I need advice. Can you help me, please?

Reply Thu 21 Nov, 2013 02:08 am
Here's the thing, I have the opportunity to skip several classes. This would save me 1.5 years of school. However, I wouldn't be as prepared as if I had taken my time. Also, I would miss being in the same classes as my sister. Then again, if I don't take this opportunity, people will be disappointed in me. Worst of all, I have until November 28th to make my choice. What's your advice?

jespah

Reply Thu 21 Nov, 2013 07:44 am
@PinkLipstick,
Don't do stuff - particularly when it directly impacts your future - because of others' perceived disappointments. They'll get over it and you'll be left with a worthless degree.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Thu 21 Nov, 2013 08:14 am
@PinkLipstick,
I don't get it. If it has been determined that you are above the material that is in these classes, and someone has told you that you can skip these classes, why wouldn't you?

Why do you feel you won't be "as prepared" if you take your time? You would be put into classes that are more your level, more challenging.

What grade level is this?
Were you advised by school counselors to skip these classes.?
dalehileman

Reply Thu 21 Nov, 2013 11:58 am
@PinkLipstick,
Pink, some of us don;t understand how skipping classes can accelerate your curriculum
PinkLipstick

Reply Thu 21 Nov, 2013 12:34 pm
@PUNKEY,
I've tried skipping classes before and it didn't work. For example, I skipped the basic chemistry class and went on to a higher chemistry course. I felt really lost in the class because I hadn't taken my time to learn the basics, so I had to withdraw from the class and take basic chemistry. After that, when I took a higher chemistry, I didn't feel lost at all and passed the class with an A.

Ever since then, I figured that the fundamentals and basics of any course need to be properly set down before building upon them. If they're not, there will be holes in my knowledge and everything will fall apart.

The classes offered to be skipped are some basic sciences and math. I was tested and did well.

As for challenging myself, I've also been receiving letters to join the honor roll. So, I was thinking of doing that and taking honors courses instead of skipping the classes all together.

Still, this is an opportunity to save 1.5 years of school. Would it be wrong of me not to take it?
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Thu 21 Nov, 2013 12:34 pm
Get out of school as soon as you can because teachers are a bad influence.
I was expelled from one school for "not trying" and was glad to go..Smile
As Winston Churchill said- "I never let schooling interfere with my education", meaning teachers and the rotten system were holding him back
PinkLipstick

Reply Thu 21 Nov, 2013 12:46 pm
@dalehileman,
In order to graduate, I need to take and pass certain courses. However, students aren't allowed to just register for any course. They have to show that they've learned the basics to enter, by taking the previous course or through testing. I'm allowed to take these courses right off the bat, essentially "skipping" these basic courses. If I do take them, it will take me 1.5 years to complete them all before I can take the next courses. That means I can graduate 1.5 years sooner.
0 Replies

PinkLipstick

Reply Thu 21 Nov, 2013 12:49 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
Hahaha! Thanks for the light hearted jest. My head was starting to hurt. I didn't sleep last night thinking things over.
roger

Reply Thu 21 Nov, 2013 12:55 pm
@PinkLipstick,
I kind of liked Romeo's answer, too.

I don't really feel qualified to answer, but if you're in college and facing another 1.5 years of living expenses, that is definately something I would consider. If you are in high school, well, taking honors courses might help on an admissions application.
PinkLipstick

Reply Thu 21 Nov, 2013 01:04 pm
@roger,
I'm in college and I have what's considered as a "free ride". My grants and scholarships cover everything. As for living expenses, I live with a parent, so I pay nothing in regards to that.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Thu 21 Nov, 2013 01:04 pm
If you can pass a test and get into the higher class, why not do it? You can always read the textbook for the lower class for fun.
PinkLipstick

Reply Thu 21 Nov, 2013 01:10 pm
@Mame,
Unfortunately, I'm not very likely to read a textbook just for fun.
roger

Reply Thu 21 Nov, 2013 01:31 pm
@PinkLipstick,
Any possibility you could skim the texts of the more advanced courses? That might give a clue as to whether the prerequisites are really skipable.

Just off hand, I would be more inclined to skip humanities than science and math, but again, that's just my inclination.
PinkLipstick

Reply Thu 21 Nov, 2013 02:29 pm
@roger,
I tried that with the Chemistry class before. I skimmed through it and thought it was doable. Atoms and bonds, it looked like simple stuff. However, during the class, they just skipped a bunch of stuff and started doing problems that I had no clue on how to go about even completing. I was familiar with chemistry, but I hadn't memorized all the elements and basic polyatomic ions with their charges that everyone else had spent the last class doing.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Thu 21 Nov, 2013 03:37 pm
I agree with Roger. You will need the basics for math and science classes.
PinkLipstick

Reply Thu 21 Nov, 2013 08:59 pm
@PUNKEY,
Alright then, I think I've made my decision. Thank you so much for your help! I feel much better now. I can finally go to sleep in peace Smile
0 Replies