could this happen to earth ??

Reply Tue 26 Oct, 2004 12:45 pm
hey everyone ....

well...i found it !! i told u i would..i just needed some time for my research thats alll...and now since school had started...i have less free time ...anyways....here's the cheese :

last time..i worte a topic (( My FiRsT ToPiC ))....mostly it talked abt islam ... and then everyone was askin abt (( the sun would rise from the west )) part...and they asked me for a prove or somthin... and i said i'ld get one...u see...i dont just say anythin... I KNOW WHAT I SAY !!

so ...here's the butter :p :

source : www.space.com

For the past few weeks, Mars has appeared to slow in its eastward trajectory, almost seeming to waver, as if it had become uncertain.

On Wednesday, July 30, that steady eastward course will come to a stop. Then, for the next two months, the planet will move backward against the star background - toward the west. On Sept. 29 it will pause again before resuming its normal eastward direction.

All the planets exhibit retrograde motion at one time or another. Ancient astronomers were unable to come up with a satisfactory explanation for it. The motion is tricky. For one thing, while behaving in this strange manner, Mars will also appear to deviate somewhat from its normal course; the retrograde motion will appear to bring it a little below its regular orbital track.

for those who need more information or anythin ... here's the link ::

http://www.space.com/spacewatch/mars_retrograde_030725.html

(( if it doesnt work .... use the COPY ...PASTE...static :p ))

im waitin for questions....:p

chaws for now
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,285 • Replies: 16
No top replies

CoastalRat

Reply Tue 26 Oct, 2004 01:35 pm
Ok, let me try to explain this to you again. The sun cannot appear to rise from the west due to movement by a planet around the sun. The sun rises from the east due to the rotation of a planet, not its orbit. For the sun to rise from the west, the earth's rotation would have to reverse, not its orbit.

Please try to get the science right before you claim you have proof of something. The article you quoted proves nothing about the sun rising from the west.
0 Replies

o0memyselfandi0o

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2004 06:12 am
this may not mean anythin 2 u...but it does 2 others.. .

and this isn't from air ... it have been studied ... and it does mean somthin .. -_-

is it like that , the solar system will stay like this...for like...4ever !! ...i dont think so

well....what happend to mars...may happen to earth u know .. if u have read the whole thing..and understood..and imagined -_-

CANT ANYTHIN DIFFERENT HAPPEN IN UR LIFE !!

and anywayz...try to prove me wrong....like u do 2 everyone else.... u cant... keep tryin ...
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2004 10:19 am
I am not trying to prove you wrong. Your ignorance of science has done that for you. The article you point to talks about a planet appearing to move backwards in relation to the background stars. Even if the planet (Mars) really was moving backward, and even if the earth began to move in the opposite direction in its orbit around the sun, it would not affect the sun rise being from the east. That is affected by the rotation of the earth on it axis. Your article does not address that.

I don't know how old you are, but if you go to any science teacher, he/she will tell you the same thing. No scientist is currently or has ever said (to my knowledge) that it is possible scientifically for the earth to reverse its axial rotation so that the sun would rise from the west.

As far as trying to prove you wrong like I do everyone else, I am not here trying to prove your faith in the Koran as wrong (even though I believe it is), I am simply proving that your article you say supports your position does not do so. Your faith is your personal business and you may choose to believe anything you want. Just don't come here trying to prove something as happening with an article that does no such thing. Use your brain and read what you referenced.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2004 10:27 am
Islam in general is ignorant of science, unless it makes something that goes BOOM!
0 Replies

dauer

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2004 10:49 am
cj, isn't that a little unfair?

We can thank Muslim scholars for many mathematical innovations, like al-jabra and their science as well has been strong in the past. Currently though, I guess they have been heading backwards in certain parts of the world, had been heading backwards too. I just want to give credit where it's due.
0 Replies

Cyanure

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2004 08:31 am
Quote:
Islam in general is ignorant of science, unless it makes something that goes BOOM!

The most cheapest running forward answer Laughing

Excellent job o0memyselfandi0o, but do not exhaust your self arguing with such people, you are arguing with people as Jesus said about them in the NT:
But he answered and said, It is not meet to take the children's bread, and to cast it to dogs. [Matthew 15:26]
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Fri 29 Oct, 2004 11:47 am
You two are really funny. I am not nor have I attacked your religion or your faith in your religion. I believe your faith is misguided, but I would never attack it.

What I have done is point out the fallacy in what you are trying to prove. A statement was made that scientists today have proof that the sun may one day rise from the west. On that earlier thread, I asked for proof that scientists said this. The article provided here as proof does not prove that any scientist has even hinted that the sun could suddenly rise from the west. READ THE ARTICLE!!!

It states only that Mars will APPEAR to move backward (in its orbit around the sun) from the earth's perspective because as we pass Mars in our orbit we are moving faster than Mars is, thus it will APPEAR that Mars has reversed its orbit. EVEN if Mars really did reverse its orbit (thus proving to you I guess that earth could reverse its orbit around the sun) the sun still would not rise from the west because it makes no difference which direction we orbit the sun. The sun rises above the eastern horizon because of a planets rotation on its axis. The article says nothing about any planet reversing its rotation.

I don't care if you wish to continue to believe that the sun will one day rise from the west. If that is part of your faith, then that is fine by me. Just don't tell me that scientists today claim it will someday happen without some proof that some reputable scientist said it. What you have thus far provided is not proof.
0 Replies

o0memyselfandi0o

Reply Mon 1 Nov, 2004 07:01 am
Thanx for passin by everyone Smile

anywayz...i was just makin an argue....

and by the way .....
im 14

and im not muslim :p

thanx again..:p
0 Replies

quarrah28

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2004 08:11 pm
This is an article i read and was sent to me so take a look
This is for you costalrat

Maybe you can look more into this person who stated this:

Joe Rao serves as an instructor and guest lecturer at New York's Hayden Planetarium. He writes about astronomy for The New York Times and other publications, and he is also an on-camera meteorologist for News 12 Westchester, New York.

Sun rising in the West

The scientist of astronomy state that the speed of planet Mars has been decreasing in its course toward the eastern direction in the past few weeks to the level we notice the "waver" between the east and the west, and on Wednesday the 30th of July the planet's movement stopped going toward the eastern direction.

Then in the months of August and September, Mars changed its course in the opposite direction to the West - and that until the end of September, which means the sun will now rise from the west on Mars!! And this weird phenomenon of the opposite movement is called "Retrograde Motion." Most scientists state that all the planets will go through the same phenomenon at least once, and our planet Earth is one of them. Planet Earth will move in the opposite direction some day and the sun will rise from the west!!
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 12:50 pm
Thanks for giving me this info. So where did this info come from? Not that I doubt you, but I think you are confused about retrograde movement.

Here is the link to an applet that demonstrates retrograde motion as it relates to Mars (and other planets).

http://www.astro.uiuc.edu/projects/data/Retrograde/

Here is another explanation of retrograde motion.

www.scienceu.com/observatory/articles/retro/retro.html

Regardless of what you claim Mr. Rao has written, it appears to me that retrograde motion will never make the sun rise from the west. Why? Because retrograde motion is the apparent movement backwards of a planet (in respect to the background stars). For the sun to rise from the west, a planet must reverse its rotation, not its orbit!!!

So please, if you are going to quote Mr. Rao, I would like to see or know where the quote is from so I may check it out. Because I cannot believe that he is stupid enough to believe that the sun will rise from the west because of a reversal of the earth's orbit around the sun, which is what you appear to be claiming he said (or wrote).

I am not trying to be difficult, really I am not. I did a google on Mr. Rao and nowhere can I find anything he wrote or said to back up what you have given me here. So please, help me out if you can.
0 Replies

o0memyselfandi0o

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2004 01:55 am
thx yo !

see i may know stuff....but dont leave me alone :p
0 Replies

Ghostcat

Reply Tue 16 Nov, 2004 05:17 pm
Hey there!

I think maybe the confusion lies in the phrasing.

Retrograde Motion of Mars is the APPARENT, not the ACTUAL backward movement of the planet. It LOOKS like it moves backwards because of
Earths relative position and speed to Mars, compared to Mars actual speed and orbit.

There is seeming backward movement of the planet from our perspective, but its not actually moving backwards.

For a planet to go against its current orbit, or even just its own daily spin, there would have to be a huge gravitational adjustment to our solar system or moon. The change would be so devastating that if it were to happen, nobody would live to tell about it.

So why argue about it if its never going to happen, or if its going to happen and we'll all be dead and wont care if its happened?
0 Replies

KSAADEH

Reply Wed 24 Nov, 2004 10:36 pm
Re: could this happen to earth ??
Hi Every Body,

Newbie, I am sure about that, one day that will happene to all other planets, it's happened now for all far planets start from the farest tell to Mars, not onle Qur'an said that before more than 1400 years also the scientist said that it will happened to all planets.

and about Qur'an, there is so many Scientific Miracles in the Holy Qur'an, it was there before more than 1400 years and they just prove it in last 30 years and if any body like to know more about that go to:

http://www.islam-guide.com/

If you need any another information from me maybe i can help you.

Regards Smile
0 Replies

Rational-Muslim

Reply Sun 19 Dec, 2004 09:51 pm
Re: could this happen to earth ??
o0memyselfandi0o wrote:
hey everyone ....
Exclamation Please read carefully
the "retrograde motion of Mars " refers to an apparent backward movement of Mars from west to east when viewd from earth due to difference in the speed of the Earth & Mars in their revolutions around the sun. IT DOES NOT IN ANY WAY PROVE THE PROPHECY OF SUN RISING FROM THE WEST .(see full explanation at http://www.space.com/spacewatch/mars_retrograde_030725.html)
I am a staunch Muslim having a very firm belief in the truthfulness of Islam, the only religion with a scripture still present in it original text, which is the latest & last edition of God's message for humanity till the end of time. Quran has many miracles in its pages (go to http://www.hyahya.org/index.php to read about some).
I must caution you & other young enthusiastic Muslims not to get carried away by unusual statements to prove truthfulness of Islam, you may do more harm than good. Yes Quran does invite us to study the heaven & earth to see "Aayaats" (Signs) of Allah but one must remember that an essential component of "Iemaan" (our belief in Islam) is "Iemaan Bilghaib" (Belief on the unseen) & this will always remain an essential part, The Hadiths about the sun rising from the west are true (part of our belief on the unseen) but when this happens the "unseen" will have revealed itself & from than onwards no ones "Tawba" (repentance) will be accepted, that is if somebody converts to Islam after he/she has seen this sign than his/her "Iemaan" (belief) will be no good.
The main thrust of our "Daawah" should be by example of an honest & practicing Muslim highlighting & practicing the glorious divine principals given in Quran & Sunnah. One can quote the many miracles of Quran like the description of scientific facts long before they were discovered by modern science & presentation of the "Charter of human rights" by our prophet MPUH in his last sermon at Hajj long before "Declaration of human rights" by any other man, but acceptance of Islam as true religion will always have to come from the "heart" of the person rather than the "mind". May Allah guide us all on the right path, Aameen.
0 Replies

Einherjar

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2004 12:01 am
Welcome to all newcomers.

Retrograde motion:

Code:
E1 (The earth moves forwards ->) E2
. .
. .
M1 (Mars moves forwards ->) M2
. .
. .
. .
. .
. .
. .
. .
. .
. .
. .
. .
. .
. .
. .
. .
. .
. .
. .
. .
. .
(M2) S S S (M1)

(In relation to the stars Mars appares to move backwards. In reality it does no such thing.)

The same phenomenon occurs when one overtakes other cars on the freeway, the other cart appares to move backwards when viewed against the backdrop of far away mountains.

Welcome by the way to Rational-Muslim and all other new posters.
0 Replies

theantibuddha

Reply Thu 27 Jan, 2005 02:46 pm
CoastalRat wrote:
No scientist is currently or has ever said (to my knowledge) that it is possible scientifically for the earth to reverse its axial rotation so that the sun would rise from the west.

As far as trying to prove you wrong like I do everyone else, I am not here trying to prove your faith in the Koran as wrong (even though I believe it is), I am simply proving that your article you say supports your position does not do so.

I agree with you rat, the article in question doesn't prove anything related to the sun rising in the west. However it did get me speculating, (just as random thoughts here) what would cause the sun to rise in the west. The earth will slow down due to the tidal effects of the moon, yet that will stop as soon as the moon and earth lock rotations. The sun will continue to rise in the east, it'll just do it every 28 days instead of every 1 day.

In fact short of some massive foreign object entering our solar system, I can't think of anything around that could make our sun physical "rise" in the west. However if the magnetic field reversed as some theories suggest then we would have to decide whether the north pole is now the south pole and if we did change then the sun would... sort of... rise in the west.

However human nature would suggest that people would simply bring out new compasses tuned the opposite way, anything else would be waaaay too much effort.

Nope. Try as I might I can't think of a scientific explanation for the sun rising in the west.
0 Replies