Brexit. Why do Brits want Out of the EU?

Walter Hinteler

Thu 27 Oct, 2016 01:13 am
@saab,
saab wrote:
EU is 23 years old and the first years - ten or fifteen or so - no plitician who was EUscepticer or agaist EU was allowed to be a member of the parliament or anything.
To what country/countries are you referring here?

I sincerely doubt that any constitution in any European country can have such an amendment.

And if you you are referring just to the EU-Parliament: aach Member State has different rules determining who can vote for and run as the European Parliamentary candidates.
For your "anything": if this is related to the EU, it would be peculiar funny to have someone being against the EU within the EU-administration.
saab

Thu 27 Oct, 2016 01:29 am
@Walter Hinteler,
There were no laws against it - it was just the thing to see to that any EU sceptiker poltiican or party did not get into EU.
I am talking about Sweden, Denmark and Germany.
Walter Hinteler

Thu 27 Oct, 2016 01:36 am
@saab,
Sorry, I misunderstood your "was allowed" then.

However, every "EU sceptiker poltiican" certainly can live/work in the EU.

In Germany, "Die grüne Partei" (today "Bündnis 90/Die Grünen") was anti-EU in the first EU_Parliament elections in 1979.
saab

Thu 27 Oct, 2016 01:42 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Ha, ha ha
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Thu 27 Oct, 2016 05:01 am
Data from the Universities and Colleges Admissions Service (UCAS) suggest the number of early applicants to British universities from other EU countries has dropped by 9 percent year-on-year following the referendum.

More at The Independent and The Telegraph
saab

Thu 27 Oct, 2016 10:20 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Re: German lady in England
About two weeks ago a Portugeese, who speaks British English was not served in a kneipe in Berling because they thought he was British.
About four weeks ago a Swedish lady was threathened by her German neighbor and he said that he would with the help of the police get her back to where she came from. Foreigners out!!!
Some years ago one should be careful speaking with American accent in specially German university cities - the students were really against Americans.
As an American you could get nasty calls during the night.
Walter Hinteler

Thu 27 Oct, 2016 11:29 am
@saab,
Could be that after Brexit there will be Germanixit - we've got enough right-wingers and other xenophobes who would like that.
Walter Hinteler

Thu 27 Oct, 2016 11:53 am
Quote:
No 10 is refusing to disclose what state support has been given to Nissan to convince the car manufacturer to boost production at its Sunderland plant despite its worries about Brexit. Downing Street insisted there was no “sweetheart deal” with the Japanese company, but acknowledged that Theresa May had given some assurances to the wider industry that it would be protected from the impact of the UK’s withdrawal from the EU.
Source
0 Replies

saab

Thu 27 Oct, 2016 12:04 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Do you realize that the Germans who were so antiAmrican were the lefts - the ones who now call the right winged xenophobes.
Personally I do not like the xenophobes whatever they are left or right.
Germany will be the last country to leave EU.
Walter Hinteler

Thu 27 Oct, 2016 12:10 pm
@saab,
saab wrote:
Do you realize that the Germans who were so antiAmrican were the lefts
Most were. (At least in Germany, there had been a strong anti-Americanism among political conservatives and thoseconcerned with traditional values.) And 'yes', of course I realise that - I've lived in those days and have never said differently.
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Thu 27 Oct, 2016 12:21 pm
@saab,
That reminds me: some years ago, a sacristan in a beautiful church in Rome (probably Sant' Andrea), answering one of my questions, identified me as Portuguese, whereas I am really an US american with irish heritage. I just didn't dress like some american tourists, and my italian was a little "off" so I couldn't be italian, so he was guessing some other european...

I smiled and told him the truth and we both enjoyed our talking.

edit to say that I remember that on one of my trips there - I forget which one, probably the one in 1999 - I was worried americans could be targeted, which would be ironic re my own politics. Nothing of the sort happened.
Walter Hinteler

Thu 27 Oct, 2016 12:48 pm
@ossobucotemp,
I don't think that anti-Americanism is related to Brexit.

But It is obvious that negative opinions of the United States exist throughout the world, and it is also obvious that this is not something new: the U.S. has generated reactions - both positive and negative - ever since 1776.
cicerone imposter

Thu 27 Oct, 2016 01:15 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Regardless of the hate expressed toward the US, many people around the world still wish to migrate to this country.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Thu 27 Oct, 2016 01:23 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Back to Brexit (and the discussion about foreigners during the last posts here): the home secretary, Amber Rudd, raised the idea of companies disclosing the proportion of foreigners that they employ - but the Chancellor, Philip Hammond, has insisted that the issue is not with "highly skilled and highly paid bankers, brain surgeons, software engineers".
0 Replies

saab

Thu 27 Oct, 2016 01:49 pm
Quote:
At least in Germany, there had been a strong anti-Americanism among political conservatives and thoseconcerned with traditional values.)

That is a pure lie - it was the leftist, the students, the 68ter, who blew up US cars, who did and still have a nasty remark often when it comes to USA.
Walter Hinteler

Thu 27 Oct, 2016 02:02 pm
@saab,
saab wrote:

Quote:
At least in Germany, there had been a strong anti-Americanism among political conservatives and thoseconcerned with traditional values.)

That is a pure lie - it was the leftist, the students, the 68ter, who blew up US cars, who did and still have a nasty remark often when it comes to USA.

I've never been accused of writing a lie, neither here nor elsewhere. And the first time it happens - it even is a "pure lie".

Thankfully there are enough sources (both academic as just by magazines, newspapers, brochures and books, online and printed, which prove me correct.

Although I'm not too over-sensitive, I'll stop posting here now.
0 Replies

saab

Thu 27 Oct, 2016 11:10 pm
My husband and I moved from Boston, where the students demonstrated against the Vietnam War.
He got a job at a German University. We moved and got an apartment, but even before he had time start or we getting settled the students demonstrated against having an American working at the university.
It was sad to experience, but got another job in anohter city - turned out to be even more interesting.
Here in Germany the students also protested against the Vietnam War but pro North by denomstrating on the street with Mao´s little red book and screaming HO HO CHI MIHN
I lived with being careful and sometimes having fear for a few years.
0 Replies

Lash

Mon 31 Oct, 2016 03:56 am
This seemed a bit desperate...and very sad.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/oct/30/uk-descendants-of-jewish-refugees-seek-german-citizenship-after-brexit-vote
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Thu 3 Nov, 2016 04:54 am
BREAKING: Government loses Article 50 court fight
Source: BBC

Parliament must vote on whether the UK can start the process of leaving the European Union, the High Court has ruled.
This means the government cannot trigger Article 50 of the Lisbon Treaty - beginning formal discussions with the EU - on their own.
Theresa May says the referendum - and existing ministerial powers - mean MPs do not need to vote, but campaigners called this unconstitutional.
The government is expected to appeal.

Read more: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-37857785
0 Replies

Lash

Mon 21 Nov, 2016 02:33 am
I've seen a couple of articles talking about an expansion of Google headquarters in London, but I'm unsure of the sources. If this is true, it seems to represent the Brexit effect that one would hope for: fewer hands in the taxing till lead to a more appealing place to do business.

I hope this is right. Reversing the overwhelming cost and control of globalization one step at a time.

Go London!!!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/2016/06/21/inside-googles-spectacular-new-london-offices/

A related article.
0 Replies