CHRISTIAN FAMILIES WITH YOUNG CHILDREN- PLZ READ

Reply Sun 29 Dec, 2013 08:11 pm
My name is Makenzi Fox. I have been called by God to write a children's book to allow me to bring glory to Him through this book. This might sound crazy, but I am only 16 years old. I have never written a book nor do I know where to start. But what God called me to do is possible, for I trust God is omniscient and can do anything with anyone. I am just taking this first leap of faith and I trust God to do the rest. Anyways, if you have children, may you please ask them the first thing that comes to their minds when they think of The Christ, Our Savior? If they say anything else on the topic of God or additional comments, please leave those as well. Thank you for being supportive of God's plan for me and being a great help by leaving your children's comments. Smile
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 13 • Views: 5,597 • Replies: 66

maxdancona

Reply Sun 29 Dec, 2013 08:19 pm
@makenzifox,
Sorry Makenzi, but this maybe the wrong place for this type of request. This is a place for wild, sometimes hostile, questioning and debate. Most people here are not Christians. We are good people, but we tend to challenge religious beliefs (or any beliefs).

I am supportive of writing children's book, and I can even be supportive of your plan for you. I have a bit of trouble supporting God's plan for you seeing I am skeptical of the idea that God has a plan for anyone.

I wonder if there is a religious board that might be more supportive given your specific set of religious beliefs.

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 29 Dec, 2013 08:20 pm
@makenzifox,
Wow.

What if someone (as they enivitably will) responds that their children think of Christ in the same vein as they do Santa Claus and the Tooth Fairy?

If, as you claim, have a personal connection with Jesus then that is all you need to write your book.

Lay it out there. You. certainly, don't need some clever way to pursuade non-believing children.

If you are serious about your intention read the works of C.S. Lewis.

If you haven't already done so than I'm afraid I must assess that you are an amateur.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Sun 29 Dec, 2013 08:22 pm
@makenzifox,
I did ask my 8 year old daughter what is the first thing that comes to her mind when she thinks of "The Christ, Our Savior". She is being raised to be skeptical, her father is doesn't believe in God, but has been exposed to Christianity through her Pentacostal older cousins.

She said "Christmas" (for what it is worth).
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Sun 29 Dec, 2013 08:25 pm
@makenzifox,
Add this to your book.

http://imageshack.us/a/img546/8996/242b.gif
maxdancona

Reply Sun 29 Dec, 2013 08:27 pm
@jcboy,
She is 16 years old JcBoy.

You don't have to be quite so hostile.
0 Replies

Below viewing threshold (view)
maxdancona

Reply Sun 29 Dec, 2013 08:36 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
Most people here are not Christians?

Upon what do you base this assertion?

"We are good people"

Where is the proof of that?

God told me... on both counts.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 29 Dec, 2013 08:38 pm
@jcboy,
You are a foul jackass. Your sexual orientation, in this regard, is entirely immaterial. Gays are equal and they can, equally, be as disgusting as straights.

This is the sort of "fu*k you" to your face that wins no fans of any sub-group.

Feel good about your bilious response?

maxdancona

Reply Sun 29 Dec, 2013 08:38 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
You seem a bit more cranky than usual today, Finn.

Is everything OK?
jcboy

Reply Sun 29 Dec, 2013 08:40 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

You are a foul jackass. Your sexual orientation, in this regard, is entirely immaterial. Gays are equal and they can, equally, be as disgusting as straights.

This is the sort of "fu*k you" to your face that wins no fans of any sub-group.

Feel good about your bilious response?

Screw off! Okay now I feel good!
jespah

Reply Mon 30 Dec, 2013 08:05 am
@makenzifox,
Any writer, regardless of calling, needs to learn how to write. So start writing. Good stuff, bad stuff, completely off-topic stuff. Just start writing.

Your early work will stink. I can pretty much guarantee that. But writing ability does not spring out of you, fully formed, without work. It is a skill that you will need to master, to learn how to write compelling prose. And writing for children is not simpler. It is not a matter of dumbing down your 'regular' writing. It is appealing to a very different type of audience. I also strongly encourage you to read. Since you want to write a children's book (and recognize that writing for preschoolers is far different from writing for tweens), I urge you to read children's books. Read classics, like The Wind in the Willows and Charlotte's Web. But you should also read the top sellers on the NY Times Bestseller List and look at their lists for children's books (which they divide into chapter, pictures, etc.). Tastes have changed, and what appeals has changed over time. And don't forget that the people who buy children's books are almost always adults.

Even if you do not care about sales (and you should, as that will be how you make a living; even people called to the Lord's work have to buy groceries), they are an indicator of audience and popularity. If you want more than just your immediate family to read your work, you need to understand the marketplace.

I further encourage you to check out the NaNoWriMo Young Writers' Program as they help teens like you write books every year.

Best of luck to you in your endeavor. Writing is a fun and creative outlet.
0 Replies

makenzifox

Reply Mon 30 Dec, 2013 11:17 am
@jcboy,
I am very shocked by all of your responses. When you look at what you are responding back to me, all you need is love towards another. thank you for your time.
wmwcjr

Reply Tue 31 Dec, 2013 01:43 am
@Romeo Fabulini,
I have disagreed with you before, but I agree with you now.

Excellent post! Smile
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 31 Dec, 2013 02:18 am
@makenzifox,
makenzifox wrote:
I am very shocked by all of your responses.
When you look at what you are responding back to me,
all you need is love towards another. thank you for your time.
Makenzi, when u enter this forum,
u need to be mindful of Jesus's advice against throwing pearls before swine.

David
wmwcjr

Reply Tue 31 Dec, 2013 03:12 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Oooooo . . . that one burns! Laughing

I repeat myself:

Excellent post! Smile
OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 31 Dec, 2013 05:04 am
@wmwcjr,
Well, some posters were brutal to her.