Posting to too many Facebook groups

Reply Sat 3 Oct, 2015 08:27 am
I have started posting images of my paintings to around 60 art groups. I do it manually and usually post the same image on each group with a little text info about the work. I do worry though that friends or followers may end up with loads of notifications showing the same image several times. The last thing I want to do is irritate anyone who likes my work. It would be good to know that this is not the case and people will not receive multiple emails showing the same image. Any thoughts/ knowledge?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 606 • Replies: 2
No top replies

jespah

Reply Sat 3 Oct, 2015 10:06 am
@markbriscoe,
If their notifications are set to send them an email every time there's an update, then yeah, this is excessive.

And it's excessive either way.

Please don't online market this way. It's a waste of your time, for one thing, and it looks like spam to a lot of people. What is likely happening is that, after enough times (whatever someone personally decides; there's no set figure), a person will leave these groups or shut off notifications or they will follow you but block your posts. You don't want any of this to be happening.

Instead, do an analysis of these 60 groups. I bet most of them don't help you that much. Go through them as if you were a customer. Do you scroll on by? Stop? Comment? Want to run screaming for the hills? Your website (you should add the Google Analytics code. If you haven't, do so yesterday) will show traffic sources. You may find Facebook on a whole isn't even a great source for you. You can also alter landing pages to get an idea of who surfs to you from where. E. g. if your painting of a white tiger is only posted on a (I have made this up for the purposes of this discussion; I doubt this page is real) White Tiger Art Page, then if you sell 10 copies and your traffic is coming from Facebook, then you're getting good value - but only for that image and that page.

Learn what is working and do more of that. Learn what isn't working and stop doing that, or change it up that it starts working. I bet you'll find that 5 or so of these groups provide the bulk of your traffic and sales. If that's the case, then jettison the other 55 or just post to them quarterly as a special event and don't otherwise put any time into them.

And start reading Avinash Kaushik. He's online; just Google him. Read his books or his blog - I have no association with him and get no referral fees or anything for recommending him - but read him! He's forgotten more about website and social media metrics analysis than most people know. Get on the right track with online marketing. This scattershot approach will, ultimately, shoot you in the foot.
markbriscoe

Reply Mon 5 Oct, 2015 12:49 pm
@jespah,
Thank you Jespah for your very helpful and long reply on saturday...
I actually didn’t just join EVERY art group I could find. As you mentioned I did scroll down these groups and lots of them didn’t look very impressive, or there were no likes on peoples posts etc. So these ones I didn’t join. The ones I post to now do vary a lot in the amount of likes I get so presumably I can weed out the weak ones as time goes on… Currently I am posting around once or twice a week to the 60 something art groups so as far as each group is concerned I am not over posting…

While I was searching for art groups to join I noticed the same artworks over and over again being posted in each group as I am doing so it seems to be a common practice. Not that this necessarily means it is a good idea, but the only harm I could envision is that anyone who is a member of lots of the same groups MIGHT get several emails from those groups displaying the same post, I would imagine overall though it would be a worse practice to post too many times in one group, than once in multiple groups. In short I am not convinced that this is bad practice, though of course you could well be right. can you claim with absolute authority that it is bad practice? Or is it just an instinctive reaction against the idea of posting multiple times. your feedback is very helpful and valuable to me all the same. The other side that you have mentioned, of analysing data is not something that comes easily to me. Ive just turned 50 and have only recently been seriously looking into social media to promote paintings. Just with FB there’s so much to learn. mostly I’ve been looking at tutorials on Youtube. It’ll take time. The less mistakes I make on the way the better … Thanks again.
0 Replies