Food Truck Recipes - Portland, Oregon and other places

Reply Thu 7 Jun, 2012 02:01 pm
http://www.saveur.com/gallery/Portland-Food-Truck-Recipes/1

If I ever get to Portland, their somewhat famous food trucks would be something I'd want to check out.

Do you eat food from food trucks?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 2,827 • Replies: 14
No top replies

InfraBlue

Reply Thu 7 Jun, 2012 03:29 pm
Yeah, there's a restaurant that brings a food truck around my work in the mornings. They're pretty good, standard fare Mexican, but I don't regularly buy from them. A lot of other people do, though.

When we were in Maui for our honeymoon a few years ago a taco truck happened to park across the street from our hotel, and we hit it up a couple of times for their tacos to see how well they did them in Hawaii. The guy running it was Mexican, and the tacos were pretty authentic. He put pineapple in the salsa, though. It seems everything in Hawaii has pineapple in it.

There was an article earlier this week in the NY Times about Americans running high end food trucks in Paris. Apparently, the Parisians have been relatively receptive.
Linkat

Reply Thu 7 Jun, 2012 03:44 pm
@ossobuco,
Yes they are getting popular in Boston as well.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 7 Jun, 2012 03:44 pm
@InfraBlue,
We used to get burritos on construction sites if we were there at the right time of day; there was a good mariscos truck that came to our office building every day.... first I'd learned (back then) of small soft tacos, so good.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 7 Jun, 2012 03:47 pm
@Linkat,
Here is some of the "best ones"
http://www.boston.com/lifestyle/food/gallery/foodtrucks/
ossobuco

Reply Thu 7 Jun, 2012 03:48 pm
@InfraBlue,
Pizza purist (of sorts) that I am, I can only stare at pizzas with ham and pineapple..
I've never eaten 'italian' from a truck, except at a truck in a park in rome that had mostly cold drinks, and the odd bunch of tramezzini sandwiches; that's when I fell in love with peach ice tea (so not like me to mix fruit and tea, but it was there and it was cold and probably sugary and hit the spot). I remember these things for a long time - there was the orange Fanta I got outside the pyramids in Mexico City, also on a hot day. Man was that good. Don't remember that that was from a truck though. 'Course, the peach ice tea was Lipton's and the Fanta is a coke product..
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Thu 7 Jun, 2012 03:48 pm
It used to be all hotdog carts here, then pizza. Recently I've had some really unexpected food, gourmet goodness. There's an awesome Thai truck that parks not too far from my house. I'm becoming quite addicted.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 7 Jun, 2012 03:54 pm
@Ceili,
Oh, that would be me, too, Ceili.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 7 Jun, 2012 03:55 pm
@Linkat,
Thanks for the link, Link. Off to study boston food trucks..
same to Infra Blue, just caught that that is a NYT link.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 7 Jun, 2012 04:08 pm
@ossobuco,
We do! We live close to the infamous Cartlandia pod so we go there once in a while. Right now it's just too wet and cold to sit outside to eat though.

You can get some really excellent food at the trucks here.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 7 Jun, 2012 04:17 pm
Ok, this gets my attention -

From Roxy's Grilled Cheese -
Pictured: The "Mighty Rib" contains fontina, braised short rib, and caramelized onions.

http://cache.boston.com/bonzai-fba/Original_Photo/2011/08/15/roxy2__1313443126_8487.jpg

hmmm -

LEFTY’S SILVER CART
Check for current locations
Take just one bite of these crazy vegetarian sandwiches and you will be hooked. The heavenly Granny-B-Good, slices of tart green apple and gooey cheddar, wedged in grilled sourdough, is paired with a side of Taza chocolate.
Pictured: Matthew Pidge.

http://cache.boston.com/bonzai-fba/Original_Photo/2011/06/07/Rudick_leftyssilvercart72_g__1307463395_6606.jpg
Linkat

Reply Fri 8 Jun, 2012 07:12 am
@ossobuco,
Yeah I saw that grilled cheese and thought hmmm, might have to try that one.

I start a new job on Monday and it is a possibility they may have food trucks near where my new office will be - much more likely than where I am now. This might be a good thing (or maybe not)
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Fri 8 Jun, 2012 07:36 am
@ossobuco,
I haven't eaten from these newfangled food trucks. Admittedly sometimes the food seems kind of interesting; but, never to a great enough degree that I have wanted to try it. A truck hawking grilled cheese sandwiches is unlikely to lure me in as I am to finicky when it comes to those. If they are selling other items, it may interest me for a few seconds; but, not necessarily long enough to pull me over and get me to buy.

The Great Food Truck Race (Food Network, 3 series so far), has interested me, mainly because I like watching competition shows and I like food shows; however, it hasn't made me want to wander about looking for a food truck. It would take something really special to get me to want to try one of them.

I also have concerns about sanitary conditions.
In a conventional restaurant, deli, food place, the money exchange is between the customer and someone not handling food. In these trucks, a naked hand handles the money then goes off and handles food. There doesn't seem to be any hand wash before they handle more food.

Linkat

Reply Fri 8 Jun, 2012 09:02 am
@Sturgis,
I like to live on the edge....
Sturgis

Reply Fri 8 Jun, 2012 09:43 am
@Linkat,
Oh so do I as can be evidenced by my brushes with death.

And I seem to have absolutely no problem buying a hot dog from someone selling them on a street corner who doesn't wash his hands before handing me the item. His hands are on the hot dog roll, and the money and then....and this is the frightening part...they descend into his pockets where he keeps the paper money which plenty of others have handled. They also go swirling around in his jacket pockets during the colder weather when he tries to keep them warm. Makes me wonder why I'd suddenly be worried about a food truck being sanitary.

0 Replies