Overreaction or right reaction at Miramonte school?

Mame

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2012 07:06 pm
@tsarstepan,
Oh yeah, this is the States - I forgot for a minute there.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2012 07:14 pm
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:

I'm beginning to change my mind about it being an overreaction.

Another teacher has been implicated. This one, a woman, is accused of delivering kids to the "cookie" teacher's classroom.

It looks like kids have been complaining for a long time and that it has always been ignored: http://www.ktla.com/news/landing/ktla-miramonte-second-teacher-removed,0,7913135.story?page=1&track=rss

That's what I was saying. Was it just these 2, or more? Were the 2 or more teachers aware of each other? Possibility.

What I see in the comments here are the typical "you can't make everyone happy" theme.

irish said maybe the parents didn't think enough was being done NOW (emphasis mine) because the teachers HAD been doing this in the past. Again, are we supposed to go back in time to when it was happening?

We can only act in the present.

On the other hand, we have parents saying "it's not fair" that the teachers have to be moved.

You'd think an adult would have learned that "it's not fair" is a given in this world. It wasn't fair the kids were abused in the first place.

It's times like these when I want to look the other person in the eye and sincerely ask "So, what's your solution?"

Unfortunatley, the response would most likely ignore the question and immediately go back to all the things they don't like about what is being done in this moment.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2012 07:16 pm
@msolga,
msolga wrote:

Who knows, some may have actually reported what they knew to the appropriate authorities? -

In the link I posted it was said that girl(s) went to who they thought would be the appropriate authorities, and were told to "stop making things up"
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2012 07:17 pm
@CalamityJane,
CalamityJane wrote:

This is unbelievable! Here is a man convicted numerous times of child molestation and the LA Unified School just reassigned him over and over again. It seems like that Miramonte school was the last station for many
troubled teachers. No wonder they removed them all.

Things like this make me so angry. So many kids could have been spared from molestation, if the L.A. Unified School System would have done its homework.

Sounds just like what the Catholic Church were doing with pedophile priests for years and years.
Mame

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2012 07:17 pm
@boomerang,
How could this **** have a) happened (and in a SCHOOL, no less), and b) continued for so long without the children being listened to??

I worked at a centre for a year where 1-5 yr old abused children lived until a better lifestyle was sorted out for them. We had one employee (male, as it turns out) who was suspected of child molestation. The Director didn't have concrete proof, but once she was made aware of it, she limited his hours and access with the children (always on with another worker who was aware of the situation), and then didn't renew his contract. God only knows where he ended up, but she made sure there were copious notes in his file.
chai2

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2012 07:18 pm
@Mame,
Mame wrote:

How could this **** have a) happened (and in a SCHOOL, no less), and b) continued for so long without the children being listened to??

Because it wasn't in someones best interest to acknowledge it.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2012 07:31 pm
@Mame,
I read an article that mentioned (briefly) the culture of the community that has kids going to this school -- mostly uneducated, Latinos that had immense respect for teachers. They saw the teachers/school as their kid's ticket out of poverty. They didn't question the teachers.

Any time the parents did complain on behalf of their kids they were told that it was their kid's imagination. Nothing was wrong, they were assured.

The "cookie teacher" was removed from the school over a year ago but the parents were never told why. There was no communication from the school about anything that happened.

Mame

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2012 07:42 pm
@boomerang,
The whole thing is just so yucky. Reminiscent of Chai's pool episode, in fact. Or maybe not. But certainly the Catholic Church and some hockey coaches (in Canada). Disgusting.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2012 08:04 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:
Sounds just like what the Catholic Church were doing with pedophile priests for years and years.

Yes, we had a case here in San Diego, mostly involving Latino kids as they're the devote catholic and very submissive towards priests. It took good 20 years for the diocese to fess up and pay out - they fought to the end and tried to hide money everywhere, aside from never acknowledging the wrongdoings of all priests involved. Many of the priests were sent to different dioceses and except for punitive damages there were no other charges. Evil or Very Mad
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2012 09:01 pm
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:
I read an article that mentioned (briefly) the culture of the community that has kids going to this school -- mostly uneducated, Latinos that had immense respect for teachers. They saw the teachers/school as their kid's ticket out of poverty. They didn't question the teachers.
That's very depressing since the academic achievement record of this school is shockingly dismal. And yes, the records for 2011 show the demographic to be 98% Hispanic and 2% African-American. The 'cookie' teacher's performance was especially atrocious...one report I read placed him with an 80% failure rate year after year so I suppose devotion to teaching wasn't a goal for him. And yet, the school's teacher/student ratio isn't bad -- 18/1 for 3rd grade with around $12K spent annually per child. I'm not sure how that compares to other school districts in California. LAUSD has an average dropout rate of around 26%, so I'd guess it's even higher in the Miramonte area (or the area in which this school is located).
0 Replies

scott321

Reply Sat 3 Mar, 2012 04:27 pm
@boomerang,
Can you imagine being, say, for example, a janitor at this school who works nights and doesn't ... Get out of here right now! ... TarksTheGreatest wrote: My first reaction to this was: ... Even so, though, that's still an overreaction.
0 Replies