her production company, Navarone Productions. As late as 2003, she planned to develop a Broadway musical about her life.

Priscilla developed four perfumes in the 1990s. Two, Moments and Experiences, were very successful in Europe, and a third, Indian Summer, hit American shelves in 1996, followed by "Roses and More".

In 2006, Priscilla flew to Australia for the debut of her worldwide line of bed linens, called the Priscilla Presley Collection. She partnered with Australian designer Bruno Schiavi for the line.

Priscilla lived with Brazilian screenwriter-director Marco Garibaldi since 1984-- he wrote a script that she read, hoping to produce. Their son, Navarone, was born on March 1, 1987. The two separated after 22 years in April 2006. She has lived in the same Beverly Hills mansion since 1974.

Prior to that, Priscilla was involved with Mike Edwards, a model, in the 1970s after her divorce from Elvis. Edwards recounts the tale of their relationship in his book Priscilla, Elvis, and Me. They lived together for seven years.

Priscilla and her daughter had a tempestuous relationship when Lisa was a teenager and using drugs, but theirs has since matured into a smoother, more understanding mother-daughter relationship. Lisa Marie even imitated Priscilla by marrying not the King of Rock 'n' Roll but the "King of Pop, Michael Jackson. Lisa Marie herself now has a daughter, Riley Keough, who models for John Galliano.

Priscilla and Lisa Marie are both Scientologists, introduced to the religion in 1979 by John Travolta. Of the group, Priscilla said in 1996, "You get answers, and that's very different from other religions. It's gotten me back to basics."

Priscilla was awarded an honorary degree from Rhodes College.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 24 May, 2006 03:49 pm
Funny, Arthur. I think our listeners know about the facts of life, honey.

Yes, a little dark, but makes the point. Love it.

and here's a gun with a rose for fun, folks:

Guns N Roses
Song: Rocket queen
Album: Appetite For Destruction
[" Appetite For Destruction " CD]

If I say I don't need anyone
I can say these things to you
'Cause I can turn on anyone
Just like I turned on you
I got a tongue like a razor
A sweet switchblade knife
And I can do you favors
But then you'll do whatever I like

Here I am
And you're a Rocket Queen
I might be a little young
But honey I ain't naive
Here I am
And you're a Rocket Queen, oh yeah
I might be too much
But honey you're a bit obscene

I've seen everything imaginable
Pass before these eyes
I've had everything that's tangible
Honey you'd be surprised
I'm a sexual innuendo
In this burned out paradise
If you turn me on to anything
You better turn me on tonight

Here I am
I might be a little young
But honey I ain't naive
Here I am
I might be too much
But honey you're a bit obscene

I see you standing
Standing on your own
It's such a lonely place for you
For you to be
If you need a shoulder
Or if you need a friend
I'll be here standing
Until the bitter end
No one needs the sorrow
No one needs the pain
I hate to see you
Walking out there
Out in the rain
So don't chastise me
Or think I, I mean you harm
Or those that take you
Leave you strung out
Much too far
Baby, yeah

Don't ever leave me
Say you'll always be there
All I ever wanted
Was for you
To know that I care
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 24 May, 2006 04:03 pm
Well, my goodness. We can't say that our Hawkman is a slacker, can we.

Wikipedia must be up and running. Thanks, Boston, for the Pricilla Presley bio. BIG SMILE.

I know that Lord Ellpus must be in bed by now, but I did want to tell him that I got the same e-mail about our diminishing water supply that he did.

Here's a strange one, folks:

Thirdmoon
Velvet Thorns

The eerie God
Fulgent dust the prelude of the drowning sun
Bloodstained sculptures across amorphous reliefs
The angelic blaze; ancient their silent choirs
Torn apart the pure aorta of apathy
Dissolution of gentle seas, the lost brilliance
Hateshaped the billow of thorns
How should I enthrone my pain
I have no more tears that
embrace my pure parfum
seduced my by mournful gale
the blood will never return
I have no more weeps that
caress the stoned heart
at one with a mournful tear
Artesian well the aphorism in it is deep
Aura of aghast bane the disburden of azure
Diurnal sleep the eerie bloodstained God
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Wed 24 May, 2006 04:19 pm
Rosanne Cash

Rosanne Cash (born May 24, 1955) is an American singer and songwriter. Although she is most often classified as a country artist, her music draws on many genres in addition to country, including folk, pop, rock and roll and blues. She is one of the daughters of Johnny Cash and his first wife, Vivian Liberto Cash Distin, born shortly before the release of her father's first single. In many ways, her career reflects the changes in country music since the birth of the rock and roll era.

Born in 1955 in Memphis, Tennessee, Cash grew up Catholic in southern California, but moved to Nashville after her high school graduation. She worked in her father's road show before setting out on her own. Cash released her first single, a duet with Bobby Bare, in 1979, and two years later had her first country No. 1 (and the biggest hit commercially of her career), "Seven Year Ache" (which also became a top forty pop hit). In 1979 she married Rodney Crowell, who was to produce most of her hit records. Their stormy marriage lasted until 1992; its break-up is chronicled in Cash's Interiors and in Crowell's album Life Is Messy. Cash later married producer John Leventhal, who produced her albums The Wheel (on which many of the songs were also based on her relationship with Crowell) and 10 Song Demo. Although Cash was a prominent country star throughout the '80s, her music was anything but traditional: she topped the charts with songs written not only by herself, but by her father ("Tennessee Flat Top Box"), John Hiatt ("The Way We Make a Broken Heart"), Tom Petty ("Never Be You") and the Beatles ("I Don't Want to Spoil the Party"), as well. "I Don't Know Why You Don't Want Me", which won her a Grammy in 1985, and "It's Such a Small World", a 1987 duet with Crowell on his album Diamonds & Dirt, provided further hits. All of these songs and more are included on the compilation Hits 1979-1989.

Cash has had more than twenty top 40 country singles, including eleven chart-toppers, but nothing since 1990, and she has found it necessary to leave Nashville in both spirit and body to pursue her artistic vision. Although she had recorded all of her hits for Columbia Records' Nashville division, she released 10 Song Demo for the pop division of Capitol. She also released a book of short stories, Bodies of Water, in 1996.

Cash resurfaced in 2003 with Rules of Travel. The album features guest appearances by Sheryl Crow and Steve Earle, as well as a tune penned by Joe Henry and the Wallflowers' Jakob Dylan, another artist who knows about life as the offspring of a legend.

Cash's latest album, entitled Black Cadillac, was released in January of 2006 to high critical acclaim. Much of the album addresses the losses (within a 24-month span) of her step-mother, her father, and then finally her mother on Cash's fiftieth birthday.

Cash was portrayed by Hailey Anne Nelson in the Johnny Cash biopic, Walk the Line.
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Wed 24 May, 2006 04:23 pm
John C. Reilly

John C. ReillyJohn Christopher Reilly (born May 24, 1965 in Chicago, Illinois) is an Academy Award-nominated American actor of Irish descent from the South Side of Chicago. He is a graduate of Brother Rice High School and the Goodman School of Drama at DePaul University. A proud member of the Chicago theater, Reilly credits the Windy City with helping him gain experience as he was working for his big break.

Reilly made his film debut in Casualties of War (1989) and has consistently appeared in often acclaimed supporting roles since then.

His profile as a film actor was significantly raised in 2002 when he appeared in three of the year's Academy Award for Best Picture nominees - Chicago, Gangs of New York and The Hours. He received a nomination for an Academy Award for Best Supporting Actor for his performance as Renée Zellweger's trusting husband in Chicago. He more recently appeared in The Aviator (2004) as Howard Hughes's (Leonardo DiCaprio) trusted financial advisor, Noah Dietrich. Two years earlier Reilly had appeared as a nemesis to DiCaprio's Amsterdam Vallon in Gangs of New York.

Reilly played drums in the comedy rock band, Tenacious D, as "Sasquatch".
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Wed 24 May, 2006 04:31 pm
ONLY IN AMERICA:

Only in America.....do drugstores make the sick walk all the way to the back of the store to get their prescriptions while healthy people can buy cigarettes at the front.

Only in America......do people order double cheeseburgers, large fries, and a diet coke. !

Only in America......do banks leave both doors open and then chain the pens to the counters.

Only in America......do we leave cars worth thousands of dollars in the driveway and put our useless junk in the garage.

Only in America......do we buy hot dogs in packages of ten and buns in packages of eight.

Only in America......do we use the word 'politics' to describe the process so well: 'Poli' in Latin meaning 'many' and 'tics' meaning 'bloodsucking creatures'.

Only in America......do they have drive-up ATM machines with Braille lettering.

EVER WONDER ....

Why the sun lightens our hair, but darkens our skin?

Why women can't put on mascara with their mouth closed? !

Why don't you ever see the headline "Psychic Wins Lottery"?

Why is "abbreviated" such a long word?

Why is it that doctors call what they do "practice"?

Why is lemon juice made with artificial flavor, and dishwashing liquid made with real lemons?

Why is the man who invests all your money called a broker?

Why is the time of day with the slowest traffic called rush hour?

Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?

Why didn't Noah swat those two mosquitoes?

Why do they sterilize the needle for lethal injections?

You know that indestructible black box that is used on airplanes? Why don't they make the whole plane out of that stuff?!

Why don't sheep shrink when it rains?

Why are they called apartments when they are all stuck together?

If con is the opposite of pro, is Congress the opposite of progress?

If flying is so safe, why do they call the airport the terminal?
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 24 May, 2006 04:54 pm
I swear, folks, Bob reminds me of a postman. Love your funnies, honies.

Neither dark of night, etc.

For our diligent Bob.

The Marvelettes Lyrics

Please Mr. Postman
The Marvelettes

(Stop)
Oh yes, wait a minute Mister Postman
(Wait)
Wait Mister Postman

Please Mister Postman, look and see
(Oh yeah)
If there's a letter in your bag for me
(Please, Please Mister Postman)
Why's it takin' such a long time
(Oh yeah)
For me to hear from that boy of mine

There must be some word today
From my boyfriend so far away
Pleas Mister Postman, look and see
If there's a letter, a letter for me

I've been standin' here waitin' Mister Postman
So patiently
For just a card, or just a letter
Sayin' he's returnin' home to me

(Mister Postman)
Mister Postman, look and see
(Oh yeah)
(Oh yeah)
For me to hear from that boy of mine

So many days you passed me by
See the tears standin' in my eyes
You didn't stop to make me feel better
By leavin' me a card or a letter

(Mister Postman)
(Oh yeah)

(Why don't you check it and see one more time for me, you gotta)
Wait a minute
Wait a minute
Wait a minute
Wait a minute
(Mister Postman)

(C'mon deliver the letter, the sooner the better)
Mister Postman
0 Replies

tin sword arthur

Reply Wed 24 May, 2006 05:04 pm
In honor of the giant list of questions, a very lovely song I ran across today.

Question
The Moody Blues (written by Justin Hayward)

Why do we never get an answer
When we're knocking at the door
With a thousand million questions
About hate and death and war?
'Cos when we stop and look around us,
There is nothing that we need,
In a world of persecution
That is burning in its greed.

Because the truth is hard to swallow
That's what the war of love is for

It's not the way that you say it
When you do those things to me
It's more the way that you mean it
When you tell me what will be

And when you stop and think about it
You won't believe it's true
That all the love you've been giving
Has all been meant for you.

I'm looking for someone to change my life,
I'm looking for a miracle in my life
And if you could see what it's done to me,
To lose the love I knew
Could safely lead me through.

Between the silence of the mountains,
And the crashing of the sea,
There lies a land I once lived in,
And she's waiting there for me,
But in the grey of the morning,
My mind becomes confused,
Between the dead and the sleeping,
And the road that I must choose.

I'm looking for someone to change my life,
I'm looking for a miracle in my life
And if you could see what it's done to me,
To lose the love I knew,
Could safely lead me to
The land that I once knew,
To learn as we grow old
The secrets of our soul.

It's not the way that you say it
When you do those things to me
It's more the way you really mean it
When you tell me what will be

With a thousand million questions
About hate and death and war?
'Cos when we stop and look around us,
There is nothing that we need,
In a world of persecution
That is burning in its greed.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 24 May, 2006 05:11 pm
Wow! Arthur, that was heavy, buddy. Be careful what you say, 'cause who knows who is buggin' our studio and our phones. They may take you downtown for questioning. <smile>

Eric Clapton
» Third Degree

Got me accused of peeping, I can't see a thing.
Got me accused of petting, I can't even raise my hand.
Bad luck, bad luck is killing me.
Well I just can't stand no more of this third degree.
Got me accused of murder, I ain't harmed a man.
Got me accused of forgery, I can't even write my name.
Chorus
Got me accused of taxes, I ain't got a dime.
Got me accused of children, and ain't nary one of them was mine.
Chorus
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 24 May, 2006 07:34 pm
Goodnight, to all of my dear friends here.

Letty hope to sleep on clouds of sweet memories:

http://mail.bris.ac.uk/~lijeh/flignap.jpg
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Wed 24 May, 2006 08:53 pm
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 25 May, 2006 05:26 am
Good morning, WA2K listeners and contributors.

Bob, that was a wonderful dream song, buddy. Thank you. It must have worked, because I slept rather well considering that I watched the REAL story of Dracula. Very interesting, actually.

Well, in America, we will observe Memorial Day ere long. Somehow, I always think of the poem "In Flanders Field."

Coffee time!
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Thu 25 May, 2006 05:35 am
Today is holiday in France, but not Memorial Day. Anyway...

IN FLANDERS FIELDS the poppies blow
Between the crosses row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.

Lieutenant Colonel John McCrae, MD (1872-1918)
Canadian Army
0 Replies