Your "GO TO" meals for wintertime

ossobuco

Reply Tue 24 Nov, 2015 03:25 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
So if you were making pork burritos you would put kale in them too, as I sometimes do? I also use collards and turnip greens and bok choy, usually pre sauteed. Again though, burritos aren't about winter for me, they're more a staple.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 24 Nov, 2015 03:28 pm
@ossobuco,
Never tried that.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 24 Nov, 2015 03:35 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
I'm teasing as you probably don't have tortillas in your stores, and most people around here probably don't throw greens in burritos either. I do like greens with my pork.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sat 28 Nov, 2015 06:07 am
I don't know if it's a go to recipe, but we often enjoy this over the winter months. It's a Jamie Oliver recipe I've changed beyond recognition. Diced butternut squash, chestnuts, garlic and bacon in a roasting tin with olive oil. Season/spice how you like, Oliver uses sage I use paprika and chili. Use whatever oven temperature/time you usually use for roasting. I use 45 mins at 180 degrees C, but whatever's right for you. Serve with crusty bread.
Miller

Reply Sat 28 Nov, 2015 09:31 am
@farmerman,
Because of the link between high salt and high BP, Campbells has tried to lower fat and salt content in their new soups, that go under the name "Heart Healthy". These soups ( like Cream of Chicken ), are still tasty even though the salt and fat contents have been reduced ( but unfortunately, the levels need to be lowered even further).
farmerman

Reply Sat 28 Nov, 2015 10:04 am
@Miller,
"Tasty" and Campbell'w Soup do not go together anymore. As a kid I used to love Chicken Gumbo but they seemed to have changed the recipe and those little under-tastes that defined their Chicken gumbo were lost.
Clam Chowder has always sucked, ditto "Pepper Pot" (till they just abandoned that one)
Theyve decreased their Sodium and merely jacked up their Potassium salts
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 28 Nov, 2015 10:06 am
@izzythepush,
With bacon, cn anything fqil? Is it American Style bcon or that slty degenerate oversalty , fatty ham they call bacon that common s a breakfast meat in UK and Ireland? At least in Scotland they were honest about processed and hung meats
izzythepush

Reply Sat 28 Nov, 2015 10:16 am
@farmerman,
I use proper back bacon, not your horrible scraggly stuff, but you use what you want. There's no hard and fast rules.
farmerman

Reply Sat 28 Nov, 2015 10:27 am
@izzythepush,
European culture had a long history of salted meats. Salting nd drying was the major cure. Ethiopeans did teach the GAuls nd Italians about smoking for curing and flavor but that seems to have been ignored by most of the mainland until the "Age of Discovery"
The English colonists learnt how to smoke and salt cure meats from the Native Americans and the flavor that was derived has been a key ingredient into the fine flavor of our bacon that the whole North American continent hs grown accustomed to.
"Scraggly" ??
Whenever I ate a "full breakfast" in either Ireland or UK, I became used to this piece of overly-salty "road-kill meat-like substance that had a big lard of fat on the ends and was bent over into a concavity from being cooked lqst week and rewarmed .

Ive only had some bad bacon in the South US where they make those shitty Virginia Hams that are so salted up they need to soak a week in several changes of water even before theyre edible.

Ive had good smoked fish in Scotland for breakfast, or, in Irelqnd or UK, Id go to some foreign establishment (like Indian)

izzythepush

Reply Sat 28 Nov, 2015 11:39 am
@farmerman,
I'm not bothered about any of that. I know what I like. Smoked back bacon in a fresh crusty white bread sandwich with HP is about as close to perfection as it's possible to achieve.
farmerman

Reply Sat 28 Nov, 2015 11:57 am
@izzythepush,
"back bacon" around here, we call Canadian Bacon (sorta) but , as I understand,(from Wikipedia), UK back bacon includes some of the pork belly as well and its only wet cure with salt water (IN UK and IRELAND) but made with a flavored brine in NortnAmerica) and rolled in pea meal to the North of the Pa border and mostly Canada. (Peameal is reportedly very common in the northern kingdom of NY).
At sets mention, I had some peameal rolled ham at a diner in Qellsboro Pa. It was very good and was used to accompany a set of paprika'd poached eggs on buttered toast. (We also use it and "Canadian Bacon" for eggs Benedict)

I dont consider SALT a flvor.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 28 Nov, 2015 12:07 pm
In Ontario, "peameal" roasts and bacon are back loin (hey, i didn't invent the terminology) pickled in a sweetened brine. Then they are rolled in corn meal--it used to be ground up yellow peas, peameal, but they don't mess with that now. I personally prefer the peameal roast over the back bacon, which is the roast sliced thin and then pan fried. Peameal roasts are like eating high quality ham--reminds me of the truly melt-in-your-mouth hams a friend of mine had shipped to him by his family in Poland.
farmerman

Reply Sat 28 Nov, 2015 12:15 pm
@Setanta,
yeh, the peameal (and I think, Canadin) are all bqck loin while the UK version contians some belly. BUT, since in UK its just brined in salt, the flavor is pretty vile.(qt least to my bacon lovin taste buds)

I tried some peameal up North in NY and N Pa and it had a great sweetish hammy flavor.

Not just salt
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sat 28 Nov, 2015 07:58 pm
@ehBeth,
Next year we might skip the turkey dinner and go straight to the eggrolls.

Yum!

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 28 Nov, 2015 08:08 pm
@boomerang,
My wife decided that she wanted to do turkey dinner leftover egg rolls. Good idea but she did too much mashed potato and not enough turkey. Also her sauce needed improving, all she had was cranberry sauce and apple cider vinegar, I added soy sauce and tabasco.

Will for sure do again with adjustments. Leftover gravy from the drippings from smoking the turkey in my Weber was the special sauce.....really cool smokey turkey flavor inside the egg roll, with an edgy slightly peppery cranberry flavor over the top.

Very Nice....
ehBeth

Reply Sat 28 Nov, 2015 10:44 pm
@boomerang,
I believe in leftovers as the actual meal Smile
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Sat 28 Nov, 2015 10:48 pm
@boomerang,
When I make soup or stew I make a LOT of it, and freeze it for later meals. During cold weather my family loves Pot Roast, but that only lasts for 2 meals. Sour Beef and dumplings (autocorrect keeps changing the proper spelling so I substituted) one dinner and lunch later that week. My personal favorite is Italian Sausage in Tomato sauce with Gnocchi, and of course 'Chili con Carne' (my mothers recipe). My mother-in-law made a great Brunswick stew, and I make a slightly less great version that we enjoy. Damn, now I'm hungry.
farmerman

Reply Sun 29 Nov, 2015 04:11 am
@glitterbag,
I only recently began doubling volumes of things like chili and soups. Mr F gets these plastic 1 quart containers from some AMish supply company and I brought the big clam pot home fro Maine, I can do this much more easily now.
If you wanna, you could send along thge Brunswick stew recipe. (I had it at a Georgia friends house years ago and his wife made it with squirrel meat as an ingredient. ). They didnt hunt and there were actually squirrel raisers in the state who would sell the meat for Brunswick stew.

glitterbag

Reply Sun 29 Nov, 2015 11:22 am
@farmerman,
Let me track down MIL's Brunswick Stew recipe and I'll send it to you. I use chicken instead of squirrel, I don't even know where I would get squirrel short of trapping the little boogers near the bird feeder. Chicken works fine for me.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sun 29 Nov, 2015 11:31 am
@hawkeye10,
I made ours with turkey, stuffing and brussels sprouts, with tart cranberry sauce. They turned out pretty good but I think next time I'll grind the ingredients up a lot finer than I did this time.

I think I'm going to make lumpia today since I still have wrappers. Our Phillipina neighbor used to make them for us every Thanksgiving but she moved back to the Philippines so we've gone without for the last few years.