Would these tattoos/piercing effect my ability to get a job as an accountant?

Reply Mon 21 Oct, 2013 05:29 pm
I want to work as an Accountant once I'm done school. Now, as an Accountant, I would constantly be wearing suits with long sleeve dress shirts. And, if I was invited to a company Christmas party or if it was an event in summer, I would wear a light long sleeve dress shirt.

I want a piercing on my left nipple.

As far as tattoos go, I want the following tattoos:
- On the underside of my left wrist, on the vain, I want the letters "INTJ" tattooed on there.
- On the underside of my right wrist, under the vain, I want the letters "Atheist" tattooed there.
- On my left oblique, I want a dragon tattooed there.
- On the upper portion of my right arm, I want a Tattoo of Roarschach holding a smiley fave button.
- On the upper portion of my left arm, I want a tattoo of a Madhatter and a bloody puzzle piece.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 10 • Views: 11,628 • Replies: 16
No top replies

Baldimo

Reply Mon 21 Oct, 2013 06:53 pm
@LTinkAspie20,
Rule of thumb: Don't get your tats where they will show while in business dress. If you a guy, Accountants tend to dress in long sleeve shirts and ties, so the wrist tats might show, these would be the only tats I would be concerned with. The rest of them will be covered by a shirt.

I have tats, and this is how I have judged where to get my tats. Upper left arm, back left shoulder and middle of my right calf. I wear a normal tie type out fit, and none of mine show. I do wear shorts to work in the summer so the calf one shows then, but my employer doesn't care, I don't deal with any customers face to face.
roger

Reply Mon 21 Oct, 2013 06:55 pm
@LTinkAspie20,
As long as your clients can't see them when you are dressed for work, there shouldn't be a problem. Any kind of tattoos on the face, neck, or hands is going to be very offputting - to the extent that you will be unemployable. Even the biker crowd wants its professionals to look professional.
Mame

Reply Mon 21 Oct, 2013 07:00 pm
@LTinkAspie20,
No more than your spelling would - it's not 'effect', it's 'affect'...

and really, if you're not showing them, it wouldn't matter what they were, so we don't need to know that
chai2

Reply Mon 21 Oct, 2013 07:02 pm
@Mame,
and it's vein, not vain.

even accountants have to spell.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Mon 21 Oct, 2013 07:03 pm
By the way, I like the INTJ tattoo, that's cool
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Mon 21 Oct, 2013 07:47 pm
@roger,
he could be a stagehand...
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 21 Oct, 2013 08:50 pm
@LTinkAspie20,
Accountants don't always wear suits with long sleeve dress shirts. Different offices have different dress codes and you don't want to stick out in a non-suity office if you're always suited up. People will notice and comment.

I work in one of the most conservative companies in a conservative industry and when there are non-client days (most days for the accountants) there are no suit jackets worn when people are at their desks, and men often wear either short sleeved shirts or roll up their sleeves.

It doesn't matter what your tattoos are so much as where they are. Make sure they're in locations that are not going to be visible until you are 100% secure in your career and know 100% what the local/industry dress codes are.

I've got three tats right now. Only one can ever be seen at work - and that's in the summer if I'm wearing a particular style of shoe.

Since I'm getting close to retirement, I'm not going to be quite as cautious about where the next ink will be.
0 Replies

Kolyo

Reply Tue 22 Oct, 2013 04:55 pm
@LTinkAspie20,
LTinkAspie20 wrote:

- On the underside of my right wrist, under the vain, I want the letters "Atheist" tattooed there.

Definitely don't get that one.

Don't make it any easier for religious nut-jobs to identify you as an atheist than it already is.
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Tue 22 Oct, 2013 05:07 pm
You don't say where you reside. To some extent, whether or not tattoos will have a negative effect on your career of choice is a matter f geography. Here in Hawaii, for example, no job interviewer would give your tats a second glance (except,perhaps, to admire them). Nearly everyone here -- male and female -- has tattoos, sometimes even facial ones, the kind you can't possibly hide.

Me, I stand out like a sore thumb, having no tattoos at all. I still haven't been able to come up with a good reason why I would want one.
Foofie

Reply Fri 25 Oct, 2013 11:02 am
In my opinion, employers have the need to give a reason to an employee that was not picked for a hoped for promotion, and why it was given to another employee. With that in mind, once upon a time, it sufficed for an employer to just say to the employee, that didn't get the promotion, that the other employee had more college, a different degree, etc. Little by little, as more employees went to college, and even got business degrees, rather than liberal arts degrees, other criteria had to be found. Perhaps, the time has arrived when being tatooless can be a criterion for one employee getting a promotion and another not getting it? Plus, hiding a tatoo on one's calf, etc.may not be adequate when one is "commanded" to attend a summer pool party to show that one is a good team player.

A tatoo engenders different reactions. Some people might think it is a reason to want to be another's friend. And, other people (a new boss one is assigned to?) might find it alienating for one reason or another. It is a crapshoot. It is your choice to gamble or not.
chai2

Reply Fri 25 Oct, 2013 02:19 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Lustig Andrei wrote:

Nearly everyone here -- male and female -- has tattoos, sometimes even facial ones, the kind you can't possibly hide.

Me, I stand out like a sore thumb, having no tattoos at all. I still haven't been able to come up with a good reason why I would want one.

It's the same where I live. Everyone it seems has ink, from someone who had to get their parents permission, to great grandmothers.

I have to stop to think that it might be a really big deal in places.

Yeah, having one on your face or throat could be a problem, but on arms/legs/torso, nope, unless it was obscene or something.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 27 Oct, 2013 03:50 pm
@LTinkAspie20,
LTinkAspie20 wrote:

I want to work as an Accountant once I'm done school. Now, as an Accountant, I would constantly be wearing suits with long sleeve dress shirts. And, if I was invited to a company Christmas party or if it was an event in summer, I would wear a light long sleeve dress shirt.

I want a piercing on my left nipple.

As far as tattoos go, I want the following tattoos:
- On the underside of my left wrist, on the vain, I want the letters "INTJ" tattooed on there.
- On my left oblique, I want a dragon tattooed there.
- On the upper portion of my right arm, I want a Tattoo of Roarschach holding a smiley fave button.
- On the upper portion of my left arm, I want a tattoo of a Madhatter and a bloody puzzle piece.

Seriously?

You've obviously given this tattoo stuff a lot of thought, which suggests it's important to you, however you also, obviously, want to be able to earn a living in your chosen field.

Do what you want, but understand (as I'm sure you do) that the sort of tattooing you've described and a position in the accounting field are not very compatible.

The Feds don't considered the tattooed a protected class and I doubt any state does either.

Unless you feel pretty sure you can obtain an accountant position at a record label, a film studio, a tattoo parlor chain, or the Elect Elizabeth Warren in 2016 Campaign, reconsider your skin art vision, or get used to sweating.

All normal considerations aside, the only expressed choice of tattoos (which I have a sneaking suspicion was the primary reason for your post) which might be particularly problematic is the "Atheist" one. Aside from the liberal bogeyman notion of a right-wing religious nut employer who might fire you on the spot, you could run afoul of the PC police and their vigilent protection of the masses from the dread offense.

Come to think of it though, the PC Police, no matter their senisitivity to sensitivity, would unlikely ever find Atheist insensitive let alone offense. Now if you want "Jesus Saves," that would really be a problem.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 27 Oct, 2013 05:14 pm
@Foofie,
Foofie wrote:

In my opinion, employers have the need to give a reason to an employee that was not picked for a hoped for promotion, and why it was given to another employee.

You're right. That is opinion.
0 Replies

kingaly

Reply Mon 28 Oct, 2013 03:50 pm
@Baldimo,
I agree with Baldimo here. Although i no longer work for corporate America. To keep your yourself cover you don't want anything that will show.
The piercing is no big deal, but the tatts on the wrist might show once you extend your hand out for a handshake, to grab something, etc.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 29 Oct, 2013 06:33 am
@LTinkAspie20,
Many businesses are also business casual so keep that in mind. In many cases, you only wear suits when meeting with/dealing with a client. Many accountants work within a business and do not regularly see clients so you may be dressed in business casual which often times would be short sleeves during warmer times of year. You could still if you want wear long sleeves year round I suppose if you were comfortable with that.

Like someone said - it is best that your tattoos are covered - it won't necessarily cause you not to get a job if you can view them, but you are always better off being more converstive looking in such a role.

I work in an accounting type role within a large organization. The dress tends more toward the conservative.
chai2

Reply Tue 29 Oct, 2013 06:50 am
@Linkat,
A couple of years ago I was temping at a national insurance company. There was this guy, "John" there who was extremely clean cut and spruce. This one young woman had such a crush on him she called him "John Von Gorgeous"

Really nice guy, quiet, consciencious, very well mannered.

At one point, we developed a deeper relationship, meaning I did something that caused him to open up to me, and we had some more personal conversations about our lives.

He showed me some pictures of himself on his own time....he was covered with tats and piercings, some really, Really wild. As we got to know each other, I learned a lot of other things that were much more surprising/shocking than his body art. He was still a very nice, quiet consciencious well mannered person, it's just that there was a lot more to him, meaning I know I only scratched the surface..
He just always work long sleeves, and kept his shirt buttoned.
I really admired John in how he kept his personal life personal, and felt, well, honored that he trusted me enough to open up a little.

If your body art is important to you, I feel it's worth the inconvenience of covering it up if it doesn't fit with your workplace. Just make sure it's in a place on your body you can cover up.
0 Replies