Morphology ; Words Analysis.

Reply Sat 2 May, 2015 03:46 am
I am studying morphology, and I have to analyse these words 'outernet', 'frenemies', and 'gran-lit'. Thus, could you check these 3 words, please?
I still confuse in the last word 'gran'lit', so I am not finished this word. Thanks.

1. Outernet
Outernet is a singular noun. The definition of outernet is the traditional media
(newspapers, magazines, radio, television) as opposed to the internet. This lexeme has 3 morphemes ‘out-’, ‘-er’ , and ‘-net’. In addition, this lexeme compose of 1 bound morpheme ‘-er’, and 2 free morphemes ‘out’ and ‘net’. Outernet is made up of the root ‘net’, a prefix ‘out-’, and an infix ‘-er’.The ‘out’ and ‘er’ of this base are affixes which are inflectional bound morphemes.

2. Frenemies
Frenemies is a plural noun. This lexeme blended of 2 words ‘friend’ and ‘enemy’. The definition of frenemies is an enemy who pretends to be your friend. This lexeme has 2 morphemes ‘frenem(ies)’ and ‘-ies’ which are bound morphemes. Frenemies is made up of the root ‘frenem(y)’, and a suffix ‘-ies’. The suffix ‘-ies’ is an inflectional bound morpheme.

3. Gran-lit
Gran-lit is a singular noun. The definition of gran-lit is the books that appeal
more to older people. This lexeme has 1 morpheme ‘gran-lit’. Moreover, the word ‘gran’ came from ‘granny’, and the word ‘lit’ came from ‘literature’. Thus, the word ‘grand lit’ compose of 2 free morphemes.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 2,785 • Replies: 3
No top replies

neologist

Reply Sat 2 May, 2015 03:31 pm
@Wannaris,
I am puzzled by the navel gazing scrutiny involved in neology. Words are an art form before almost anything else.

What constitutes art?

Its ability to reach the beholder. It either works or it does not.

Sorry if I haven't helped. I had to vent.
layman

Reply Sat 2 May, 2015 03:37 pm
@neologist,
Where's Dubya when ya need his ass, eh?
neologist

Reply Sat 2 May, 2015 03:47 pm
@layman,
Heh!
And why isn't a frenemy a friendyadon'tneed?
0 Replies