Quotation marks for terminology

Nat093

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2017 09:47 am
I would like to ask you for advice. Would you be so kind as to tell me if I used quotations marks properly in the following passage?

Example 1:
"Linguists (e.g. Bauer, 1983; Szymanek, 1998; Booij, 2005; Haspelmath and Sims, 2010; Miller, 2014) generally provide similar definitions for ‘compounding’ (sometimes also called composition) as a process whereby two or more lexical items (including nouns, adjectives, verbs, and prepositions) are combined to form a new complex word. The result of this process is traditionally referred to as a compound. "

Or perhaps I should put the word compound in quotes?, as in:

Example 2:
"Linguists (e.g. Bauer, 1983; Szymanek, 1998; Booij, 2005; Haspelmath and Sims, 2010; Miller, 2014) generally provide similar definitions for ‘compounding’ (sometimes also called composition) as a process whereby two or more lexical items (including nouns, adjectives, verbs, and prepositions) are combined to form a new complex word. The result of this process is traditionally referred to as a 'compound'. "

Can you tell me please which of the options seems better to you?
0 Replies