Your "GO TO" meals for wintertime

ehBeth

Reply Tue 24 Nov, 2015 12:40 pm
@boomerang,
I like the idea of those leftover eggrolls. I may try that (but baked instead of fried ... just because Smile )
George

Reply Tue 24 Nov, 2015 12:48 pm
Guiness beef stew.
I feel comforted just thinking about it.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 24 Nov, 2015 12:57 pm
@ehBeth,
I have to resolve my eggroll dilemma. I've baked 'em many times, but to me the egg roll wrappers baked are on the slimy side. Maybe I should brush the calc (whatever it is) off after rolling each roll. Or.. before using the wrappers. Last few times, I've resorted to frying light.. as in usual 1/8" veg oil in pan, not two inches worth of oil. I cook them until the wrappers are browned up.

When I first fooled with making asian foods - must have been the second part of the seventies when I wok'd out and played with many recipes - I made my own wrappers some of the time, but no more of that, eh.

Today I'm making my first serioso rye bread (Carol Field, Bolzano Pane Nero), that is, if I ever get done kneading it. No time for stuff like making egg roll wrappers when I can just buy them, duh to self.
http://livinginthekitchenwithpuppies.blogspot.com/2011/02/pane-nero-rye-bread-from-bolzano.html
ossobuco

Reply Tue 24 Nov, 2015 01:03 pm
@farmerman,
Hmmm. I bought arrowroot recently (hefty package at that, given how much I'd ever use up) to use making sicilian gelato instead of cornstarch, but haven't tried it yet. Will play with it as a gravy thickener. Mrs. Farmer's concoction sounds great to me.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 24 Nov, 2015 01:09 pm
@ossobuco,
I gave Mrs F your abodava recipe and she hd some immediTE MODS (7 SPICE as an addin). NO CUMIN-thats correct.

Then serve it up as a burrito filling for hand-held burritos . I still have a garden full of cilantro greens. Some chopped onions and a version with some refried s another filling. SOunds reaal good.
We go out and buy some burritos every so often an we like em as a hand held treat not some glop on a plate.
farmerman

Reply Tue 24 Nov, 2015 01:10 pm
@George,
that sounds good, I assume that BOSTON is a US center of Guinessian culture
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 24 Nov, 2015 01:11 pm
@ossobuco,
I wondered if they could be handled like potstickers or pierogies - parboiled before baking. Maybe not. Have to think about it.
farmerman

Reply Tue 24 Nov, 2015 01:12 pm
@ossobuco,
how bout brushing some light oil on the egg rolls and bake em for about 10 min in a 400 F pre-heated oven?? That usually crisps sopmething up yet leaves it soft inside
ossobuco

Reply Tue 24 Nov, 2015 01:12 pm
@farmerman,
See, you screw up the name too. If I remember, the one I used is the spanish word for lawyer. Adobo and adovada or adobada are more recent to me ever hearing them and I have a failure to process correctly, or maybe I want to slow cook attorneys.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 24 Nov, 2015 01:13 pm
@ossobuco,
I was wondering how you baked egg rolls too and I found this:

Quote:
Lightly coat egg rolls with cooking spray, and place, seam side down, on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Bake at 425° for 18 minutes or until golden brown.

Might be worth a try!
ehBeth

Reply Tue 24 Nov, 2015 01:17 pm
ha - other than the temp/time difference, same advice at Cdn Living

http://www.canadianliving.com/food/quick_and_easy/baked_egg_rolls.php

Quote:
Place, seam side down, on rimmed baking sheet; brush with oil. Bake in 375°F (190°C) oven until golden and crisp, about 20 minutes.

definitely easier than parboiling

0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 24 Nov, 2015 01:31 pm
@farmerman,
Me too. I make burritos all year, no matter the weather. My other name for them is refrigerator freezer cleaners. Usually but not always some meat, some already cooked beans or even lentils, onions always, some hot peppers of some kind, one or more greens previously cooked. Garlic is likely already on a lot of the prev cooked stuff. Olives, perhaps. Cheese, usually, varying in type.

Since stuff is cooked already, they only need to be heated, but I bake them a half hour since I like them that way, the glass dish with an oil coat and some oil on the burrito tops.

I've avoided fish here like the plague but on rereading a thread recently saw that Calamity Jane recommened my looking for frozen fish to use for fish tacos. I'm going to try that, and if I like it, use it for, oh gawd, fish burritos, with differing ingredients.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 24 Nov, 2015 01:45 pm
@ehBeth,
Pot stickers are parboiled? I gotta read more. I've made them with wonton wrappers, not fabulous in my hands, and with my own, well someone I copied's, oil dough, which would make them more like empanadas. I need more practice. I want to get to the height of what I love now, gyozas..

Diane and my favorite asian place, Sushi Xuan, burned down along with another part of the tacky but useful mall, and they moved to way the other side of town. Too bad for us, who loved the place. In particular, their gyoza. I liked the gyoza in northern california too. But... I can't find Gyoza Wrappers.
http://krqe.com/2015/08/24/albuquerque-firefighters-extinguish-strip-mall-blaze/

This is not good, certainly for them very tough.
Ms. Picky's take on asian restaurants here, in contrast to the Los Angeles region, is low for the places I've been to, but I liked that place and its workers and it was close at hand.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 24 Nov, 2015 01:46 pm
@farmerman,
True, oil might fix it and I'd be fine with it.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 24 Nov, 2015 01:49 pm
@boomerang,
Cooking spray? Moi? But I get brushed oil could fix it.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 24 Nov, 2015 01:58 pm
@ossobuco,
you can steam or parboil potstickers before baking/frying

It's a personal preference.

The dumpling house we sometimes go to for potstickers steams them and then either serves them that way or lightly fries them.
ehBeth

Reply Tue 24 Nov, 2015 02:00 pm
@ehBeth,
or you can use Ming Tsai <swoon> 's approach

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/pork-and-ginger-pot-stickers-recipe.html

Quote:
COOKING THE DUMPLINGS: In a hot saute pan coated well with oil, place pot stickers flat side down and cook until the bottom is browned. Have pan cover ready and add 1 cup of chicken stock, cover immediately. Be careful, the liquid will splatter! The stock will steam the pot stickers. Check them in 5 minutes as more stock may be needed. The trick here is that once the dumplings are firm and fully cooked the stock will evaporate and the bottoms will crisp-up again.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 24 Nov, 2015 02:09 pm
@ehBeth,
Ok, that's it!!! I've saved it.

In retrospect, I probably did put oil on the baking dish and eggrolls I put in the oven, at least some. I wouldn't have put them in bare. Maybe I'm a calc disliker, or maybe when I "fried" them, it tempered the slimy component.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 24 Nov, 2015 03:00 pm
Kale. With smoked and fresh 'Kale sausage' (Kohlwurst, a specially spiced sausage made from raw minced pork),Kassler (salted and smoked cut of pork) and pan-fried potatoes.

Some info here.
ehBeth

Reply Tue 24 Nov, 2015 03:17 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Good stuff!
0 Replies