Should homeschoolers be allowed to play on public school teams?

boomerang

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2012 11:36 am
In other, related news, here's an interesting article about special education students and what more mainstream school athletics can do for them: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/13/sports/unified-sports-teams-open-doors-for-special-education-students.html?pagewanted=1&_r=2&ref=education
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2012 12:45 pm
@Ceili,
Quote:
I think sport in the US is a wee bit different though, in that, it has been something that has always seemed to cross the dividing lines. It's the only thing in the US that doesn't care what colour, religion, where you're from, what you do, how fat you are, if you're handicapped or gay... everyone can be on the bandwagon, everyone can join the club, there's an understanding among fans that if you're wearing that jersey or hat, you'r family... At least until the game is over.
Every time I've been south of the border and we are in a boring long line up, my husband and I have a running joke. He'll starts talking about sports and the whole line of people eventually jump in and start talking, it's amazing. I keep waiting for the day people will look at him like he's from Mars, hasn't happened yet. People don't feel threatened or uncomfortable talking about sports. It may seem like a pack mentality, but I think it's more than that, it's an identity of common ground.

I think that is very insightful. I agree. And thank goodness for that common ground. There is such a mix of religions, nationalities, cultures, ideas - thus the "Great American Melting Pot". It needs some common ground at some level.

I think organized sports - whether in school or in the community can be an amazing thing...one that encourages a child to be the best they can be - and not just in sports. But it can also be a horrible experience. People are why. Some folks can take a sport and translate it into so much more than just winning or losing. Those folks are amazing coaches and have found the ability to speak wisdom to their players. Wisdom that those players can carry with them in everything they do. While others just don't - or can't.

I don't mind a coach that wants to win. I mind a coach that wants to win at all costs.

But back to the homeschooling and public school sports. I think it can be done and done well. But I think it needs to be up to the individual school - and maybe even that particular team. Team dynamics is a big deal and one person can make or break it. It should be up to them to make that determination. I think. I am sure I will talk myself out of that before long.
0 Replies

anky2930

Reply Sun 22 Apr, 2012 11:03 pm
In my opinion they can play in public school teams only for practice and for tournaments they should join their home team.
0 Replies

Ashley987654

Reply Fri 15 May, 2015 03:50 am
@boomerang,
It's undoubtedly YES. Every child have a right to play. How can we restrict and decide whether to play or not. Kids are kids whether they might be home schooled or public schooled.
0 Replies