Meat (Vegetarianism)

Glennn

Reply Wed 4 May, 2016 08:47 pm
@maxdancona,
Quote:
Maybe that turns you on, Glennn

No, it doesn't turn me on. I'm addressing the subject of this thread from the perspective of meat-eaters. If it's natural to do so, then why the reluctance to kill the animal yourself.

I'm not trying to corner you. I'm just curious to hear how this is reconciled.
maxdancona

Reply Wed 4 May, 2016 08:49 pm
@Glennn,
It is very easy to reconcile.

Do you make your own shoes? Do you fix your own car? Do you do your own plumbing?

I like to eat meat. I don't like to kill animals. So, I pay someone else to kill the animals (and clean the meat and dispose of the parts I don't want). I also like to wear clothing... but I don't like to sew. And I like to drink Scotch but I don't like to run a still.

That's how modern life works. You pay people to do the things you don't want to do yourself... or that you can't do well.

Glennn

Reply Wed 4 May, 2016 08:55 pm
@maxdancona,
So your reluctance to kill the animals you eat is a matter of convenience, and not a matter of sensitivities?
maxdancona

Reply Wed 4 May, 2016 09:41 pm
@Glennn,
I have killed fish, lobsters and chickens myself for food (and some mice, but that was not for food). With the chickens, it was more than a "convenience" factor... it was kind of disgusting with the blood all over, I wouldn't do it again.

I am not sure that "sensitivities" is the right word for it, it is a similar reason that I don't like snaking my own toilet.
Glennn

Reply Wed 4 May, 2016 09:53 pm
@maxdancona,
Quote:
it was kind of disgusting with the blood all over,

Yeah, there's that. But I'd much rather snake my toilet, or fix my own car, or do my own plumbing, or run my own still. There's no panicked look in the eyes to deal with when doing those things.
snood

Reply Thu 5 May, 2016 07:43 am
@Glennn,
Hmm... it's like you're trying to elicit an answer that nods toward feeling compassion for the animals we kill for food, but no one's biting.
Setanta

Reply Thu 5 May, 2016 08:10 am
My grandfather had a knack for killing the chickens. My sister and i had to feed them and we hated them. We enjoyed watching him kill them. He would croon to them, and stroke their necks as he lowered the neck onto the chopping blocks. He didn't use a staple to hold them still, they were hy-mo-tized. Then he'd bring the hatchet down, and the body would stagger off and fall over. No blood splattered blood all over.
Glennn

Reply Thu 5 May, 2016 08:15 am
@snood,
Quote:
Hmm... it's like you're trying to elicit an answer that nods toward feeling compassion for the animals we kill for food, but no one's biting.

Hmm . . . it's like you're saying you have nothing to say, and felt the need to let everyone know that you have nothing to say.
snood

Reply Thu 5 May, 2016 08:19 am
@Glennn,
Hey! That wasn't nice! Must be all that red meat. Smile
Glennn

Reply Thu 5 May, 2016 08:19 am
@Setanta,
Quote:
We enjoyed watching him kill them.

That answers the question I asked you earlier.
Glennn

Reply Thu 5 May, 2016 08:22 am
@snood,
Quote:
Hey! That wasn't nice!

It was an observation.
snood

Reply Thu 5 May, 2016 08:24 am
@Glennn,
As was my post. I observed that no one was taking the bait to express compassion for animals we kill to eat. There was no call for your snotty remark.
Setanta

Reply Thu 5 May, 2016 08:27 am
@Glennn,
I just noticed this. If you asked me a question earlier, i didn't read it. I consider you a typical internet turd-stirrer. I don't poke myself in the eye with sharp objects; i don't read your posts--same, same.
Glennn

Reply Thu 5 May, 2016 08:32 am
@snood,
Quote:
I observed that no one was taking the bait to express compassion for animals we kill to eat.

My posts are comments and questions in response to the OP. Your post was an assessment of my motive. When I said that you have nothing to say about the topic, that wasn't me being snotty. It was an observation based on your meaningless post.
Glennn

Reply Thu 5 May, 2016 08:37 am
@Setanta,
Quote:
I just noticed this. If you asked me a question earlier, i didn't read it. I consider you a typical internet turd-stirrer. I son't poke myself in the eye with sharp objects; i don't read your posts--same, same.

Translation: Instead of staying on topic, I'm going to expose my lack of self control--yet again--by insulting you. Plus I'm going to answer your post, which flies in the face of my claim that I don't read your posts. I'm just that smart . . .

0 Replies

snood

Reply Thu 5 May, 2016 08:41 am
@Glennn,
OK. That was an example of you NOT being snotty. Bet you're lotsa laughs at parties. In any case, my comment wasn't directed at you at all, and I doubt that everyone considered it meaningless.
Glennn

Reply Thu 5 May, 2016 08:46 am
@snood,
Quote:

That was directed at me.
Quote:
In any case, my comment wasn't directed at you at all,

I see . . .
snood

Reply Thu 5 May, 2016 08:56 am
@Glennn,
Glennn wrote:

Quote:

That was directed at me.
Quote:
In any case, my comment wasn't directed at you at all,

I see . . .

I was trying to get a rise out of people on this thread who were refusing to address the compassion bit. So in a way I was addressing you, but in a way my real aim was at everyone else on the thread. In any case, I don't understand the pressing need for you to label it "meaningless", unless you just had an uncontrollable urge to be an ass. You seem to struggle with that.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 5 May, 2016 09:11 am
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

Me, I'm a lifelong meat eater mixed with consideration for the animals.

I prefer consideration for the animals and the conditions under which they live and become our food, but I still eat some meat.
Glennn

Reply Thu 5 May, 2016 09:18 am
@snood,
Quote:
I was trying to get a rise out of people on this thread who were refusing to address the compassion bit.

If that were true, you would have posted the question to everyone instead of telling me why you believe I posted what I posted.
Quote:
In any case, I don't understand the pressing need for you to label it "meaningless

It was meaningless because you were simply letting me know what you thought was behind my post.
Quote:
unless you just had an uncontrollable urge to be an ass. You seem to struggle with that.

I understand that you interpret my questions and my thoughts on this matter as me being an ass. I can't help you with that.