Catholic remarried couples should abstain from sex

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2016 05:26 am
... says archbishop of Philadelphia. Catholics in Philadelphia who are divorced and civilly remarried will be welcome to accept Holy Communion – as long as they abstain from sex and live out their relationships like “brother and sister”.

New guidelines published by the conservative this month also called on priests within the archdiocese to help Catholics who are attracted to people of the same sex and “find chastity very difficult”, saying such individuals should be advised to frequently seek penance.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/jul/06/philadelphia-catholic-church-rules-divorce-gay-sex
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 12 • Views: 11,481 • Replies: 71

jespah

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2016 06:32 am
@Tes yeux noirs,
Apart from pregnancies, how are they gonna check?
Smileyrius

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2016 06:34 am
@Tes yeux noirs,
Technically. based on Jesus words at Matthew 5:32, the only basis for divorce that God recognises is adultery, meaning that anyone who divorces his wife on any other grounds, and marries another, this union isn't recognised by God, meaning that any sexual activity that follows is considered adultery. So the basis for the archbishops comments aren't exceptionally inaccurate. If however a man or woman are victims of infidelity, they may divorce and remarry with Gods approval, in which case they may fraternise like bunnies with no penalty

This is only really important to those who submit themselves to the authority of this God.
Smileyrius

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2016 06:35 am
@jespah,
Don't catholics have to confess? Razz
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2016 08:09 am
@jespah,
jespah wrote:

Apart from pregnancies, how are they gonna check?

Honor system.

Smiley, yeah they would have to confess that sin, but confessions remain private between that person and the priest, who in standing in for God during the confession.

Jes, If you are a serious adherent to the Catholic faith the couple would follow this ruling, just like a devoted follower of any religion would follow theirs.

How would they check if an Hasidic Jew ate Maryland Crab Cakes?

chai2

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2016 08:12 am
@chai2,
To me it's like the conundrum of being homosexual.

If you don't have sex with anyone ever, or take action on your homosexuality, you're not commiting any sin.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2016 08:17 am
@Tes yeux noirs,
I understand that some people are believers and some people are not. But it's situations like this which seem particularly damaging to me. It's sad that people have to deal with such a twisted approach to their lives, based on nothing more than some other human being's claim of knowing what their imaginary "God" wants people to do. Much of religion is delusional, and it is damaging people and humanity.
chai2

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2016 08:39 am
@rosborne979,
Bow howdy, not agruing with that!

Look how many people stay with abusive spouses, have more children than they want and can afford, don't live out their aspirations, etc, all for the sake of what you just said.
0 Replies

Tes yeux noirs

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2016 08:42 am
The bit about 'brother and sister' took me aback somewhat. When I lived with my sister I can promise you there was no battle to refrain from sex, on either side.
chai2

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2016 08:43 am
@Tes yeux noirs,
Well, that's the idea Tes yeux noirs

0 Replies

Tes yeux noirs

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2016 09:04 am
They seem to see human sexuality as something to be constantly battled and overcome.
chai2

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2016 09:19 am
@Tes yeux noirs,
Agreeing.

But, if you choose to follow that religion, and are a marrying a divorced person, or a homosexual, part of the package would be avoiding sex.

InfraBlue

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2016 09:21 am
@Smileyrius,
Some people submit themselves to Gods and churches that proscribe the celebration of birthdays.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2016 09:36 am
@chai2,
why submit to the church's policy of matrimony if sex is a no-no. Catholics (as a former one) are always up each others asses for no logical reasons.
Tes yeux noirs

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2016 09:47 am
@chai2,
Do you suppose it is just penetrative sex that is frowned upon? Would heavy petting be OK?
chai2

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2016 09:47 am
@farmerman,
Another former catholic farmer, so preaching to the choir.

People have to make their own choices on whether to follow the rules or not.

We're all on the same page that this is abnormal, but what is one persons abnormal is anothers voluntarily doing what they feel will please the diety they worship.

farmerman

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2016 09:49 am
@chai2,
especially coming from the Philly diocese. Its probably second only to Boston for NAMBLA priests and pastors.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2016 09:53 am
@Tes yeux noirs,
Tes yeux noirs wrote:

Do you suppose it is just penetrative sex that is frowned upon? Would heavy petting be OK?

To the point of orgasm for the male?

My rememberances are that every act of sex must be open to the possibility of conception, so if the male is spilling his seed, it's wasting all those possible catholics.

Every sperm is sacred you know.

Here's a link with thoughts on this....

http://www.religioustolerance.org/masturba10b.htm

0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2016 09:56 am
@Tes yeux noirs,
Quote:
Do you suppose it is just penetrative sex that is frowned upon? Would heavy petting be OK

When I first heard about "heavy petting" from sister mary wombat Me and Mary lou cziebilski walked to a nearby cemetery and started undressing each other and engaging in hevy petting. I was in heaven at about 12 years old. It was about then that I discovered the many entertaining uses for that lower appendage.

Mary lou was a bit on the skinny side but she blossomed at about 14 and she got pregnant in high school and never finished till much later in her 20's. She wound up becoming an accountant then a really hot real estate broker who sold a lot of houses . .
farmerman

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2016 10:01 am
@farmerman,
CHAI
A little ditty by the Philadelphia Diocesan Vocational Choir

0 Replies