Do you embrace modern technology, or remain rather old school? at least to some extent?

Mon 16 May, 2016 02:21 am
Do you embrace all new technologies? Or still remain relatively old school in your ways? whatever they may be
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 12 • Views: 5,038 • Replies: 19
Topic Closed
No top replies

Setanta

Mon 16 May, 2016 03:33 am
Why is it necessary to embrace them? Can't we just shake hands?

I own a portable phone, but it's a dumb phone. I couldn't even tell you where it is right now. We have a land line if i really need to make a phone call. I also own a tablet, but The Girl uses that--i also don't know where that is at the moment. Obviously there is some "modern" technology which i employ. My most common form of entertainment is to read a book. You know, made out of paper, you have to turn the pages by hand . . .
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Mon 16 May, 2016 03:47 am
Samsung Galaxy S tablet for the news, Samsung Note 4 phablet phone because sometimes I want to go light, and a gaming rig desktop at home...that said, electrodomestics, freezer, owen, and all the other kitchen and house jazz is old because it lasts a lifetime...I hate stuff that doesn't last. Books in old fashion paper keep as good as ever plus they smell nice !
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Mon 16 May, 2016 07:35 am
@Gregory81,
If I could afford it (and since I can't), I would be far more techventerous (pending TM).
engineer

Mon 16 May, 2016 07:54 am
@Gregory81,
I think there is a middle ground between "embrace all new technologies" and "old school". I generally let someone else work out the kinks and then utilize advances that work for me.
0 Replies

Thomas

Mon 16 May, 2016 09:06 am
@Gregory81,
Gregory81 wrote:
Do you embrace all new technologies? Or still remain relatively old school in your ways? whatever they may be

I think that's the wrong way to frame it because technologies are means, not ends. Accordingly, I don't embrace can openers, I 'embrace' (if that is the word) eating whatever is in the can, and for that, I need the can to be open. Likewise, I don't embrace cars, I 'embrace' getting to my destination quickly and safely. And, of course, I don't embrace smartphones, fitness watches, or tablets, I 'embrace' my life getting easier. In all these cases, I use technology to the extent that it serves my personal, nontechnical ends. But no more than that. To make technology an end in itself strikes me as silly.
ossobuco

Mon 16 May, 2016 09:35 am
@tsarstepan,
I second Tsarstepan - I'd be more up to date if I could afford it. I am happy about the technology I do have at my place.
Fil Albuquerque

Mon 16 May, 2016 09:43 am
@ossobuco,
Being in synk with tech is not expensive...unless you are one of those iphone Mac ppl...but those are the opposite of tech savy. Also what Thomas said.
ossobuco

Mon 16 May, 2016 10:04 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
You don't know my income level; don't lecture me about what is not expensive, son.
Fil Albuquerque

Mon 16 May, 2016 10:07 am
@ossobuco,
Yes mam. I spoke in relative terms not specifically about your case. I generalized as usual.
0 Replies

dalehileman

Mon 16 May, 2016 12:51 pm
@Gregory81,
Everything is 85 times more complicated. A phone ust'ave one control, maybe 2. Today at least 25, tomorrow 125
0 Replies

Real Music

Mon 16 May, 2016 06:35 pm
@Gregory81,
I am generally always about a decade behind technology. I am old school because I am more comfortable with old school. Trying to keep up with the advancement and rapid changing of technology I find to be stressful. I still buy, collect, and listen to CDs. I have never downloaded any music or movies ever. I have a laptop PC. I still watch movies on my DVD player. I still like taking photographs and developing those photos on actual paper. I still like framing and displaying photos on my wall or coffee table. I still like putting family photos inside a real photo album. Although, I do plan on purchasing my first smart phone in the near future, I currently use a flip-up phone. I have never signed up or used any of the social media sites. That includes twitter, facebook, myspace, snapchat, Instagram, or the next big thing.

I enjoy being around people in the real world. I like face to face interactions. I love having actual verbal telephone conversations. I only text when I have no choice. As a general rule of mine, I don't text. I find texting to be too impersonal.

I do spend time on the internet from my laptop when and only when I am at home in my house. Yes I do like to shop on line. I use Ebay, Amazon, and other online shopping. I also do hotel, car rental, and Airline tickets online. I really love Pandora online radio. I do embrace technology in some ways, but I am old school in a whole lot of ways.

While brousing the internet on this topic, I came across this interesting link. Check out this link. You may find it interesting as well.

http://silverstreakonline.com/opinion/2014/02/11/technology-social-media-hinder-communication-skills/
0 Replies

izzythepush

Tue 17 May, 2016 11:44 am
@Thomas,
You may not but plenty do. There's loads of people who see their car as something other than a means of getting from A to B. Smartphones can be similarly aspirational. When I bought my last phone, (my old one had broken,) there was a young lad who wanted to change his phone because it wasn't the latest model. He was dressed in a shell suit and pushing a pram, and didn't sound like he understood all the features on his old phone, but he was desperate for the new one, mainly so he could show it off.
0 Replies

selectmytutor

Tue 24 May, 2016 03:41 am
@Gregory81,
I don't think so, I just use both new and old. Some old technologies are better than new so I just go with older one and some I use new one also.
0 Replies

Real Music

Sun 11 Jul, 2021 11:56 am
mark
0 Replies

JatApp

Wed 25 Aug, 2021 05:53 am
What's up it's me, I am also visiting this website daily, this website is really pleasant and the viewers are really sharing good thoughts.
0 Replies

RichieRichR

Fri 22 Oct, 2021 09:10 am
@Gregory81,
I personally try to keep up with the times. But we all need a break from technology once in a while; we can't do without it.
0 Replies

mumik

Fri 29 Oct, 2021 09:43 am
@Gregory81,
Hello, sorry I'm not according to the thread, but how can I embed twitter here? Found a nice tweet I would love to share here

Region Philbis

Fri 29 Oct, 2021 12:04 pm
@mumik,

i don't think you can do that here, but you can post a screen shot of the tweet...
0 Replies

johneggers

Mon 6 Dec, 2021 10:10 am
Even if you don't embrace them, you will be forced to eventually.
0 Replies