Don't Trust Fandango to Rate Your Movie

Fri 16 Oct, 2015 12:49 pm
Fivethirtyeight.com looked into Fandango's movie ratings. You should stick to RottenTomatoes.

https://espnfivethirtyeight.files.wordpress.com/2015/10/hickey-datalab-fandango-2.png?w=610&h=486
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 6,949 • Replies: 5
Topic Closed
No top replies

tsarstepan

Fri 16 Oct, 2015 12:58 pm
@engineer,
Who actually goes to Fandango to check out movie ratings? I only go there to buy tickets.

I take IMDb ratings with a grain of salt even though I rate every movie I see there in order to get a database of all the movies I see. There are still hundreds (if not thousands of movies) I haven't rated on the site which I've seen before becoming a member there in April 2000.

I do heavily rely on Rotten Tomatoes (but only the recognized Top Critics layer of reviews and score).
0 Replies

FosterPARU

Thu 22 Oct, 2015 06:11 am
@engineer,
That's a pretty interesting graphic. When it comes to movie reviews I always stick to rottentomatoes. I always had the feeling that they were pretty good, so glad you showed me the proof of it.
0 Replies

Agent1741

Fri 1 Jun, 2018 08:58 pm
Typically I find if the critics hate it I will like it. I do not generally go by reviews I like to make up my own mind. If its a continuation of another movie I generally see it if I liked the first although that's not always a good thing. I was disappointed by the new Blade Runner very much!
Phoenix32890

Mon 4 May, 2020 10:54 am
I look to IMDB for most of my reviews. As to a rule of thumb, I will ignore a movie with under a 7 rating. If the rating is rated lower than 7, but still sounds interesting, I will go to the Movie Review Query Engine, (MRQE) and read a review from an important critic.

What I have found is that a number of films that are highly rated have little interest to me. The Haunting of Hill House comes to mind. I sat through two episodes, and was bored silly.

I would expect that since most films are seen by younger people, that might account for differences based on taste.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Mon 4 May, 2020 12:57 pm
@Agent1741,
Agent1741 wrote:

Typically I find if the critics hate it I will like it. I do not generally go by reviews I like to make up my own mind. If its a continuation of another movie I generally see it if I liked the first although that's not always a good thing. I was disappointed by the new Blade Runner very much!

Blade Runner was perfect. I went into the new Blade Runner expecting to be very disappointed...and I was not disappointed.

(Be sure to read that carefully.)
0 Replies