Victim Blaming when women are assaulted

vikorr

Reply Thu 4 Aug, 2016 04:04 pm
http://www.couriermail.com.au/lifestyle/health/a-woman-is-murdered-while-running-at-night-and-now-people-are-blaming-the-victim/news-story/3227c17ad145029885f09ddf1317b4c8

Quote:
A woman is murdered while running at night, and now people are blaming the victim

Simone Mitchell, news.com.au

T’S not OK to blame the victim when a woman is assaulted.

It’s not OK to put the onus on the female and say that she should have been more careful, or she shouldn’t have drunk so much, or worn a short skirt when she headed out for the evening.

It should be the man’s responsibility not to assault the female.

Some of the comments about the New York woman who was killed while she was out on her evening run have put this issue of victim blaming in the spotlight, yet again.

Karina Vetrano, 30, was reported missing by her father when she didn’t return from her regular evening run. Her body was later found in a “weeded area” that her father had told her not to run near, as he didn’t believe it was safe.

It appears she was strangled, and her running pants were found pulled halfway down her legs.

Many people seem to think that Vetrano should have been more careful. She shouldn’t have run at night. She shouldn’t have run in the area that her father warned her about. Someone even mentioned that she was vulnerable as she was wearing “tight clothing” (what exactly was she meant to run in ... a boiler suit?)

Here are some examples of the comments that are floating around on social media.

http://cdn.newsapi.com.au/image/v1/667da30bd9335cabcf2e0a0560f879cb?width=650
http://cdn.newsapi.com.au/image/v1/b0d4a774aba45dcc14a17380a3f54fa1?width=650
http://cdn.newsapi.com.au/image/v1/fc8700d6ac43b5e7d14e582e0096cb1e?width=650

The bottom line is, women should be able to run at night and feel safe.

Nike has addressed the fact that millions of women across the world are too scared to jog alone at night with their “We Own the Night” initiative.

Sarah Crouch is a fan of jogging at night. She’s written about it at length on the Runners Connect website and says that while women should be able to run wherever they like, whenever they like wearing whatever they like, the sad reality is that female runners need to be mindful of their safety.

“I’ve heard it a million times, mostly from my mother: ‘Never run alone, it’s a scary world out there for a woman, always carry pepper spray with you,’” she says.

“On one hand, I resent this advice, because I feel that it takes feminism back 50 years, telling me I can’t go running by myself without a big strong protector (or a tiny painful protector in a can), and I want to be free to listen to the sound of my feet hitting a dark city street or feel the wind in my hair as I cruise alone down a secluded wooded path.

“On the other hand, I want to live to enjoy running at a nice old age.

“How do we find that balance as women? How do we keep the wonderful independence that we’ve found in running but stay safe at the same time?

“Ladies, I’m not asking you to be frail and helpless, I’m asking you to be sensible.”
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,518 • Replies: 13
No top replies

vikorr

Reply Thu 4 Aug, 2016 05:03 pm
First of all, please let me express what a tragedy I find this sort of story to be. No one should ever end up murdered like this woman was.

--------------------------------------------------------------

The reason I posted this though - was the gist of the story, which is an idea, promoted by the media, that can lead to a hazardous disassociation between a persons rights, and reality.

There are some neighbourhoods in some cities where it is dangerous for (one of the following depending on the neighbourhood) people to go, especially by themselves:
- a wealthy person to go
- police to go
- white people to go
- black people to go
- it is dangerous to walk alone at night

This is just reality in some areas. Men, women, police, people of particular colour, all (usually) acknowledge this reality.

Meanwhile, the right of every single person, is to be safe wherever they choose to go. In this situation however, The reality (not being safe), and the persons rights (being safe), do not match up.

Ingoring the reality will make us less safe, regardless of our rights. This, is reality.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
So when any person, male, female, police etc consider entering an area they consider dangerous, they adopt behaviours to make themselves safer, including:
- going with multiple people
- going at a particular time of day
- staying for the shortest time possible
- etc
This behaviour is completely contrary to their right to be safe, but completely in line with reality.

This is the principle that it seems most people were commenting on in the news article.
--------------------------------------------------------------

The issue in the above article, and some of the social media posts, is that people saying this is victim blaming (and sometimes it is) as a blanket response to criticism, are implying that a persons rights to safety & reality, are one and the same - they aren't.

When such an idea is promoted enough in the media, it can lead to people putting themselves in unsafe situations...or not considering their safety when they make choices.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Also, there is a vast difference between blame (which I don't think should exist), and:
- holding people responsible for their own decisions, while
- acknowledging contributing circumstances.

Once we acknowledge / understand contributing factors, we make choices how to make ourselves safer.

When we blame, don't acknowledge/understand contributing factors, and treat our rights as reality...we can make choices that make ourselves less safe.

The perp needs to go to prison. The family of the victim need consoling / support, and we shouldn't be looking to blame (rather, hold the perp responsible & send him to prison), nor should we be promote ignoring reality...we should be promoting safety consciousness.

These are emotive issues, because we naturally want someone to blame. And we can hold someone responsible (and send them to prison), even while promoting safety consciousness. They aren't polar opposites.
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2016 03:43 pm
Interesting reader comment (after article) along the same lines - in a related article.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/rendezview/karina-vetrano-did-nothing-wrong-but-for-a-moment-i-blamed-her/news-story/6e5a48ff53fe054101c49da158069d90

Quote:
Rob 1 hour ago
Everyone has a right to be safe. But that doesn't change the fact that none of us are completely safe. Every year in Australia, 250,000 years of potential life are lost to external causes (ABS 3303.0)

The question for the author is this: if you are jogging in an unfamiliar city and approach an area that looks dodgy, are you going to avoid that area, or are you going to assert your right to be safe and carry on regardless?

If you did the latter and were killed, its pretty clear that its the killers fault. But the relevant question is, is there something we can learn from the consequences of your decisions? And asking that question is not to blame you for the outcome or to exculpate the killer. Indeed we should always ask that question because, given that its an unsafe world we live in, taking responsibility for our own safety is an important survival strategy. Ever heard of 'defensive driving'? - its based on the idea of recognising you are surrounded by risks outside of your control and taking that into account might save your life.

Trying to prevent people from asking those questions on the grounds that it's somehow victim blaming is to deny others the opportunity to learn from the misfortune of victims. And that is nothing short of irresponsible.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2016 05:41 pm
@vikorr,
Isn't this cherry picking a single story to make a tortured point that doesn't need to be made.

There are millions of men and women who run at night without getting killed. If you look at the actual statistics from the Bureau of Justice, random attacks on women are pretty low. I believe a man is more likely to be killed by a stranger than a woman.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-iy5afRqokjQ/VZ-gHTU5-CI/AAAAAAAAAfI/zfA9G0mB03o/s1600/rate_of_violent_crime.jpg

source: http://www.bjs.gov/content/pub/pdf/vvcs9310.pdf

If there is a story here is about gender it is this. Why are women portrayed as being in danger when in fact (in the US at least) they are not.

vikorr

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2016 06:39 pm
@maxdancona,
Quote:
Isn't this cherry picking a single story to make a tortured point that doesn't need to be made.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victim_blaming

There are books, an entire field of study (called victimology) devoted to it, organisations dedicated to stopping it, and I just typed into google 'victim blaming' and stopped at page 18 with dedicated posts to this subject.

The posts I linked, were two different stories, in the same newspaper, on the same subject. Obviously, it's a source of interest to people - or there wouldn't be a second story, specifically on victim blaming.

My point was simple - make sure that victim blaming is actually victim blaming, and that your behaviour in trying to reduce victim blaming, doesn't actually lead people to not consider behaviours that make themself safer.

Quote:
If there is a story here is about gender it is this. Why are women portrayed as being in danger when in fact (in the US at least) they are not.
A fair enough observation. My guess is - because we as a society wish to protect the vulnerable.
maxdancona

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2016 06:48 pm
@vikorr,
Quote:
My guess is - because we as a society wish to protect the vulnerable.

You miss the point. Men are more likely to be assaulted or killed by strangers then women. Why do you say it is women who are vulnerable?
vikorr

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2016 06:51 pm
@maxdancona,
Not at all - I've made the point myself that crime statistics show men are much more likely to be assaulted by a stranger than women (last I heard it was about 85% male victims).

The issue of course, is about perception, which doesn't necessarily have much to do with statistics. And it's also about size/strength differences.
roger

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2016 06:55 pm
@vikorr,
Well yeah. Shark attacks and lightening strikes still get more publicity than auto accidents.
vikorr

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2016 07:00 pm
@roger,
That they do. Rarer, and much more dramatic.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2016 07:18 pm
@vikorr,
Costa Rica sends out missing children notifications by SMS to every phone in the country, and they used to link to the agency's facebook page with photos of the missing child and the comments were always full of idiotic victim blaming, saying things like the fact that a 13-year old is wearing makeup is probably to blame for her abduction etc, "where are the parents?" and blaming abductions on kids growing up too fast these days.

People who post that are probably not being mean spirited and may have genuine concern for the victims but the victim blaming was just ridiculously prevalent. I spent a bit of time refuting them and pointing out the cruelty of posting these random speculations about the parenting of the missing child on a post trying to find the child and kept it up till they quit linking to Facebook altogether and started putting up the photos on their site, without the comments.

I can't stand that kind of thinking, even though I understand and sympathize with some of the motivations behind it.
vikorr

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2016 07:33 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Yep, I agree that victim blaming can be quite prevalent.

In my own workplace, when we had 3 young aboriginal children (8-10yrs) hit by a train (story here), people were also asking 'where were the parents'. While they were quite young, I found myself to be one of the few saying 'hold on a moment, parents need to give their children some responsibility and freedom in order for them to grow and learn'...then again - I came from a childhood where I grew up in a smallish town (120k), had a bicycle, rode kilometres to school, and was allowed my freedom to ride around as well. These comments came from people who had grown up in large cities.

My point was never that victim blaming isn't a problem (and to me, it's a worse problem when victims of domestic violence blame themselves)

0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2016 08:09 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Quote:
I can't stand that kind of thinking, even though I understand and sympathize with some of the motivations behind it.

It is not that simple Robert. What do you do in cases where "victim blaming" actually works to lower the amount of crime?

The only rape prevention program that has been shown scientifically to actually reduce the prevalence of rape on college campuses is targeted toward teaching women how to not be raped. (see https://thinkprogress.org/how-to-effectively-prevent-rape-according-to-a-controversial-new-scientific-study-2e35e64cc0a6#.6wqu9towq).

This quite controversial since it focuses on the behavior of the potential victims, rather than on the perpetrators. But it is the only strategy that has been shown to actually work.

Do you go with what works? Or do you go with what is politically popular?

vikorr

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2016 10:25 pm
@maxdancona,
That line of thought wasn't victim blaming - it was training and awareness to avoid sexual assault. It is baffling that there are academics arguing against it when:

- Police train in conflict management, communication, tactical skills to keep themselves safe.
-firefighters train in safe behaviours around fires
- health professionals train in hygiene behaviours (to both keep themselves from catching a contagious disease, and to prevent spread to patients of diseases)
- schools teach kids road safety
- courses teach 'defensive driving'
- governments have workplace health & safety laws, to mandate safe behaviours at work
- trades run safety courses
- construction, mining, and many other industries require the wearing of PPE
- airlines do safety checks before flights
- cars get roadworthy's before sale
- buildings get smoke alarms / fire systems

Everyone thinks this sort of thing is normal. Safety (increasing) behaviour is almost universally accepted in just about every area of society...

....except womens safety.

Hold perpertrators responsible, and always adopt safety conscious behaviours.
vikorr

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2016 10:32 pm
@vikorr,
I thought this was particularly pertinent from that article:

Quote:
“What this shows us is that, while we wait for effective programs for men or for cultural shifts in attitudes to happen, there is something practical we can do to give young women the tools they need to better protect themselves from sexual assault,” Senn said in a statement.
0 Replies