mysteryman

Reply Wed 5 Feb, 2014 02:32 am
CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have known for years that you were a fantastic writer.

However, is it to early to put in my request for an autographed first edition?
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 5 Feb, 2014 06:06 am
Oh God, thank you all. You're very, very kind.

I have no idea whatsoever what the timetable is on these things.

The contract covers, egad, stuff on artwork for the cover. And, yeah, I know this is boilerplate but it still cracks me up - the movie rights.

We ended up going out for Vietnamese food last night.

The scanner (I had to scan the W9 form for royalties, plus the signature page, and then email them back) decided to throw up its figurative hands and say, "I can't do this any more!" And so we took the two pages (RP had printed them) and headed over to Fed Ex. So the guy asked if I had brought a thumb drive.

Ewps, no, 'cause I'm all over the place. He set it up so that I could scan and then email back to myself, using yahoo mail. Fed Ex was across the street from the Vietnamese place so we went there instead of the Stockyard.

Got the signed page back from the agent and we're goin' to town.

All sorts of random thoughts bubble up every now and then. They'll need to photograph me. I'll need to go to NY and meet them in person. Etc. etc.

When I called my folks (right after calling RP at work), my mother said, "Well, I was going to take a nap, but I can't sleep now!"
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 5 Feb, 2014 06:10 am
@Roberta,
I didn't want to say until there was something concrete. Seems silly now to have held back, but I was afraid I'd jinx it.

I will tell anyone who wants to hear (and anyone who doesn't, too. So there) -

Roberta is a patient, smart, and creative editor. She asked questions about the manuscript, helping me to polish it and eliminate inconsistencies and confusions. She was fun to work with!
Roberta

Reply Wed 5 Feb, 2014 06:36 am
@jespah,
It was with great trepidation that I agreed to do this. Why? Almost every time I did a job for someone I knew it ended badly. Why'd you make it so short (school paper). Because it was wordy, repetitious, and pompous. Why'd you take out all the fun stuff? Fun to you. Not fun to the reader. Etc.

To my great relief, jes welcomed my comments and questions. And she accepted all or most of the changes I made in the language. She was a pleasure to work with.

The more I got into the story, the more impressed I was. This was good! I honestly couldn't imagine that anyone would come up with anything better.

I just looked over this thread. Seeing how fast jes wrote this leaves me stunned. Thud.

jespah

Reply Wed 5 Feb, 2014 09:21 am
@Roberta,
Aw, thanks.

I think being in tune with each other helped a lot. A great writer not in tune with a great editor (and vice versa) is probably not going to produce great work.

I finally looked over my contract more closely. All sorts of stuff is in there, things like how much I get paid for heavily discounted sales, or for sales through third-party vendors, that kind of thing.

This is the start of one wild ride.
Roberta

Reply Wed 5 Feb, 2014 09:26 am
@jespah,
jes, I'm not all that knowledgeable about contracts. I know a little. If you want to ask me something, feel free.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Thu 6 Feb, 2014 12:04 am
Yikes! Well done, you two!
Roberta

Reply Thu 6 Feb, 2014 04:27 am
@margo,
Thanks, Margo, but this is jespah's accomplishment. I was just along for the ride.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 6 Feb, 2014 07:15 am
@margo,
Thanks!
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2014 08:40 am
I also have a completely unrelated story being featured on Wattpad!
http://www.wattpad.com/30606747-revved-up

Wattpad is LARGE - over 10 million registered users. Eek!
ossobuco

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2014 08:48 am
@jespah,
Whoo hoo! Off to look.
jespah

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2014 09:31 am
@ossobuco,
Thanks!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2014 10:12 am
That's wonderful news. All my best to you as an author.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2014 11:32 am
@jespah,
jespah wrote:
I am being published. No joke, no lie.

I totally missed this thread until just now. Congratulations!
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2014 05:00 pm
Oh, thank you both! Smile
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2014 11:24 pm
Congrats on your latest publication.

I started reading it. Too long for one sitting, but I'll be back. Gotta find out what happened.
Roberta

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2014 12:33 am
@Roberta,
Just finished reading. I shoulda been working.

Loved the story. Great detail. It's a gift. Wonderful characterizations. D-A-R-N-E-D good.
jespah

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2014 07:25 am
@Roberta,
Ha! Oh, thank you! Smile

I am not a F-L-O-O-Z-Y.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2014 11:38 am
November.

That is all.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Fri 31 Oct, 2014 12:38 pm
Doing it again this year. The teaser is (for realz!) this Latin translation by the ever-awesome George.

The story is called The Polymer Beat and about 26,000 words have already been written, so I'm looking to write 50,000 more in November.
0 Replies