Why Do People Die?

Thu 2 Jun, 2016 05:53 am
For ages man has asked this question. Scientists who are experts in stem cell research are also puzzled as to why humans grow old and eventually die. According their research, humans should never grow old, let alone die. They are seeking to find out why the natural cell renewal process in humans begins to slow down as a person's ages and eventually stops all together. To this current day they are still trying to find out why.

Interestingly the Bible long ago revealed why humans grow old and die. Attached is a link to a short article the presents what the Bible teaches on this subject.

Edit [Moderator]: Link removed
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 10 • Views: 7,939 • Replies: 76
Topic Closed
No top replies

saab

Thu 2 Jun, 2016 06:21 am
@anthony1312002,
Use your brain and you will know why we die.
Think about how many people have lived and died since - let us say 1200.
How much space would there be on earth for all of us now 800 years later - including animals, insects, fish and everything growing in nature which has not died.
If things do not die what are we going to live from. The tiniest insect is eaten by a bit bigger insect, which again is eaten by a bigger one and on and on it goes.
No thank you - I think the Creator did the right thing in not letting us live forever and ever.
anthony1312002

Thu 2 Jun, 2016 06:35 am
@saab,
You raise some interesting points. But what the Bible shows is that it was not the Creators purpose that humans die nor for the earth to become over populated, but that he will at a certain point in the future eliminateold age and death. To prevent overpopulation he will cause the process of conception in humans to cease. Thus allowing the fulfillment of Psalm 37:29.

Imagine a world where you are no longer bound by a limited life span. Where you could engage in endless projects and exploration. Where everyday there would be something new to experience and engage in. That is the picture the Bible paints regarding living forever.
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Thu 2 Jun, 2016 06:43 am
@anthony1312002,
Of course the Darwin angle will explain it as: Evolution Baby!

If a species developed that didn't have a finite lifespan evolved they would eat all the resources due to overcrowding and then die off from starvation. So only the species who die survived.

Or it could be that God wanted us to contemplate our mortality. Having a death sentence encourages that. I often wonder if that's especially true in death row inmates.
0 Replies

saab

Thu 2 Jun, 2016 06:55 am
Quote:
Imagine a world where you are no longer bound by a limited life span. Where you could engage in endless projects and exploration.

In our short lifespan it is amazing how little we people engage in projects and explorations. The majority of us just live our lifes and are content to stay where we are.
Unlimited life span sooner or later the endless projects are not interesting anymore and we have done the explorations we want to. There will not be new babies, no young people to rebell against the old, no young men and women inventing new things. Earth will be crowded with old people getting older and older and more and more bored with life and no place to go.
Are you sure you did not just tell about hell?
Leadfoot

Thu 2 Jun, 2016 07:15 am
@saab,
Quote:
Amen! I guess I'm lucky to have been in a position to pursue my explorations and projects most of my life. I'm already (at 68) kind of burned out on that. If that's all you have to offer in eternity, fagetaboutit!

What else you got to offer Anthony?
anthony1312002

Thu 2 Jun, 2016 07:44 am
@saab,
Lol. No, I wasn't referring to hell. But what has to be factored in is that the Creator would will have things in place that will ensure that life never becomes boring. Even now we see the potential for enjoying life endlessly were conditions on the earth vastly different than what they are now. For example, even though extensive research has been done on the many varieties of orchids, experts theorize that the variations that can be developed in just this one flower are endless. And that is just a flower. What about the rest of creation?

No, far far from boring will it be to live to time indefinite at a time when war, crime, death and disease are no more.
Leadfoot

Thu 2 Jun, 2016 07:53 am
@anthony1312002,
Quote:
the Creator would will have things in place that will ensure that life never becomes boring.
I'm sure that's true. But it isn't due to all the possibilities in raising new strains of orchids.

Here's a clue: The most interesting thing in the world are humans and their relationships. God has envisioned way better in that area that we have done here.

What many religions offer (and it sounds like your's too) is an eternal version of the Cleaver family with the neat house, flower garden and a white picket fence. - No Sale...
saab

Thu 2 Jun, 2016 08:03 am
@Leadfoot,
Quote:
and a white picket fence. - No Sale...

Imagen painting a white picket fence for an eternity. Just once on a hot day seems like an eternity
Sturgis

Thu 2 Jun, 2016 08:18 am
@saab,
That's probably why that kid Tom Sawyer always got people to do it for him.
0 Replies

neologist

Thu 2 Jun, 2016 11:07 am
@saab,
Actually, God told Adam and Eve to fill the earth.
Think about that.
If you tell the waiter to fill your coffee cup, would you expect him to continue pouring until the entire restaurant were inundated with coffee? No doubt, God had a comfortable population limit in mind.
neologist

Thu 2 Jun, 2016 11:09 am
@saab,
saab wrote:
. . . In our short lifespan it is amazing how little we people engage in projects and explorations. The majority of us just live our lifes and are content to stay where we are.
Unlimited life span sooner or later the endless projects are not interesting anymore and we have done the explorations we want to. There will not be new babies, no young people to rebell against the old, no young men and women inventing new things. Earth will be crowded with old people getting older and older and more and more bored with life and no place to go.
You say you are easily bored. . .
What if you had limitless imagination ?
neologist

Thu 2 Jun, 2016 11:10 am
@Leadfoot,
Are you easily bored as well?
I thought you enjoyed this space!
saab

Thu 2 Jun, 2016 12:32 pm
@neologist,
Where did I say I get easily bored? I really don´t, but an eternity and never children and young people. How many times can one explore the earth in millions of years?
neologist

Thu 2 Jun, 2016 12:47 pm
@saab,
Use your imagination
saab

Thu 2 Jun, 2016 12:56 pm
@neologist,
That is unusual - normaly I am told I use my imagination too well-
neologist

Thu 2 Jun, 2016 01:30 pm
@saab,
When I lived in New England, I never tired of my treks along the Appalachian Trail, particularly the Presidential Range in New Hampshire. I dearly look forward to getting back there and, perhaps, a dip in the Pemmigewasset. But first, I may like to get back to the Devil's Backbone trail up Mount Baldy from the Wrightwood side. Oh wait! That's California!
And I haven't really even started the Pacific Crest Trail.
Oh dear! Where to go first?
What about my garden?
I was going to polish my computer skills . . .
And learn music - Not just the harmonica, either.
My hand to eye coordination could use some work.
Also, I used to lift very heavy weights. I wonder how much I could bench press if I had time to practice.
Oh, time. Need time. More time.
'Cause there are things I haven't thought of yet.
Leadfoot

Thu 2 Jun, 2016 01:47 pm
@neologist,
Quote:
Are you easily bored as well?
I thought you enjoyed this space!
Not easily.
I have an active imagination and have enjoyed this space immensely, but I can see the handwriting on the wall. In society as it exists here and is promised by religions, I'll run out of things that interest me in the near future. An eternity of this would bore me to death. If I wasn't in the home stretch already it would be a real problem. I'm confident of God's timing though, it'll probably work out just right.
0 Replies

saab

Thu 2 Jun, 2016 01:51 pm
@neologist,
That is one place I would like to see again and again - small roads in New England - finding European names and go there- I have been to Denmark and Norway and other places.
I would never take one step on the Appalachian Trail, but have read about it and enjoyed Bill Bryson´s book.
Yes my garden - there will be lots of weeds over an eternity.
I always liked colours in fantasy, in my dreams and working with them.
That is endless - colours and meeting new people, but even more important deepen friendships that already exist.
Ha ! and be able to meet those stupid politicians and tell them what kind of idiots they are.
If I had money I would take all the famous trainrides like the Orient Express.

But not an eternity of this - no.
neologist

Thu 2 Jun, 2016 05:29 pm
@saab,
saab wrote:
. . . But not an eternity of this - no.
I believe the most reasonable approach is to embark on the eternal journey with the understanding you can quit when you wish.
As opposed to having your plug pulled when you least expect, or when your family would be affected.
Besides, the alternate to life is a real bummer.