Effect of Running

gollum

Reply Sat 16 Jun, 2012 04:35 pm
I don't usually run. Two days ago I ran in a 3-1/2 Corporate Challenge race. Now the back portion of my legs between my knees and my behind hurts whenever I move.

Is there anything I can do for it?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 5 • Views: 2,948 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sat 16 Jun, 2012 04:38 pm
@gollum,
This is for strained calf muscles, but mostly applies to strained thigh muscles too.

http://www.physioroom.com/injuries/calf_and_shin/calf_strain_full.php

Here's an excerpt:

Quote:
Resting may be the common sense approach, but it is one that is often ignored by competitive athletes. This is unwise, since it does not take much to turn a grade one Calf muscle strain into a grade two, or a grade two Calf strain into a grade three. As a general rule, grade one Calf strains should be rested from sporting activity for about 3 weeks and grade two injuries for about 4 to 6 weeks. In the case of a complete rupture, the Calf muscle will have to be repaired surgically and the rehabilitation afterwards will take about 3 months.

The immediate treatment of a Calf muscle injury consists of the RICE protocol - rest, ice, compression and elevation (never apply ice directly to the skin). This is aimed at reducing the bleeding and secondary tissue damage within the Calf muscle. The Calf should be rested in an elevated position with an Ice Pack applied for twenty minutes every two hours, if practical. A Compression Bandage should be applied to limit bleeding and swelling in the tissues. Anti inflammatory medication prescribed by a doctor or Topical Anti Inflammatory Gel can be effective in relieving pain.

After the early stages have been spent resting, more active rehabilitation can be started. Gentle resistance exercises using Resistance Bands and stretching are important as they help to align the scar tissue which forms during the healing process. By aligning the scar tissue along the normal lines of stress the tensile strength of the healing Calf muscle is enhanced.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sat 16 Jun, 2012 04:41 pm
Here's their specific page on thigh muscle strain:

http://www.physioroom.com/injuries/hip_and_thigh/thigh_strain_full.php
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sat 16 Jun, 2012 05:25 pm
@gollum,
My tried-and-true method was epsom salt soaks...2x per day - early in the day and just before bedtime. These salts draw out the toxins (lactic acid) from your body.

I'd advise drinking lots of water to flush your body of lactic acid...even now.

For the future in order to avoid that sort of pain it's advisable to train a bit before attempting such a feat. A month or so of running 3 - 4x per week of similar distance could be adequate.
0 Replies

harveysmith27

Reply Mon 27 Aug, 2012 04:30 am
There are numerous effects of running.
First thing it is very good exercise it helps to keep our body fit and fine.
and
ncreased metabolism
balanced weight (if you are skinny, you probably wont lose weight, otherwise you will)
More active and alert brain
feeling of acomplishment everyday
increased endurance
increased speed
increased confidence
increased stamina
better coordination
muscle gain
you will breath better
Makes you better in other sports too
bad:
0 Replies

Monro

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2012 12:08 am
@gollum,
Running is best cardio exercise.It is not an art or tough technique,every one can easily do it.It burns fats and gives strength to muscles.It normalizes muscles tone.Reduces chances of injuries.Increases stamina and reduce diseases threats.
0 Replies