Should the 2016 Olympics be ditched in its entirety?

panzade

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2016 10:36 am
I've finally gotten into the Olympics and I'm really enjoying it.

The Iranian woman who medaled last night; that was a moving moment.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2016 11:36 am
@panzade,
But..we hate Iranians
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2016 12:28 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

But..we hate Iranians

I hate the Iranian government. The Iranian people? There's some good apples in that bunch.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2016 01:07 pm
@tsarstepan,
I'm sure there are. I was kidding.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2016 12:31 am
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:
And this, in my opinion, is a ridiculously timid approach to take to the world. Millions of people do this every year without incident and Rio has great beaches that are definitely worth exploring if you have the opportunity. Much of the interesting and beautiful things in the world live in developing nations with developing nation problems. I, for one, do not want to live in a tiny bubble and see this kind of thinking as inordinate paranoia.

I'm sure there are a lot of other nice beaches that do not have high levels of contamination in them.

In fact, other than the high viral load, what do Rio beaches have that isn't available in Miami (or Key West, or Puerto Rico)?

I don't really see much reason to venture outside US territory.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2016 12:33 am
@ossobucotemp,
ossobucotemp wrote:
What a role change, if true and it does sound like it, from Ryan Lochte the champion to liar before the whole world.. or the smaller world that follows the Olympics.

He didn't lie. It was perfectly reasonable for him to conclude that he was robbed at gunpoint.

I find this incident yet another reason for first-world sneering at Brazil. Instead of being reasonable and accepting that his robbery claims were a legitimate misunderstanding after what happened to him, they are throwing a national temper tantrum.
oralloy

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2016 12:34 am
@oralloy,
And while I'm on the subject of sneering at Brazil, what was with their goofy claims to have invented the first airplane in 1906? They made that silly claim in both their opening and closing ceremony.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2016 06:25 am
This main thesis of this thread has come kind of moot considering the Olympics have gone and past. It'd be kind of ironic to keep this particular debate alive after that fact.

Yes, it could have been far worst. The only thing, I'm interested now regarding the Rio Olympics is how much money was lost/wasted; how quickly the new facilities and Olympic related infrastructure will rot and decay into ruins (like many other past host countries); what are the posteffects of Olympic pollution and social disorder on the poor classes of people pushed aside because they were in the wrong place at the wrong time and the government needed their land for the above mentioned facilities and related infrastructure that will likely be neglected and officially forgotten about.

Like most Olympic cities (1st, 2nd, and 3rd world), promises were made. Lives (postOlympics) made better due to the infrastructure buildup. Rarely have they been kept.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2016 06:55 am
@tsarstepan,
It's not over though, there's still the Paralympics, and the fear is they've been squeezed for the Olympics. Paralympians are more impressive than Olympians considering all they've had to deal with.

Btw, kudos to team GB, finishing second and proving the naysayers wrong by improving on London. Not bad for a little island.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2016 10:06 am

Study shows that by 2088, much of the world will be too hot to hold the Summer Olympics during the summer:
http://mahb.stanford.edu/library-item/last-summer-olympics-climate-change-health-work-outdoors/

http://mahb.stanford.edu/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/PIIS0140673616313356.pdf

I have a couple criticisms of the study. It presumes that Europe will remain cooler than most of the rest of the world. Can that be presumed?

It presumes that holding the Summer Games during the winter will fundamentally change the nature of the Summer Games. I don't think it will be all that big of a deal so long as it is warm enough for the games to be held.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 7 Feb, 2018 07:05 am
South Korea Prepares for the Winter Olympics
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 7 Feb, 2018 09:11 pm
Fantasy Olympic team time

fast and easy to set up (if you have a basic calculator Smile )

https://able2know.org/topic/442941-1
0 Replies