Could someone help identify, gold or pyrite?

Reply Tue 27 Dec, 2016 08:10 am
I found this near an old mine near my house, Anyone got any idea what it could be it was found near pyrite but looks like gold to me.

Any help grearfuly welcomed.

http://imgur.com/a/FjogA
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 2,568 • Replies: 7
No top replies

rosborne979

Reply Tue 27 Dec, 2016 11:18 am
@Busmoose,
It looks more like gold than pyrite to me.
farmerman

Reply Tue 27 Dec, 2016 03:40 pm
@rosborne979,
not enough really clear information. Hold a small torch flame onto one of the yellowish pot, then describe the odor given off.

relax, its a standard test. or do a "streak" test by rubbing the yellowish stuff against a piece of unglazed porcelain (like the bottom of a tile), and describe the color.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 27 Dec, 2016 04:03 pm
http://shikhazuri.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/Gold-vs-Pyrite.jpg
farmerman

Reply Tue 27 Dec, 2016 04:48 pm
@edgarblythe,
thats only one kind of pyrite on thr right, arsenopyrite or plain iron nickel pyrite. .
What I think is shown on the OP specimen is a "chalcopyrite or bornite" which are often called "peacock ores " that have fooled many savvy prospectors.

Some pyrites are darker (gold colored) nd massive (they occupy the veins in the quartz because it was deposited with a "hot water" . They dont show obvious crystals like the pic you posted.

farmerman

Reply Tue 27 Dec, 2016 05:06 pm
@farmerman,
This is also pyrite. Its a type pf chalcopyrite that closely resembles gold. ACTUALLY, pyrite , in the biggest US deposits , contains q mineable amount of gold in the Crystal lattice. Its called q "defect lqttice deposit". Some of the biggest deposits
South Carolina Gold Fields, Cripple Creek, Cornwall Mines, etc had ALL their sizeable gold ores contained within the pyrite.
Gold is tricky and some prospectors spend years and years before they cqn be considered really competent to distinguish gold ore in the field. This is my 40th year in the business and I still keep two consultants on call to assess any potential gold plays . My uncle Stosh, who strted me in geology from my summer prospecting trips with him and his jeep. He too kept an old prospector (Who hqd no rel education) on cll to look over and do field assys of gold dumps (Stosh used to buy up old mine dumps in New Mexico an Arizona and hed sell the ore to several reclaim houses)> Uncle Stosh died a multimillionaire from being careful and thorough.
he would go through maybe 100 samples of a pyrite find jut to develop a percent assay of gold ore in pyrite and silver sulfide . ANything qbove 2% ore was worth maybe 50$ a ton in those days (gold was worth about 75$ an oz when I was a teenager).

https://ec89800b15d91130329a-4253e8b1564fd6da7d45e99fa0be70ae.ssl.cf1.rackcdn.com/uploads/content/content_1362117962.jpg
ossobucotemp

Reply Tue 27 Dec, 2016 06:54 pm
@farmerman,
Terrific post, not to flatter you but just because it is so interesting. Nods for Uncle Stosh.

My uncle that I wish I had really known, was not a professional in all this rock stuff but was involved. I still have his tool chest (he was head of tool and dye at Douglas, all of Douglas) for years, died just after whatever plane it was was finished, maybe a day after. I'm remembering '44 or '45. The head of Douglas came to my aunt's house for a condolence visit. It was a heart attack; he'd had some trials in life, being gassed in ww1. My aunt talked about that visit for years and years later.

Charlie Wilson is the one who I have mentioned teaching me to make ice cream (I think peach) with some kind of cranking apparatus on their back steps when they were staying in, I am thinking, Wichita, not sure. I was about 4, but I heard about it later. I visually remember him and the back steps, I was to his left.

He did go exploring a lot, and I don't know details. I have at least some of his rock collection, I am guessing in the ordinary realm but I still treasure them. What is a sure treasure is his personal tool chest, which he may or may not have built sans plans from other sources.. It is still here with the tools, in their places.

Hey, if it is ever missing from my garage, I can guess perpetrators.
farmerman

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2016 06:04 am
@ossobucotemp,
I have all of uncle Stoah' equipment including his old stereo petrographic microscope. (I used it during my chemistry years because its would allow me to analyze precipitate cryystals by their stereo images n extinction angles. I had a leg up on many students who had NO CLUE that stereo optics was an important part of chemistry in past years.

Ive got Stosh's "U NM" ball cap .(He taught there and at several other mine schools Mines).

Ive got an 12.5 oz solid 23.2K gold nugget from a placer deposit in Alaska . It was part of Stosh' personal collection (which I also have inherited). Its going to go to the Smithsonian on my death as part of Stosh and my collections) Its so old that we have a letter from Dr Sinkankas(he died in the 90's I think) accepting the nugget as a "deed of gift"

Stosh hd but 3 living relatives, my father , my mom, and me, qnd I was adamant about wanting his stuff and collections.

0 Replies