Refrigerators, love and hate, where is the bacon

Reply Fri 19 Dec, 2014 10:40 pm
I've a small refrigerator freezer, on sale when I needed it, a few years ago now. It's the smallest I've had since the early days when I got a fridge by trading a pastel of a horse for it. Now there was a lame-o appliance, but it did work. Many years later, we also had a gallery fridge from St. Vincent de Paul's, not bad.

My present one isn't all bad, Home Depot - it makes me pay attention to what is going on in the chambers of content.

But, sometimes it is hard to find stuff. I label, or try to, religiously. Or, irreligiously.

Do you like yours? How to you store stuff? What do you keep out of the refrigerator? Are you into plastic containers?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 901 • Replies: 3
No top replies

CalamityJane

Reply Fri 19 Dec, 2014 10:44 pm
@ossobuco,
No plastic containers - if at all then glass!
I like my refrigerator, it's one of these french door thingies who have a big
freezer drawer at the bottom. My meat and vegetable bins are with humidity control which makes them last longer.
Since I go to the market quite often, I don't over buy things which eliminates labeling and anything that's way back in the fridge for a number of weeks, will be tossed.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 19 Dec, 2014 10:51 pm
@CalamityJane,
I'm a glass person too. In the freezer (I knew this from my lab days), one should leave some room at the top of the jar.

I used to buy as you do, often, local, but I'm not at the California coast anymore.
I cook a lot, so I bottle a lot. Labeling is my friend.
CalamityJane

Reply Fri 19 Dec, 2014 10:55 pm
@ossobuco,
That makes sense, osso and cooking a large meal and freezing it in portions is economically better for you too.
0 Replies