Use of Out-of-State License Plates

gollum

Reply Sat 2 May, 2015 11:08 am
My co-op assigns parking spaces in a parking lot it owns to its residents. The lot has substantially fewer spaces than the co-op has residents, resulting in a long waiting waiting list for parking spaces.

Some of the parking spaces are held by residents whose cars have out-of-state license plates. I think these residents use addresses at which that they do not live in their car registration and car insurance applications . I believe this is done to save money on fees and insurance premia.

May the co-op refuse to grant parking spaces to such cars?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 558 • Replies: 12
No top replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 2 May, 2015 11:13 am
@gollum,
Does the co-op have the staff and money to prove your allegations? and to defend them if the residents disagree?
neologist

Reply Sat 2 May, 2015 11:27 am
@gollum,
My condominium association is pretty strict about this.
But the rules are clearly stated in the covenants. Check with them.
They could be changed.

Also, in Washington State, they clamp down hard on such activity as we neighbor Oregon, which has no sales tax.
0 Replies

gollum

Reply Sat 2 May, 2015 12:16 pm
@ehBeth,
I think it would be easy to look at the license plate and conclude that it is an out-of-state license plate. If a resident brought suit, it would be heard in the State court of the state wrongly denied license fees. That the requisite in-state license was not applied for or approved would be proved from Department of Motor Vehicles records.
ehBeth

Reply Sat 2 May, 2015 12:29 pm
@gollum,
Wouldn't you have to prove it was done for some malicious reason? or that they don't have another home in another state?

Are they required to prove ownership of the vehicle they park in their spot?

Are the spots dedicated to units or are they available to anyone?

___

Here, you buy/lease the parking spots and what you do with them is up to you. None of the business of the building/co-op who owns/licenses/insures the vehicle.
gollum

Reply Sat 2 May, 2015 12:47 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth-

Thank you.

1) "Wouldn't you have to prove it was done for some malicious reason? or that they don't have another home in another state?"

I don't think so. Even if it was done for a non-malicious reason (e.g., saving money by non-paying in-state registration fees and insurance premia), I think the co-op could refuse to issue a parking space based on that the license plate was obtained illegally.

2) "Are they required to prove ownership of the vehicle they park in their spot?"

To the bast of my knowledge this is not presently done. However, I think parking spaces should be limited to those belonging to residents.

3) "Are the spots dedicated to units or are they available to anyone?"

Each parking space is assigned to the car of a particular resident.
ehBeth

Reply Sat 2 May, 2015 01:22 pm
@gollum,
gollum wrote:

1) I think the co-op could refuse to issue a parking space based on that the license plate was obtained illegally.

1) how would you propose the co-op gather that evidence?

2) is there anything about the legality of the plates in the co-op statutes?
ehBeth

Reply Sat 2 May, 2015 01:23 pm
@gollum,
gollum wrote:

2) "Are they required to prove ownership of the vehicle they park in their spot?"

To the bast of my knowledge this is not presently done. However, I think parking spaces should be limited to those belonging to residents.

how would the co-op prove ownership of the vehicles?

is there anything about this is the current statutes of the co-op?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 2 May, 2015 01:24 pm
@gollum,
gollum wrote:
3) "Are the spots dedicated to units or are they available to anyone?"

Each parking space is assigned to the car of a particular resident.

is there anything in the statutes of the co-op that says anything about the provenance of the vehicle/s that the residents choose to park in a spot?
0 Replies

gollum

Reply Sat 2 May, 2015 01:35 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth-

1) I think the evidence would be gathered by looking at the relevant licensee plates.

2) Presently, I don't believe there is anything on the matter in the co-op's by-laws or House Rules. It would need to write a new rule.
ehBeth

Reply Sat 2 May, 2015 01:44 pm
@gollum,
You would have to prove that that the owner of the vehicle did not legally obtain their license in another state.

0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 2 May, 2015 01:45 pm
@gollum,
gollum wrote:

1) I think the evidence would be gathered by looking at the relevant licensee plates.

just looking at a plate wouldn't tell you if it had been obtained illegally
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sat 2 May, 2015 01:56 pm
Regarding out of state plates in Washington state:
Should local law enforcement notice the O/S plate for more than a few weeks, they will inquire. It could become expensive for scofflaws. Well, that could be just because of sales tax. But then, there's license fees, fines, etc. You would think those would be aggressively pursued as well.
0 Replies