WHAT MADE YOU GRIMACE & GRIT YOUR TEETH TODAY?

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2014 02:23 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

Grit your teeth and smile.
Good news sometimes is necessary.
We all have to put up with it 1ce in a while.
0 Replies

vonny

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2014 02:26 pm
@Butrflynet,
Thank you. Your posts are always very helpful.

It may have come to nothing - thank goodness - but at least I felt better prepared when I did go. My doctor did the right thing in sending me - just glad that the underlying problem seemed to have sorted itself out.
0 Replies

Lordyaswas

Reply Sun 28 Sep, 2014 11:18 pm
Very......
Slow.......
Pages........
On........
A.......
K........
For.......
Hours........
Today........
So......
Am.......
Giving......
Up........
Aaaaargh!.......
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2014 07:59 am

someone in building maintenance oiled the squeaky men's room door this morning.

why would someone do such a thing??

it's been that way for years.

it was great -- it sounded like a door in a haunted house.

plus it prevented collisions for those coming around the corner...
chai2

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2014 08:18 am
@Region Philbis,
Don't count that it was someone from maintenance. It might have been someone who was sick and tired of listening to that creaking.

Years ago, when I worked in a nursing home in Ft. Lauderdale, the door that separated the residents dining room from the employee lunch room creaked like that.
After asking maintenance multiple times (and filling out their forms....jesus, a form for a squeaking door) I just brought a can of WD40 from home and fixed it.

The maint guys got mad at me for doing it, asking me why I didn't tell them. Shocked

They hated me. I was always pointing out bothersome things like leaking faucets in residents rooms, and bringing them tv remotes that needed new batteries, or programing. It really put a cramp in their style apparently, to do things for the people who lived there.

Oh, and then there was the time there was a fire drill. When we had one, after securing the residents, we were all supposed to meet in the first floor lobby. When I arrived they told me I broke the rules because I came down the stairs from the 2nd floor. I pointed out that there were signs that said "Do not use elevators in case of fire." They said there wasn't a fire, it was a drill. I said I couldn't know that. What if a fire had occured right at that time? I said I wasn't going to get trapped in an elevator if there was a fire.

And then there was the time..... Laughing
Lordyaswas

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2014 08:59 am
@chai2,
I worked in a place that had a note on the rear Fire Door: Do not use the Fire Bucket to prop open this door.
On the Fire Bucket was : Do not use this Fire Bucket to prop open the Fire Door.

You can guess the rest....
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2014 09:16 am
Health insurance companies
0 Replies

vonny

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2014 12:50 pm
Opticians
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 10 Oct, 2014 01:06 pm
I keep some newspaper website contact with places I used to live and still have friends. The small town I last lived in has a paywall limit of 5 clicks a month. Grrrr.

The San Francisco Chronicle (never lived there but passels of friends do) started a paywall and kept a sort of cheesy advertise-y newspage, SFGate, for the non payers, and did, in the midst of all the celebrity watching (etc.) actually have some good news articles, easy to find. And some good local sports news, that I like to follow. Two days ago, they changed the website for SFGate for the worse: so far all commenters call it a horrible mess. People are quitting it in droves, including me. 'Til now, I've read the SFWeekly (sorta like Village Voice) once in a while, and San Jose Mercury News once in a while. Ok, I'll give mercurynews a chance.
Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

Which brings up Slate, which changed format, for the worse to me, some months ago. Not as bad as SFGate's new format, but one I look at about 1/10 if what I used to.

It's not that I'm news deprived - I follow, off and on, 20-40 world news sites, and a slew of blogs when I'm in the mood - just that I liked the reading contact re the old home towns.
Los Angeles Times, Paywall after fifteen reads, which is nada for an old LA native, but not as scant as the NYTimes. So again, I read LAWeekly, once in a while.

In my larger view, I think this newspaper problem (and I see their side as well) really puts a class barrier in the way of receiving timely information in a mildly trustworthy way.
vonny

Reply Mon 20 Oct, 2014 04:30 am
The weather report! Ex-hurricane Gonzalo is heading towards the UK. Ex-hurricane, but still pretty severe weather expected. The trees are mostly in full leaf, and the ground is pretty wet, so it means trees down and disruption on the roads and to the power supplies - ah well, I guess that's what we must expect in autumn Twisted Evil
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 20 Oct, 2014 04:53 am
@vonny,
There is a storm system building in the Gulf of Mexico, but it is expected to bypass Texas for western Florida.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 20 Oct, 2014 04:58 am
@ossobuco,
whats a "paywall"?
farmerman

Reply Mon 20 Oct, 2014 04:59 am
@ossobuco,
whats a "paywall"?
Is that some point where you have to start paying for access to some content?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 20 Oct, 2014 05:06 am
@farmerman,
A lot of newspapers' websites have one: for example, unless you subscribe to the paper for x dollars, you can't see more than ten articles a month at the New York Times. At the LA Times, it's 15 a month. At the Washington Post, it's 20. At the SF Chronicle, they have changed a not too awful free section of the paper, SFGate, into a very awful one, so seeing any serious articles is not possible without a subscription. Wall Street Journal only lets some articles be seen sans subscription but I don't remember the exact process.

Other websites have this going on too.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 20 Oct, 2014 06:18 am
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

A lot of newspapers' websites have one: for example, unless you subscribe to the paper for x dollars, you can't see more than ten articles a month at the New York Times. At the LA Times, it's 15 a month. At the Washington Post, it's 20. At the SF Chronicle, they have changed a not too awful free section of the paper, SFGate, into a very awful one, so seeing any serious articles is not possible without a subscription. Wall Street Journal only lets some articles be seen sans subscription but I don't remember the exact process.

Other websites have this going on too.
Is there a reason that thay shud give away their property for free ???
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2014 04:49 pm
people responding to people I have on ignore and really nice threads being totally trashed

hingehead

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2014 04:52 pm
@farmerman,
when you have a paywall and a firewall your money goes up in smoke. ooops, wrong thread.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2014 04:56 pm
@ehBeth,
-- most of my preferred news sites changing their formats for people with smart phones instead of desktops or lap tops, making these long bright sites total fuckeroos of hodgepodge.

Just yesterday, The Guardian. Also, NYTimes, Slate, and the already poor but readable SFGate (what a heinous mess that one is).
ossobuco

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2014 06:23 pm
@ossobuco,
Adds, cripes, sports is doing it too, which is slightly less annoying than with major newspapers' front pages.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2014 06:45 pm
Headlines that include "You are going to cry -" "Your heart will melt -"
Here is one I just picked up on:
"13 Times the Toy Story Franchise Made You Weep Uncontrollably"

Stop it already.
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 02:44:03