Oregon and California allow pharmacists to prescribe birth control

ehBeth

Reply Mon 23 Nov, 2015 12:17 pm
@Miller,
A pharmacist in the US who has 2 - 5 million in coverage is significantly underinsured. The extra premium to cover prescribing birth control isn't going to be significant.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Tue 24 Nov, 2015 03:48 am
@boomerang,
They're prescribed in the UK but they're free.
Linkat

Reply Tue 24 Nov, 2015 09:41 am
@izzythepush,
they are free in the US too. My insurance went up over $200 a month but I got my $10 monthly birth control pills for free - seems a fair exchange
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Tue 24 Nov, 2015 09:42 am
@Linkat,
As a reader of this thread, I wouldn't pay any attention to any comments posted on it, except for those made by the only Clinical Pharmacist ( A2K member) who has posted on this thread. Very Happy

boomerang

Reply Tue 24 Nov, 2015 11:32 am
@Miller,
I'm not discounting your concerns. I think those are legitimate points.

So do you think doctors are in favor of this law because it will push liability to the pharmacists?

Under the Oregon law, a patient must get their first prescription from a doctor. Does that sway you in any way?

I looked around for what pharmacists here are saying about this law but all I found was:

Does the OSPA support pharmacist prescribing of birth control?

Quote:
The Oregon State Pharmacist Association is an advocate for full utilization of pharmacists’ expertise to positively impact the health and wellness of all Oregonians. Pharmacists’ initiation of therapy when a diagnosis is not required or post-diagnostic management of diseases in collaboration with other health professionals is impactful and certainly within the scope of a pharmacist’s education and skill set.

I shop at our neighborhood pharmacy and don't have any experience with the big chains (other than the time I had to use a compound pharmacist to make meds for my cat (and he was lovely and concerned and happy to help us)).
0 Replies