Reply Mon 9 Sep, 2013 11:39 pm
What is a lexicon? How would I write the following words: sand goanna, dog, mosquito, spear, child, man, stone, prickle, and rabbit? How would I write rules describing the allomorphic variations in the forms of any of the morphemes?

jespah

Reply Tue 10 Sep, 2013 06:12 am
@Joystar77,
Ain't homework a pain?

This is likely covered in your linguistics class, yes?
dalehileman

Reply Tue 10 Sep, 2013 10:29 am
@Joystar77,
Quote:
What is a lexicon?
http://onelook.com/?w=lexicon&ls=a

In my vast ignorance a lexicon is a dictionary

Quote:
How would I write rules…...
ruleshttps://www.google.ca/#q=allomorphic+variation+in+the+forms+of+morphemes&spell=1

Quote:
How would I write the following words: sand goanna….,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sand_goanna

I daresay your examples present a challenge but before the Average Clods amongst us (me), you must present a few examples representing these allomorphic variations

Joy if I've been of no help it's because your knowledge of the language must far surpass mine
Joystar77

Reply Tue 10 Sep, 2013 11:16 am
@jespah,
Jespah, actually my instructor doesn't use a textbook and doesn't use any type of PowerPoint slides. All my instructor has talked about is the history of linguistics. In response to your question, no homework is not a pain. Its only a pain when there is no clear explanation being given on homework that has been assigned and leaves a person clueless. I would say that there are some instructors who need to be more clear and concise when assigning homework.
Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 10 Sep, 2013 11:20 am
@Joystar77,
Joystar77 wrote:

Jespah, actually my instructor doesn't use a textbook and doesn't use any type of PowerPoint slides. All my instructor has talked about is the history of linguistics. In response to your question, no homework is not a pain. Its only a pain when there is no clear explanation being given on homework that has been assigned and leaves a person clueless. I would say that there are some instructors who need to be more clear and concise when assigning homework.

I would say there are some students who need to be a bit more forceful in asking their instructors to be a bit more clear and concise! Wink
jespah

Reply Tue 10 Sep, 2013 11:48 am
@Joystar77,
Understood, but it's like Frank says - the student should request clarification when it comes to assignments.

Now, be that as it may, definitions can be had from Wikipedia and the like but that should not be a primary source. Instead - big hint here - go to Wikipedia, look up what you need to and then look at their sources (e. g. their linked footnotes).

A lexicon is generally seen as a dictionary although it's not necessarily just words that are being defined. It is also pieces such as prefixes when you are talking about a lexicon as a linguistic term of art. As is the case in many disciplines, we have a generalized meaning for a word but then the discipline itself often uses the same word but it's in the context of the discipline's own vocabulary. And your professor, dollars to donuts, is using the term as a term of art rather than the generalized definition.
Joystar77

Reply Tue 10 Sep, 2013 12:02 pm
@dalehileman,
dalehilman, Will you please don't make a reference or point out in any such way that I am ignorant? If you want to know the truth, I am in a Linguistics class but my professor has not gone over this and doesn't use a PowerPoint slides or a textbook. All he has done is talk about the history of linguistics (I must say that it is totally boring). Since, you have mentioned a lexicon being a dictionary then which one am I suppose to use? I mean there are so many different types of dictionaries such as Bilingual Dictionary, Monolingual Dictionary, Etymological Dictionary, Crossword Dictionary, Rhyming Dictionary, Mini Dictionary, Pocket Dictionary, Thesaurus, and Glossary. The kinds of dictionaries are as follows: Accounting Dictionary, Business Studies Dictionary, Economics Dictionary, Art Dictionary, Math Dictionary, History Dictionary, Psychology Dictionary, Biographical Dictionary, Dream Dictionary, ESL Dictionary, High Tech Dictionary, Idiom Dictionary, Encyclopedia Dictionary, Picture Dictionary, Medical Dictionary, Music Dictionary, and Merriam Webster Dictionary. How am I supposed to know which dictionary to use when there are so many different types and kinds of dictionaries?

I think that when you just say write a lexicon for the following words that is way too broad or general. How come? Well, how am I suppose to know what the instructor is looking for? For example, I searched online for the word "sand goanna" which form of the word am I suppose to use such as pragmatic or syntactic? What if there is a noun, verb, and adjective for the word am I suppose to write all those down? Should I write the word down from a General Dictionary or use the translations, meanings, definitions in the Linguistics Dictionary? The site that you mentioned about how to write rules doesn't come up. I wouldn't say that my knowledge of the language would far surpass yours if I am in an introduction course of linguistics. If you can answer my questions on here, then please do so.

Joystar77

Reply Tue 10 Sep, 2013 12:10 pm
@jespah,
So, are you saying that I am supposed to use Wikipedia? What type of dictionary am I suppose to use when there is so many different kinds? My professor doesn't seem to care too much because when I have asked for clarification about how to write these, he just says do what you think is best. I thought to myself that if you end up failing me for this course, then I am going to file a complaint against him for not being willing to help the students and answer there questions directly. If it's used in the term as an art then should I use a General Dictionary or Linguistics Dictionary?
Joystar77

Reply Tue 10 Sep, 2013 12:13 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank, I have tried and this instructor seems to really not care about what his students do. When I went up and asked him about what specifically he was looking for, he came back with the response you do what you think is best. In the back of mind, I am thinking to myself that if he fails me for this course I am going to file a petition and also a complaint for him not caring about the students or willing to help when the students needed it. There is only so much control that a student has until it is out of their hands.
dalehileman

Reply Tue 10 Sep, 2013 01:56 pm
@Joystar77,
Quote:
dalehilman, Will you please don't make a reference or point out in any such way that I am ignorant?
I didn't realize that I had, I only supposed whimsical. Anyhow my most abject apologies if I seemed rude

Quote:
Since, you have mentioned a lexicon being a dictionary then which one am I suppose to use? I mean there are so many different types of dictionaries…….
I wish I could help you Joy

Quote:
The site that you mentioned about how to write rules doesn't come up.
Sorry Joy I sometimes miss the mark

Quote:
If you can answer my questions on here, then please do so.
I'll try, if you can word you q in common language familiar to the Typical Blockhead (me). But you might start with your instructor himself; he might be less formidable than you imagine
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Tue 10 Sep, 2013 03:39 pm
@Joystar77,
Actually I'm only saying to use Wikipedia as a jumping-off point. I would not cite it. It would not be the end of my research. It would be the start. After all, you have to define terms, right? So start at least with a generalized idea of what the terms mean.

Would I use a Linguistics dictionary if I were in your shoes? Hell, yeah.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 10 Sep, 2013 03:50 pm
@Joystar77,
Are you studying at a university? I'm a little behind the times, but when I studied and worked and studied and worked, and otherwise was just plain interested, I used to go to the university research library. I could probably live in one if they gave me a carrel and had an in-library restaurant. Oh, and a pillow.

I do know that at least some university libraries are in flux these days, but not that long ago, they were treasure chests of information. That is where I would go first, if I were near a good university. I think they have people who can help - but I never asked, so I'm not sure of that.

Meantime, I'd hit the internet hard, some of what you will read will give sources.

I agree with others, your teacher seems on the vague side, ask him or her where to look.
Edit, I see you've talked with him. Grrrrrrrrrrr.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 10 Sep, 2013 04:07 pm
I will admit two things - linguistics, anything I've ever read about the subject, has been beyond my ken.
The other is that I'm a word lover, enjoy word play, word sounds, associations, imagery, history.

I think your teacher is testing you all for something, let's say grasping his question. For all I know, he may be right, since I don't get (yet) linguistics.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 10 Sep, 2013 04:11 pm
@Joystar77,
What grade are you in?
dalehileman

Reply Tue 10 Sep, 2013 04:34 pm
@ehBeth,
Joy, Beth isn't being nosy. Sometimes we can better address a q when we know something about the contributor. Without revealing anything critical to ID: age, sex, nat'l or eth, ed., fam, relig, etc
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Tue 10 Sep, 2013 11:35 pm
from dictionary.com

LEXICON:
Quote:
4. Linguistics .
a. the total inventory of morphemes in a given language.
b. the inventory of base morphemes plus their combinations with derivational morphemes.

MORPHEME:
Quote:
mor·pheme/ˈmɔrfim/ Show Spelled [mawr-feem] Show IPA
noun Linguistics .
any of the minimal grammatical units of a language, each constituting a word or meaningful part of a word, that cannot be divided into smaller independent grammatical parts, as the, write, or the -ed of waited. Compare allomorph ( def 2 ) , morph ( def 1

ALLOMORPH:

Quote:
2. Linguistics . one of the alternate contextually determined phonological shapes of a morpheme, as en in oxen, which is an allomorph of the English plural morpheme. Compare morph.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Tue 10 Sep, 2013 11:52 pm
so I would suspect a lexicon in this case would be all the words your instructor gave you, plus sand by itself as well as in sand goanna, which is a patricular form of lizard. All of them are nouns, though prickle can be used as a verb as well. from the definition of allomorph, it would seem that child and man have allomorphic forms of the usual English plural -s, i.e. children, men. The others all take the -s. Oop, mosquito can be either mosquitoes or nmisquitos (-es would be a conditioned allomorph).
0 Replies