J.F.K. Begins Screening Passengers for Ebola

Miller

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2014 09:02 am
As Ebola continues to ravage West Africa and fears grow that the virus will spread around the globe, enhanced screenings began on Saturday at Kennedy Airport in New York.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/12/nyregion/in-us-screening-for-ebola-jfk-is-on-front-lines.html

mark noble

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2014 09:05 am
@Miller,
Consider the psychological impact on passengers passing hazmat-wearing sentinels.
Get your vaccine NOW!
Not.
Miller

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2014 09:25 am
@mark noble,
Any one found having a fever will be further evaluated. If you're going to JFK, be sure to leave early and I'd advise you to take your temp before entering the airport.

What a mess!
mark noble

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2014 10:04 am
@Miller,
Knowing the danger of ebola - I would ban ALL international flights. But working amongst hundreds of people (daily) in a 'marketplace' environment, watching them cough and sneeze openly, without even covering their mouths - knowing some have just holidayed in egypt, morocco, Usa, China, India, Cuba, and vitually anywhere bar antarctica - I see myself as having no chance if ebhv comes calling.
I don't care - Had a decent life - But 'SLACK' is an understatement as far as advanced preparations go.
And a lot of ppl cross into the uk via ferry or channel-tunnel (Not screened) Not that screening has a purpose (Outside of geopolitical scaremongering).
que sera...
Miller

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2014 11:18 am
@mark noble,
I just thought of something else. What about all the cargo ships that enter US waters through many major cities? How will the men working these ships be screened?
mark noble

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2014 01:01 pm
@Miller,
They wont.
Nor will anyone crossing land-borders.
Investing in companies that make protective clothing, masks, disinfectants etc, might be profitable.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2014 01:12 pm
@mark noble,
I think that is ridiculous Mark. Banning all international flights would cost billions of dollars, not to mention the incredible inconvenience for Americans and non-Americans alike.

They are not banning all international flights. What do you thin is going to happen?

This is completely ridiculous.

maxdancona

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2014 01:13 pm
@maxdancona,
For the record, screening passengers is a good idea. It will stop the spread and possibly save lives without much cost.

Closing the borders is a ridiculous overreaction.
0 Replies

mark noble

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2014 01:14 pm
@maxdancona,
Just stating what I'd do.
0 Replies

mark noble

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2014 01:17 pm
@maxdancona,
Billions of dollars?
No amount of money can bring back life.
rosborne979

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2014 02:15 pm
@Miller,
The best place to combat this outbreak is at its source(s). Until they get it under control in West Africa it's going to continue to leak out and cause limited flare-ups in random places. Even thought the chance of a pandemic are very low, the chance of isolated tragedies is very high. And the real tragedy is the ongoing loss of life in West Africa.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2014 02:21 pm
@mark noble,
mark noble wrote:

Billions of dollars?
No amount of money can bring back life.

There are 40 people who die in skiing accident each year in the US. You could save these 40 lives by shutting down all ski resorts.

Do you think we should do this? It will save a lot more lives than shutting down the border will (at a much smaller cost).
mark noble

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2014 03:37 pm
@maxdancona,
No.
But death by skiing is not contagious.
And is not the NO1 deadliest disease known to man.
Ebola IS.
ps - Boston has a case now, also.
maxdancona

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2014 03:40 pm
@mark noble,
What are you talking about. Ebola is not the deadliest disease known to man by any measure.

It is just the disease that happens to be in the news right now.
Joe Nation

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2014 03:43 pm
Ebola is not the deadliest disease known to man, it's not even the most contagious disease.

And Miller, they are only screening ARRIVING passengers.

Joe(Talk about panic stricken)Nation

PS: Enterovirus has killed 664 in the USA, mostly children. It's not the most contagious disease either.
0 Replies

mark noble

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2014 03:45 pm
@maxdancona,
Yes it is - By percentage of kill over survival rate.
Not overall deaths - That would be malaria.
West Nile, Lhasa and Hanta fight it out for 2nd slot.
Do your homework.
Google it.
maxdancona

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2014 03:52 pm
@mark noble,
I did my homework (and apparently I am also doing your homework).

Ebola has a 90% mortality rate untreated, which is significantly lowered to around 55% with modern supportive treatment. Hemorrhagic smallpox. Inhalational Anthrax, TSE, amoebic encephalitis all have mortality rates of over 95% with the best treatment available.

You are full of crap.
Miller

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2014 05:38 pm
A nurse at the Texas hospital has now been Dx with Ebola.
mark noble

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2014 05:57 pm
@Miller,
That was released Saturday.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2014 06:11 pm
@maxdancona,
Thank you, Max.
I was speaking to a Wall Street Journal Photog the other day, one of the reasons Ebola continues to spread is, he says, the communities (the people) in Liberia and Sierra Leone continue to want to bring patients home to die AND then >>>>>they feel compelled to wash the body before burial.

These actions bring with them incredible dangers, gallons of contaminated fluids are generated in the process and EVERYONE who come in close contact with any of it is at risk.

I feel for the people....

It's not the same here in the USA... Yes, a nurse is now infected, some protocol was not followed or was inadequate, but I wager she'll be treated and will survive.

What scares people about Ebola is ....it's a horrible death. Lots of blood oozing from eyes and terrible pain..... it's scary. BUT it's not the end of the world.

Joe(No, not yet, )Nation
0 Replies